It is currently Thu, 14-12-17, 8:04 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat, 12-04-14, 2:26 GMT 

Hello all!

I come here every week to check on the status, hoping celestia.Sci has been converted to public release status. It's hard to have patience when something like this is on the horizon!

A couple of questions related to development:

1) Is there a way to donate to the project? If not, will there be a way? I would happily pay for this program.

2) I know you probably get asked this constantly fridger, but I'm just wondering if it's possible we can have any sort of guess as to an ETA for the public release? I for one wouldn't hold you to it, but what is your team's current best estimate?

Thank you!

-matt

PostPosted: Sat, 12-04-14, 13:05 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,
mdreak wrote:
Hello all!
I come here every week to check on the status, hoping celestia.Sci has been converted to public release status. It's hard to have patience when something like this is on the horizon!

matt, thanks very much for your continued interest in celestia.Sci!
Quote:
A couple of questions related to development:

1) Is there a way to donate to the project? If not, will there be a way? I would happily pay for this program.

2) I know you probably get asked this constantly fridger, but I'm just wondering if it's possible we can have any sort of guess as to an ETA for the public release? I for one wouldn't hold you to it, but what is your team's current best estimate?

Unfortunately, it's very hard at this stage to give some time guestimate for celestia.Sci to go public. The team is still very small (two + myself), and both team members are currently extremely busy (final weeks of Master exam etc.). So I can hardly say more than I did elsewhere 2 days ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=652#p12274

I continue to work hard on the code and data analysis, but celestia.Sci is much too big for one person!

So what is far more urgently needed at this time than a donation, are more motivated developers with a solid background in

Astronomy | Astrophysics | Cosmology,
Perl scripting,
scientific data analysis and of course
openGL and C++ coding.

Clearly, I would be very happy already to find volunteers with a subset of the listed abilities ;-).

At this occasion, let me repeat my earlier invitation to interested students of astronomy and / or astrophysics and /or space studies with a good C++ (or Perl) background, to participate in the project! In return, participants will gain experience in scientific working methodology under the guidance of an experienced astro-particle Prof. who has successfully supervised a large number of PhD students in the course of time ...

One of our team members, Dawoon Jung (aka DW), just finished his Master thesis & individual coding project with the title:

Visualizing Gravitational Lensing Phenomena in Real-time using GPU shaders in celestia.Sci!

He was a longtime developer of Celestia and currently is a graduate student at the International Space University (ISU) in Strasbourg/France. This Master project is officially supervised by an advisor from ISU and by myself as (external) co-advisor. So you see such things are also possible around here!

Regards,
Fridger