It is currently Wed, 26-09-18, 11:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

What do you think of the CM template?
Poll ended at Sun, 11-11-07, 1:05 GMT
A crime against humanity 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Worse than the old one 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Better than the old one 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I like it, but... 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
I love it! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 1:05 GMT 
Site Admin

We have been working on a custom template for our forum, to go with our website design. It is now in the finishing stage.

Before we make this the default template (don´t worry, the three subsilver flavours will still be accessible to registered users!), we would like our members to help us test it.

So if you are inclined to, please try it out, and post your misgivings, bug reports, etc. in this thread. It will help us polish the template even further. Actually, you have the chance now to directly influence how the forum will work for you in your browser!

The CM template is a radical departure from the phpbb designs you are used to, and the navigation system is entirely different; this is an attempt at making a logical layout where everything always is available and always in one place, instead of buttons and links spread randomly around on the page...

There is also some new functionalities, particularily in the Post New Topic window.

To get the CM template, just go to your profile and select it in the "Forum Layout" dropdown.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated; we want to make this an intuitive and easy environment, and user experience of it is very helpful to do that.

Thanks,
- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 1:49 GMT 

Actually, Runar, I like this layout a LOT... The "but" in my vote was just because I'll have to get used to
yet ANOTHER new version of something I USED to know a lot about.

I do really like the simplicity - at least it looks to be simpler, but you let me know if this post gets on okay.

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this stuff. You people just amaze me with your energy. Of course,
you ain't all old geezers like me either. :lol:

EDIT: The Avatars need to be a bit larger in my opinion, but -other than that - looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:01 GMT 

Come to think of it, I DO love it Runar. After I looked around a bit, and played with the options for a little while, I discovered that
even us Brain-Dead types can get things done more quickly.

Very nice, and I like the way in which you can clean out your PM's too. This is also very easy to do compared to the normal
approach.

Thumbs up from 'ol Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Thanks!
But we *are* looking for bugs, errors and counterintuitive functions, so please report such things as you come across it!

PS:
Do you notice the new RSS feed icon in your address bar?
It gives you the 10 newest posts.

And if you don´t like that, you can go to the "Introduction & Help" menu and select Syndication to customize any feed you like off the forums.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:10 GMT 

Yeah, I'm still playing with it... I like the "New" post option too, but - thus far - I haven't seen any bugs.
While I'm here though, how do you see which major topics have been updated with new messages?

I haven't found anything which indicates new posts to a particular topic yet. I see the nice new buttons
in front of the main CM sections, but no indication that anything has occurred there. Is this intentional?

Thanks, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:13 GMT 
Site Admin

- On the index page, if there is a new post, the button turns yellow.

- In the forums (or your mailbox), a new post is indicated by the title turning bold, larger and almost black, while the grey vertical bar to the left of the title turns yellow.

- If you have a new PM, it looks the same in your mailbox. You will also get a blinking light right next to the Messages Link in the menu.

... I guess you have read all the topics already, or you should have seen this ;-)

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:22 GMT 

Runar,

If you press the "Shortcuts" header on the right side of the page, and then press the "Get New Posts" tag, it keeps
returning me to the same three topics even though I have read all of them. Don't know if this is because you keep
writing new posts after I do or not, but you're certainly not writing them in all three of my "New Posts" area.

Also, I have NOT seen any yellow buttons or bold text yet. I'll play with it for a day or two and then give you a better report.

EDIT: Also haven't seen any way to "Mark all messages as read." Just FYI... Okay, I FOUND it, and used it,
but I'm STILL getting returned to the same three topics when I look for "New Posts."

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by BobHegwood on Sun, 04-11-07, 2:28 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:25 GMT 

I like the integration of the forum with the main CM content. Much better fit.
A minor "but...":
At first I thought various forum actions like "post new topic" had disappeared... but it turns out they've been moved to the sidebar on the side of the screen. It's kind of weird I think because I was expecting the sidebar to only contain links to members' pages and news links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 2:28 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Runar,

If you press the "Shortcuts" header on the right side of the page, and then press the "Get New Posts" tag, it keeps
returning me to the same three topics even though I have read all of them. Don't know if this is because you keep
writing new posts after I do or not, but you're certainly not writing them in all three of my "New Posts" area.

Well, that is a phpbb function, not something i invented - i just added a link to it. So i think "Get new posts" means "New this session", not "unread".

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 9:40 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Also, I have NOT seen any yellow buttons or bold text yet. I'll play with it for a day or two and then give you a better report

Do you mean that you aren´t seeing this behaviour?:

(Here, the Testing, Profiling & Bugs thread appears Unread).

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 12:01 GMT 

Okay Runar,

Today, I DO see the yellow indicators as you have shown above. I did NOT see any of these yesterday though.

Also, I DO see the shaded holes for the main threads, so apparently all is now working like it should. Looks
good, but I'm amazed that only two of us have tried it yet. The layout is VERY nice once you get used to it.

MANY thanks, my friend. Take a break why don'tcha? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 14:09 GMT 

Runar, the yellow indicator for me doesn't look like your screenshot.

I'm using Firefox, and I get an indented yellow square, not a flush rectangle.
(after clicking Get New Posts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 04-11-07, 16:32 GMT 
Site Admin

dirkpitt wrote:
Runar, the yellow indicator for me doesn't look like your screenshot.

I'm using Firefox, and I get an indented yellow square, not a flush rectangle.
(after clicking Get New Posts)

Hm... Can you post a screenshot?

EDIT: i know what it is. Will fix.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 05-11-07, 1:59 GMT 

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 05-11-07, 22:36 GMT 

Do you have a brain-read machine? Just tonight was thought about the advantage of having a RSS feed for a forum and then what I find? The Celestial Matters RSS feed! I like this feature! My critics about the new layout:

- the same color for: topics - author - last post can create some confusion for a superficial reader in who is who; perhaps the author and the last post should be of different colors;

- the avatars are too small and cutted;

for the rest nothing to say; I like this new layout

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next