It is currently Fri, 24-11-17, 18:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: About Atmosphere
PostPosted: Sun, 23-03-14, 13:40 GMT 

Well, I should say the atmosphere rendering is excellent. And I read quite carefully the topic on atmosphere at shatters. I also translated it into a 10,000-word Chinese material. So, the atmosphere rendering is not excactly physics accurate,right?

There's one thing I should point out, excuse me, but as far as I am concerned, the scattering model in celestia, only gives it a right color, but not a very accurate action, like refringence, not considered.

Err, the red moon we see during a lunar eclipse is also because of the scattering of the earth's atmosphere. Will we see it in the simulation of celestia.Sci?

Many thanks to your reply.

Post subject: Re: About Atmosphere
PostPosted: Mon, 24-03-14, 11:49 GMT 
Site Admin

Celestial Phineas wrote:
Well, I should say the atmosphere rendering is excellent. And I read quite carefully the topic on atmosphere at shatters. I also translated it into a 10,000-word Chinese material. So, the atmosphere rendering is not excactly physics accurate,right?

There's one thing I should point out, excuse me, but as far as I am concerned, the scattering model in celestia, only gives it a right color, but not a very accurate action, like refringence, not considered.

Err, the red moon we see during a lunar eclipse is also because of the scattering of the earth's atmosphere. Will we see it in the simulation of celestia.Sci?

Hanghang,

the rendering of atmospheres is relevant for planets and certain moons (Titan,..). Given that the celestia.Sci dev team is still pretty small, the rendering of celestia.Sci atmospheres is still unchanged compared to Celestia 1.7.x (SVN).

The plan is certainly a much more sophisticated rendering according to Mie Theory. Some basics were also discussed in my old yet very popular thread:
Manifestations of Atmospheric Light Scattering (Mie Theory)

Currently, the main working emphasis is on giving celestia.Sci its characteristic "personality" via implementing many new features in the DeepSky regime, before we will have time to improv things in the solar system...

Fridger

Post subject: Re: About Atmosphere
PostPosted: Sat, 29-03-14, 10:54 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Celestial Phineas wrote:

Hanghang,

the rendering of atmospheres is relevant for planets and certain moons (Titan,..). Given that the celestia.Sci dev team is still pretty small, the rendering of celestia.Sci atmospheres is still unchanged compared to Celestia 1.7.x (SVN).

The plan is certainly a much more sophisticated rendering according to Mie Theory. Some basics were also discussed in my old yet very popular thread:
Manifestations of Atmospheric Light Scattering (Mie Theory)

Currently, the main working emphasis is on giving celestia.Sci its characteristic "personality" via implementing many new features in the DeepSky regime, before we will have time to improv things in the solar system...

Fridger

Oh, I guess I'm too cared about our earth... I'm looking forward to seeing a better deep sky as well. Best wishes for a more brilliant cosmos.

Thank you for telling me about your research on Mie Theory, Dr. Schrempp! This is what I am longing for! But I'm afraid, as a high school student that does not even know Maxwell's theory very well, it could be rather difficult. I'll try. Thank you again.

Maybe this is a little out of topic, but I think I should really post it here (BTW):

I probably have to make myself clear and brief in my latest topic on star names:

1. Will an alternative star name catalog loaded from an addon foler be available? Or: Will we get the chance to locale the star names via Gettext or QT linguist...

2. True Type fonts in stead of .txf under consideration?

Sorry for asking again, but I am not very sure I understood your reply in a right way.

Looking forward to your reply!