It is currently Fri, 15-12-17, 14:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun, 15-06-14, 13:47 GMT 

I really like the "mark" function in Celestia, but it is unfortunate that the green markings cannot be saved or connected. I think it would be very useful for some users to be able to create and save interplanetary/interstellar/intergalactic routes, mark different regions, make spatial maps, color spatial regions etc.. It would be nice to have some data about the "maps", for example the lengh of the route in parsecs or the number of stars (planets etc.) in marked spatial regions.

Is it possible? It would help to create some futuristic human science playground...

PostPosted: Sun, 15-06-14, 16:03 GMT 
Site Admin

sjohn wrote:
I really like the "mark" function in Celestia, but it is unfortunate that the green markings cannot be saved or connected. I think it would be very useful for some users to be able to create and save interplanetary/interstellar/intergalactic routes, mark different regions, make spatial maps, color spatial regions etc.. It would be nice to have some data about the "maps", for example the lengh of the route in parsecs or the number of stars (planets etc.) in marked spatial regions.

Is it possible? It would help to create some futuristic human science playground...

Hi sjohn,

First of all: Welcome to the CelestialMatters (CM) forum!

As to your request/question: Such connected routes are certainly possible. Yet -- given the current smallness of our dev team, this feature can unfortunately not range very high up in our todo list.

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 15-06-14, 16:23 GMT 

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

Yes of course it is not a main function...

I'm a little bit suprised that it is so hard to find programmers or sponsors for such a brilliant project...

I think providing the option to save markers would be enough for a start...

PostPosted: Sun, 15-06-14, 16:35 GMT 
Site Admin

sjohn wrote:
Hi
I'm a little bit suprised that it is so hard to find programmers or sponsors for such a brilliant project...

Well what I need are people knowing astrophysics at a scientific level and being very competent in C++/OpenGL coding. That combination is not so frequent, unfortunately...

I am very interested, for example, in astronomy/astrophysics/ cosmology students. One team member (Dawoon Jung) has just completed his Master work in part by implementing Gravitational Lensing into celestia.Sci. Supervisors were a Prof. from his University (the International Space University (ISU) in Strasbourg/France) and myself.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-14, 3:55 GMT 

sjohn,

I'm sure that if you were to put some effort into learning lua/celx, then most of what you want could probably be achieved using that.
This would allow you to write your own scripts to calculate distances etc. without requiring the dev team to write any extra c++.

Just google "celestia celx" or see these links:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/Celx_Scripting

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/Celx_Scripting/CELX_Lua_Methods

CC

PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-14, 15:37 GMT 

Chuft-captain, you are right, but you should also consider the fact that some people use their creativity and intellectual capacity for other purposes...I simply don't have the time to do scripting, the same way a reader doesn't have the time to write a sci-fi novel...I would like to write a novel but I don't really want to spend my time with scripting...writing is hard in itself... division of labour I guess...

PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-14, 15:43 GMT 

One more thing: I think you may underestimate the fact that not only scientists or hobbyists or amateurs use this kind of software...it is inspirational, not only logical or scientific...