It is currently Tue, 12-12-17, 16:18 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Release
PostPosted: Mon, 03-07-17, 10:09 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
challenges that have to be surmounted before a first release: like switching from a SVN-based celestia.Sci repository to GitHub.

I'm sure you know this:
https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-importer/
and this:
https://gist.github.com/barrysteyn/2ba947313e0a4ad086c3

Unfortunately, I don't have hands-on experience with this (or with hosting websites) myself, but maybe you could ask for help in this forum? People are eager to see progress, so maybe they are willing to help?

By the way - you could also just stay with SVN for now. Or do you host the SVN server yourself and are concerned that it can't handle the load?

Steffen

PostPosted: Mon, 03-07-17, 13:08 GMT 
Site Admin

Thanks for your suggestions and links.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 18-07-17, 19:54 GMT 

fsgregs wrote:
Fridger:

It has been over 4 years since you split away from Celestia development, and launched Celestia.Sci. In that time, you and the few member of the development team have altered the program from a great space simulation into a spectacular one. In particular, your development of galaxies has been just mind-blowing. They look so real now that looking at your pictures in the forum, it is easy to envision the program as a real window into the real universe, with the ability to accurately travel to most places in the mapped universe.

Respectfully,
Frank

Thank you very much, Frank, for writing that post. You have put what I was considering in the last time in better words than I would have been able to do.

t00fri wrote:
Hi Frank,

Quote:
It has been over 4 years since you split away from Celestia development, and launched Celestia.Sci.

First of all, just for the books:
The celestia.Sci "adventure" started already in 2010, i.e. 7 years ago. Until 2013, I worked on it alone and owned the Copyright of the new code, which was shared later with the other team members who had joined in meanwhile.

Hi Fridger, wow, time really flies by, doesn't it? Is it really already seven years?

t00fri wrote:
[*] Unfortunately "real life" seems to be catching up on them... For example Dawoon (aka DW or dirkpitt) has won a permanent research position with KARI (Korean AeroSpace Research Institute) as of January first of this year. It turns out that he was assigned to a department that is well known for overworking their members (with DW being father of a sweet little girl since a short time!! ). So, as a consequence, Dawoon was entirely missing from the celestia.Sci team for a period of > 4 months since Jan. 1st. Too bad, since it was in very close collaboration of myself with him that led to a general and completely new framework for Gravitational Lensing in celestia.Sci! See e.g. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=715

Gratulations to Dawoon, for good things happening to him. Hope they will continue to happen in the future. Had already in an indirect way to do with KARI through one of their satellites. Perhaps we will meet in that way, who knows.

t00fri wrote:
[*] Last not least, about 12 weeks ago, my wife stumbled on our terrace and fell badly, ending up with a complicated fracture of her right-hand shoulder joint. Since she was completely helpless thereafter, my spare time was entirely used up by helping her with the simple things of daily life! Fortunately, since she exercised with very high discipline throughout the past 12 weeks, she is again in surprisingly good condition meanwhile...and I can continue with coding ;-)[/list]

Autsch. Give my best wishes to your wife, Fridger. Good to hear that it is working out again and recovering fine.

How about reviving the "Welcome: Aims and status of Celestia.Sci" post with a rough schedule or list of what actions still need to be tackled before a release?
So you would have people knowing what the status is and progress would be more visible.

Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Wed, 19-07-17, 7:53 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi Christian,
Quote:
Hi Fridger, wow, time really flies by, doesn't it? Is it really already seven years?

Indeed, and I started developing Celestia in 2002 (!) just 15 years ago ;-)

Many thanks for your good wishes that I passed on to my wife. Meanwhile, we have successfully started with mountain hiking again ...

Cheers,
Fridger