It is currently Thu, 23-11-17, 16:24 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shatters down?
PostPosted: Thu, 04-08-16, 7:08 GMT 
Site Admin

A fixed version of the CMOD tools will also be part of celestia.Sci, by the way...

PostPosted: Fri, 05-08-16, 11:35 GMT 

Indeed there should be a must-have utility you could doing: a program which shows the changes in real time of the Mie/Rayleigh parameters; both for 3D orbiting and surface views... ^^

PostPosted: Sat, 06-08-16, 16:47 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
Indeed there should be a must-have utility you could doing: a program which shows the changes in real time of the Mie/Rayleigh parameters; both for 3D orbiting and surface views... ^^

Well as a reminder, ChrisL wrote an interesting tool, called scattersim. It is a tool for experimenting with techniques for simulating atmospheric scattering. It uses a simple (and slow) ray tracer to render atmospheres using equations based on Nishita's. Atmospheres are simulated with three populations of particles: Rayleigh scattering, Mie scattering, and absorbing. The scale heights and scattering coefficients can be set separately for each set of particles in a cfg file.

The code will be part of celestia.Sci and can be built also for Windows like so

nmake /f scattersim.mak CFG=Release

And run it with

scattersim earth.cfg
There is also a MAC version.

In this long Mie thread of mine, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=116, I led a long dialogue with ChrisL about scattersim. If I find a little extra time or more people to help developping celestia.Sci, I am sure I could add more useful Mie features to scattersim. Currently the scattersim archive contains Mie parameter config files for Earth, Earth-thick, and two Titan configs. Moreover, 2 Makefiles vor Windows and Linux, respectively.

PostPosted: Sun, 07-08-16, 14:12 GMT 

Fridger, I thought you'd done a Pluto atmosphere as well? That would be nice to include also..

PostPosted: Sun, 07-08-16, 16:32 GMT 

Hi guys,

getting back to the topic of the Celestia forum.

Selden and I have a statement to make: We each have a backup copy of the old Celestia forum from shortly before it went to dev/null. It was a full backup copy of everything.

We also contacted Chris and he also agreed with giving this backup to Alexell.

So in short order we will be giving this gift of accumulated knowledge over to the new Celestia forum.

I felt that we should inform all of you to this, before the handover takes place. So if you think your old posts should not be revived, you could contact Alexell and discuss things with him.
The reason we make the handover is because the old forum contained a lot of useful stuff for beginners. (Well, yes also a lot of things not so useful and things better left in nirvana. But hey, that's life.)

All that said, I will probably not participate in the new Celestia forum, but stay here and wait for Celestia.Sci. And definitely I won't become a Moderator ever again, that is a lesson from the old forum :twisted:

Best regards,

Guckytos

PostPosted: Sun, 07-08-16, 17:21 GMT 
Site Admin

Guckytos wrote:
Selden and I have a statement to make: We each have a backup copy of the old Celestia forum from shortly before it went to dev/null. It was a full backup copy of everything.

Why not... ;-)

What about the old users, will they become automatically users of the backup?? :°

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 07-08-16, 17:24 GMT 
Site Admin

dirkpitt wrote:
Fridger, I thought you'd done a Pluto atmosphere as well? That would be nice to include also..

Certainly, and I happen to know how to do other Mie atmospheres that may be displayed / controlled via scattersim...As soon as we are running out of work :mrgreen: , we should stick our heads together and do a little improvement here.

PostPosted: Sun, 07-08-16, 18:22 GMT 
Site Admin

Guckytos wrote:
All that said, I will probably not participate in the new Celestia forum, but stay here and wait for Celestia.Sci. And definitely I won't become a Moderator ever again, that is a lesson from the old forum :twisted:

Thanks Christian for your patience. Yet I think you won't be disappointed in the end.

Regards,
Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 08-08-16, 18:58 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Guckytos wrote:

Why not... ;-)

What about the old users, will they become automatically users of the backup?? :°

Fridger

I don't know so much about phpBB. but the users should be in the backup and also the salted and hashed passwords (according to Selden who did a short check). So depending on how they will restore the database, you could be able to log into your old Celestia account. But that's a question to ask Alexell, once they have done it.

Regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 3:18 GMT 

do we really want the old posts ?
https://web.archive.org/web/20130625124 ... 21&t=16959

and

https://web.archive.org/web/20130625092 ... 30&t=16944

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 9:43 GMT 

1. Hello, Guckytos!
Selden sent me a copy of the forum database of 28.1.2014. However, this is not enough. Maybe someone of you still have a backup files of the old forum? I mean at least avatars and attachments. Without them, we will have a lot of posts with attachments, which will not be visible ((

Quote:
What about the old users, will they become automatically users of the backup?

Yes, they will already be users of the forum, as before. Accounts with passwords will be fully working.

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 10:19 GMT 
Site Admin

A large fraction of the current users of the new Celestia Forums are just commercial dealers/ spammers, as clearly visible from their attached WEB sites. Commercial advertizing was NOT allowed in the old shatters.net and is strictly forbidden in CelestialMatters for good reasons.

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 11:42 GMT 

Fridger, the first message of each new user is moderated by me, so there is no spam posts. Spam accounts because of it remain inactive. Once a month, I will delete inactive users from the database. This can be done more often. My technique was. Everything's under control,

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 16:44 GMT 

Alexell wrote:
1. Hello, Guckytos!
Selden sent me a copy of the forum database of 28.1.2014. However, this is not enough. Maybe someone of you still have a backup files of the old forum? I mean at least avatars and attachments. Without them, we will have a lot of posts with attachments, which will not be visible ((

Quote:
What about the old users, will they become automatically users of the backup?

Yes, they will already be users of the forum, as before. Accounts with passwords will be fully working.

I don't think I have more than Selden did provide you. The file that contains the database is not so big (<60MB gzipped). And i did make my backup around the same time frame.

Regards,

Guckytos

PostPosted: Tue, 09-08-16, 18:00 GMT 

Many (most? all?) of the attachments are available on the Internet Archive site. I think that prefixing their shatters urls with the appropriate Archive prefix would make them available.

For example,

http://web.archive.org/web/201307262247 ... 620412.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next