It is currently Wed, 17-10-18, 11:50 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat, 10-11-07, 23:03 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Yesterday evening I returned from a week in Mexico City. The reason was that I am an Executive Board member of a very large academic network (HELEN), supporting the mobility and training of young Latin American scientists, working in High Energy Physics.

HELEN=High Energy Physics Latinamerican-European Network
http://www.roma1.infn.it/exp/helen/

The HELEN Executive Board consists of one representant each from LA: Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Columbia, Brazil, Chile, Argentina and from Europe: CERN (Geneva) , Germany & DESY (me), France, Spain, Italy.

During the last three years, HELEN was tremendously successful. So we will be going to apply for an extension, HELEN+, for another three years at the EU in Brussels.

I returned with many new insights about Mexico and Mexico City in particular.

Since some have asked for my photographic impressions, here they are.
http://www.celestialmatters.org/users/t00fri/images2/index.html

Note all photos are taken with a 2 Mpix mobile phone camera (1600x1200). They have been downscaled to 800x600! Note also that this was not a holiday but mostly hard work ;-)

Bye Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Thu, 24-12-09, 10:33 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-11-07, 0:36 GMT 
Site Admin

Thank you for sharing!
Oh man, what a ceiling...

And the strange skeleton group with that kid, what *is* that...? Very, very foreign...

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-11-07, 0:49 GMT 
Site Admin

rthorvald wrote:
Thank you for sharing!
Oh man, what a ceiling...

And the strange skeleton group with that kid, what *is* that...? Very, very foreign...

- rthorvald

Runar,

these skeletons are leftovers from the Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead).

Let me cite from here
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/muertos.html

From mid-October through the first week of November, markets and shops all over Mexico are repleted with the special accouterments for the Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead). These include all manner of skeletons and other macabre toys; intricate tissue paper cut-outs called papel picado; elaborate wreaths and crosses decorated with paper or silk flowers; candles and votive lights; and fresh seasonal flowers, particularly cempazuchiles (marigolds) and barro de obispo (cockscomb). Among the edible goodies offered are skulls, coffins and the like made from sugar, chocolate or amaranth seeds and special baked goods, notably sugary sweet rolls called pan de muerto that come in various sizes invariably topped with bits of dough shaped like bones and, in some regions, unadorned dark breads molded into humanoid figures called animas (souls). All of these goods are destined for the buyer's ofrenda de muertos (offering to the dead).

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-11-07, 0:58 GMT 
Site Admin

I know of this celebration superficially, but it *is* a very foreign custom to me... Expecially the detail about the candy / baked goods; almost like a more serious but prettier version of Halloween...

Anyhow, thanks for the interesting detail, too.

- rthorvald