It is currently Tue, 30-05-17, 3:34 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Shatters down?
PostPosted: Sun, 02-12-07, 16:16 GMT 
Site Admin

I have been unable to access shatters since yesterday. Anyone else experience this?

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 02-12-07, 17:05 GMT 

A traceroute shows that shatters is not pingable, so it's not just the Web or Forum service. Someone with physical access to the system would be needed in order to determine the actual problem. My understanding is that Chris was planning to be home in a few days, so I haven't tried to contact him about it. I'm about 2200 miles from Seattle (3500 km) so there's not much I can do.

[edit]
It might be weather/power related. A winter storm system is starting to move in here, so that would have been about the right timing for it to have hit the Seattle area.
[/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 02-12-07, 18:15 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
A traceroute shows that shatters is not pingable, so it's not just the Web or Forum service. Someone with physical access to the system would be needed in order to determine the actual problem. My understanding is that Chris was planning to be home in a few days, so I haven't tried to contact him about it. I'm about 2200 miles from Seattle (3500 km) so there's not much I can do.

but he is back from Spain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 02-12-07, 20:11 GMT 

I haven't been able to login since last night...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 02-12-07, 22:24 GMT 
Site Admin

Well then, we´ll just have to wait...

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 1:19 GMT 

A winter storm knocked out power. I live in a neighborhood of Seattle that has a lot of trees, which is great aside from the fact that we seem to be particularly susceptible to power outages. I just got back from Spain a couple hours ago and rebooted the server, so things should be working fine now.

I want to move the shatters.net forums somewhere else. Having them on a server at home obviously isn't the best solution if we want to avoid downtime. Anyone know where they can be hosted that is:

- Ad-free
- Free or low cost (I'm willing to spend some of my own money for the hosting, but not more than about US$30/year)
- Will let me import the user database and ~95k posts from the existing forum?

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 3:59 GMT 
Site Admin

chris wrote:
- Ad-free
- Free or low cost (I'm willing to spend some of my own money for the hosting, but not more than about US$30/year)
- Will let me import the user database and ~95k posts from the existing forum?

Well, going rates for such hosting are between 4 to 6 US $ per month. Most will let you install and run the phpbb stuff yourself, and provides access to a database solution. So you can easily output your existing db from the current setup and import it there.

There are also a lot of "free" hosts, but those always comes with some limitations. The one we used at first (freeforums.org) was ad-free, but they do not give access to the filesystem, so if you want to do any customization - like importing the existing data - they will charge for it. It isn´t a bad deal, but you get frustratingly little control.

I would go with one of the larger, professional hosts, then you can do whatever you like. If 5$/month is at the upper limit, google adsense (for example) would probably cover the gap with the kind of traffic you have. It is ads, but very unobtrusive ones, and the general content is customizable.

The other option is to find a free professional host, like we have here at ibiblio, of course.

But can´t you install some tools to let you reboot your server from your laptop over the net instead? It is just as good... As power outages happens to big providers as well as your house...

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 19:06 GMT 

rthorvald wrote:
I would go with one of the larger, professional hosts, then you can do whatever you like. If 5$/month is at the upper limit, google adsense (for example) would probably cover the gap with the kind of traffic you have. It is ads, but very unobtrusive ones, and the general content is customizable.

- rthorvald

Please do not EVER impose Celestia with ANY advertisements... If it comes to that, I'LL pay for the host.
Just lemme know before you have to go to an advertising host, and I'll take care of it.

I MEAN this... Do NOT use an advertising site. I would willingly PAY for Celestia, so my offer is genuine.

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 19:17 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
rthorvald wrote:

- rthorvald

Please do not EVER impose Celestia with ANY advertisements... If it comes to that, I'LL pay for the host.
Just lemme know before you have to go to an advertising host, and I'll take care of it.

I MEAN this... Do NOT use an advertising site. I would willingly PAY for Celestia, so my offer is genuine.

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Hey Bob! That's noble from your part!
Anyway I'm sure that there must be some solution available...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 19:48 GMT 
Site Admin

Quote:

Indeed... I just pointed out the existing alternatives. As i see it, the best solution is to make it possible to reboot the server remotely. That fixes everything.

I don´t know what OS chris is running or what options are available, but this is trivial in OSX, so options must exist for other OSes too.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-12-07, 22:04 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:

I thought you guys knew me by now...

There ain't NOTHING noble about me. I simply sincerely love my Celestia program,
all my Celestia buddies, and the world in general when Shatters.Net is up and
running. When it ain't, I revert to the really grumpy old SOB you all know. <smirk>

At any rate, was an honest offer, and I meant it. Now that I'm dead and retired, this is
my sole pastime, so it would be like paying for hookers. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-12-07, 0:26 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
...Now that I'm dead and retired, this is
my sole pastime, so it would be like paying for hookers...

A great! So here we are, at least, you show your true face! I knew something bad was lying below the superficies... so, for you, we are a band of hookers... ah what a nice mentality!

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-12-07, 3:16 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
BobHegwood wrote:
...Now that I'm dead and retired, this is
my sole pastime, so it would be like paying for hookers...

A great! So here we are, at least, you show your true face! I knew something bad was lying below the superficies... so, for you, we are a band of hookers... ah what a nice mentality!

:mrgreen:

Now how am I supposed to respond to that? I already TOLD you that I wasn't noble.
Well, I suppose I could say something witty like " I get screwed here just as often," but
that would probably get Mona on my back (so to speak).

Just remember that I'm a grumpy old b*****d and leave it at that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 03-01-08, 10:11 GMT 
Site Admin

Down again?

Edit: Up again! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-01-08, 0:32 GMT 

I noticed that shatters has been down again since this afternoon. Is this the case?
cartrite :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next