It is currently Fri, 22-09-17, 10:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat, 29-03-14, 15:38 GMT 

Cham wrote:
Celestial Phineas wrote:
Yep. I often get confused when I see the Celestia's camera is running in a faster-than-light way. That's impossible in reality.

No, it IS possible ! Read again my explication above.

Glad to know you, sir.

I see. You mean a travel in position without motion at all, like to switch the position in Stellarium, but Celestia only makes it more smooth.

I also noticed the right coner of the Celestia interface: a goto command does not mean anything to the speed stuff. Only an acceleration command does so, right?

However, most people would think, the Celestia's camara is like the window of a spacecraft. Since the change of v and a goto will both affect what we see, it's hard to tell the difference.

Though I'm still a high school student and know little on relativity, I quite believe nothing can travel faster than light.

With v increasing, the mass is also increasing, and the energy it needs is going to be infinity! I'm always thinking there must be something carrying Celestia's camera in the simulation, and maybe I was wrong.

In some simulation programs, eg. Space Engine, treat the camera speed as the motion speed. That certainly causes traveling faster than light. I dislike the idea.

BTW, I seem to be making spelling and gramma mistakes, sorry.

捫參歷井仰脅息。以手撫膺坐長嘆。

PostPosted: Wed, 14-05-14, 18:59 GMT 

HSV slider(s) to change label/guides colors on the fly...

PostPosted: Wed, 14-05-14, 19:30 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
HSV slider(s) to change label/guides colors on the fly...

We do have HSV-related sliders already that change the star and DSO color schemes:

Attachment:
cm2.jpg
cm2.jpg [ 9.06 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]

1) vivid colors at all scales
2) grayscale colors at low light/ large distance smoothly turning into vivid colors in close-up views
3) grayscale throughout

As to label and grid colors there was an intense artistic "competition" between Cham and ElChristou at shatters long ago. The result seems to me far more color-harmonic than what an on-the-fly slider could provide.

Fridger

PostPosted: Wed, 14-05-14, 23:03 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
As to label and grid colors there was an intense artistic "competition" between Cham and ElChristou at shatters long ago. The result seems to me far more color-harmonic than what an on-the-fly slider could provide.

Yes, I remember and indeed my grids' color are those; but I thought mostly at labels for a main reason: let suppose a label feature with a generic color like the color of some areas of a map for which that label has been not developed but it is still concerned about, it could be unreadable and one must edit its .SSC; through HSV the guy could find a quick compromise... (lowest priority, ;) ).

PostPosted: Wed, 19-11-14, 20:50 GMT 

These are not deep space features but ones I think would enhance Celestia.Sci's realism:

1. Lightning. Random single or multiple pixel flashes visible on the planet's night side. Variables in the .ssc file might include
Average number of flashes per minute.
Size of flashes (in pixels. For instance 1 - 5 pixels might be designated as [ 1 5 ]) Or if not a range, a single size in pixels designated by a single numeral.
Brightness, perhaps on a scale of 1 - 10?
Percentage of flashes in mid latitudes (30 North to 30 South), or a set algorithm that incorporates the planet's axial tilt to produce the greatest concentration of flashes in the planet's "tropics" for terrestrial planets. This line might also have the option of being omitted entirely to produce a more dispersed concentration of flashes on gas giants and other types of planets with atmospheres.

2, Animated auroras via concentric, texturized, cylindrical bands around the poles of the planet. Variables in the .ssc file might include
Height of the band (in kilometers)
Diameter of the band (in kilometers)
Texture for band one (a .png file of a semi-transparent wavy green/red aurora)
Rotation rate for band one (in degrees per hour)

Same variables for band two, perhaps with a different aurora image.

Same variables for band three, perhaps with a different aurora image.

Offset (in degrees from the pole) to center the auroras on a magnetic pole that is not on the geographical pole

By setting different rotation rates to the bands, a slowly shifting, ever-changing glow would result.

3. A similar effect might be obtained for comets using multiple .pngs or models of comet tails and dust trails that fade in and out over time

PostPosted: Wed, 19-11-14, 22:45 GMT 

Actually, your post had me thinking. Since we know Celestia supports sprites and sprites models, Celestia.Sci does as well, your requests might actually be able to be implemented using sprites/sprites models, should the developers choose to take on this idea. Although I'd suspect these requests would impact performance a bit, especially on lower end machines.

PostPosted: Wed, 19-11-14, 23:57 GMT 

An aurora model (.ssc & textures) is within Cham's Magnetic Earth, I think. Once it was there.

PostPosted: Thu, 20-11-14, 0:21 GMT 

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Actually, your post had me thinking. Since we know Celestia supports sprites and sprites models, Celestia.Sci does as well, your requests might actually be able to be implemented using sprites/sprites models, should the developers choose to take on this idea. Although I'd suspect these requests would impact performance a bit, especially on lower end machines.

Aside hard-coded feature, flashes could be made through ScriptedRotation/Orbit directive and LUA CELXX module; both for movements and for appearing/desappearing of .SSC sprites ["object:setvisible(true/false)"] with some random timing. I'm not sure about which and how much LUA declarations/commands are supported by CELXX modules, though.

PostPosted: Sat, 22-11-14, 9:57 GMT 

Still... true type fonts for better support for Asian languages... I don't want to see so many "?"s standing for the un-textured characters any longer... (That sounds like something unimportant, but it really matters if you use a language with so many characters instead of an alphabet. Besides, wouldn't it be exciting to see a smiley stuff when running a script? :D )
Cosmology visualization is already an exciting subject. Looking forward to seeing .Sci make relativity easier understood and more "visual", I guess.
Since Dr. Schrempp concentrate more on cosmology, I don't expect more improvement on the solar system any longer. But .Sci's galaxies are alrady excellent... That's enough for eye candy addicts, hum. ;)
As I've said in my first post, an alternative star name catalog is still one of my expectations.
Anyone have thought of a red lunar eclipse? I think it is possible to simulate this optical phenomenon, while at least as far as I know, no other simulator has ever done this sort of thing.
Hope our expectations will not make the dev team to tired. Best wishes here.

捫參歷井仰脅息。以手撫膺坐長嘆。

PostPosted: Sat, 22-11-14, 10:28 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi Hanghang,

we sure keep these wishes in our notebook. But coding them requires lots of menpower and associated expertise. Unfortunately, the celestia.Sci team is still very small and experienced members are busy with "real life" constraints...

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 23-11-14, 8:42 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Hi Hanghang,

we sure keep these wishes in our notebook. But coding them requires lots of menpower and associated expertise. Unfortunately, the celestia.Sci team is still very small and experienced members are busy with "real life" constraints...

Fridger

Real life is always a problem... I think I should work harder in real life to get to a better university. Just find I'm too innocent and ignorant right now.
And, thank you, Dr. Schrempp. Everything will be better. The dev team won't always be so small, I believe.

捫參歷井仰脅息。以手撫膺坐長嘆。

PostPosted: Sun, 27-12-15, 19:02 GMT 

Greetings, I have been working on a Lunar Eclipse model here that might be of interest:

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/lunar/lunar.html

It has views both from Earth and from the Moon.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon, 28-12-15, 7:53 GMT 
Site Admin

scalbers wrote:
Greetings, I have been working on a Lunar Eclipse model here that might be of interest:

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/lunar/lunar.html

It has views both from Earth and from the Moon.

Steve

Hi Steve,

your eclipse simulations look very impressive and pretty "work-intensive"!
Would you have an idea what it would amount to implementing your software into celestia.Sci?? And to which extent could your eclipse simulation of the moon be generalized to other eclipsing systems?

Thanks for letting us know about your work.

Fridger