It is currently Wed, 05-08-20, 1:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Release
PostPosted: Wed, 15-01-20, 19:08 GMT 

Guckytos wrote:
t00fri wrote:
Hi Christian,

many thanks for your continuing interest in celestia.Sci. We are working hard with a private GitHub repository. Due to a number of entirely new implemented features we are still unable to predict a reasonably accurate release date for the moment.

Cheers,
Fridger

Ahh Fridger, you have entered that stage which all programmers shall fear: The realm of "Just one more feature". Because due to that realm nothing will ever published, as there is always one more new thing or a better method to be implemented.
And meanwhile the base of probable interested users is starting to dwindle down to nearly nothing.

I understand while you are going down this road. You want to deliver a good, solid software with all the right features. Well, this has led to the death of a lot of good programs, that never got released.

You probably know that kind of trivia as good or better than I do. So, to prevent Celestia.Sci going that way, you should really consider doing a design feature freeze. Remove the errors and inconsistencies up to that point and release.

Best regards,

Christian

I second that motion Christian. I will be turning 73 on Feb. 28th! I hope I live long enough to see this released and maybe enjoy it for a few years :DD :DD

Orbiter username ShuttleCommander.

PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-20, 2:24 GMT 

Yep, I have been waiting for more than five years, 66 now. I am sure the owner of the project and the developers are having lots of fun and enjoying the project; that is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat, 28-03-20, 23:52 GMT 

It is now abundantly obviously clear that Celestia Sci will never be released in our lifetime. It has been hinted as releasable for over 6 years now. I admired Fridger's efforts to make it really spectacular, but his refusal to release at least a first version of it all of these years, while bragging to supporters how great it is while they wait in vain, is clear evidence that there never will be a release date.

PostPosted: Sun, 29-03-20, 9:30 GMT 
Site Admin

Since no one is able to make a trustworthy prediction about the COVID-19 pandemic, how can I know about the celestia.Sci release...? ;-) My collaborators also inject one year breaks for professional reasons etc.

Be assured that I continue working despite Corona!

Just two days ago, I have successfully applied at GitHub for a two year extension of my previous plan with unlimited free private celestia.Sci repositories...

Fridger

Post subject: Good Bye and Thanks
PostPosted: Mon, 13-04-20, 11:44 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Since no one is able to make a trustworthy prediction about the COVID-19 pandemic, how can I know about the celestia.Sci release...? ;-) My collaborators also inject one year breaks for professional reasons etc.

Be assured that I continue working despite Corona!

Just two days ago, I have successfully applied at GitHub for a two year extension of my previous plan with unlimited free private celestia.Sci repositories...

Fridger

Fridger,

after this post above I have finally made up my mind and after something like 20 years staying in the Celestia/Celestia.Sci-community and sometimes contributing to it I say it is enough (for me).

I appreciate your work and effort, but as fsgregs has said before, Celestia.Sci will never be released. Which is a real pity as the pictures that you dangle from time to time in front of our donkey noses show real nice things.
But who apart from the few hardcore enthusiasts here even know about the project? You always wave off attempts by people to help getting things done or create a release on the basis that they don't have enough skills in programing AND astrophysics. Well, that may be true, but how would you get new people and skills into the project when noone knows about it?
And noone has something to try out and then have some ideas for improvement or even wants to contribute?

That usual ignoring of the real question from fsgregs and giving the usual blabla answer was the final straw that broke the camels back.

I fully agree with
Quote:
It is now abundantly obviously clear that Celestia Sci will never be released in our lifetime. It has been hinted as releasable for over 6 years now. I admired Fridger's efforts to make it really spectacular, but his refusal to release at least a first version of it all of these years, while bragging to supporters how great it is while they wait in vain, is clear evidence that there never will be a release date.

Best regards and farewell to all who know me,
Christian

P.S.: Fridger, you can delete this account if you want or leave it. I don't care (anymore).

PostPosted: Mon, 13-04-20, 12:40 GMT 
Site Admin

Bye bye Christian and take care...
Cheers,

Fridger
PS: I will not delete your account.