Hello, where to get them?

Post subject: Re: celestia.sci sources
PostPosted: Thu, 10-04-14, 14:23 GMT 
Site Admin

375gnu wrote:
Hello, where to get them?

Hi,
welcome at CelestialMatters!

Currently, the celestia.Sci sources are only available to our still small developer team. I'll switch to public development under a GNU GPLv2 license ASAP, when the celestia.Sci code has acquired the desired distinctive "personality", to stand out strongly besides Celestia (the development of which has stopped).

As is happening all that often, we are somewhat behind schedule as to this goal. All features of Celestia 1.7.x (SVN) are still offered in celestia.Sci. The main focus of celestia.Sci development is to strongly expand its extragalactic and cosmological visualization capabilities.

Fridger

PostPosted: Thu, 05-03-15, 16:47 GMT 

Hi Fridger,

Nearly one year after this topic started, we're celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Free Software Foundation. I think that would be a fantastic gift to have a great astronomical project released again. I understand your reluctance to release code that you can't maintain by yourself, but I suggest that releasing it would enable other developers to help developing and maintaining it. As I said in my first post, the Devuan project is interested in using Celestia to build our visual identity. So there would be interest in packaging Celestia.sci as a result. More visibility would certainly mean more bug reports, but also more brain power to throw at them.

Please make it GPLv2+ or GPLv3!

PostPosted: Thu, 05-03-15, 17:36 GMT 
Site Admin

hellekin wrote:
Hi Fridger,

Nearly one year after this topic started, we're celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Free Software Foundation. I think that would be a fantastic gift to have a great astronomical project released again. I understand your reluctance to release code that you can't maintain by yourself, but I suggest that releasing it would enable other developers to help developing and maintaining it. As I said in my first post, the Devuan project is interested in using Celestia to build our visual identity. So there would be interest in packaging Celestia.sci as a result. More visibility would certainly mean more bug reports, but also more brain power to throw at them.

Please make it GPLv2+ or GPLv3!

hellekin,

I basically agree, of course. Yet, potential new team members without a high level of knowledge in Astro-physics/Cosmology and/or expertise in openGL / Qt5 / C++ coding could well cause more email traffic than actual progress ;-) . That's why I fancy e.g. graduate/master students of Astronomy/Astrophysics/Space science ... . In return, the latter would gain experience with actual research projects under the guidance of an experienced Prof.

Fridger