It is currently Mon, 18-12-17, 20:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shatters down?
PostPosted: Sat, 30-07-16, 22:40 GMT 

Thanks for restarting the Celestia forums.
Do you mean to say that the database of the original forum is lost definitively?
That would really be a pity since quite a number of dedicated forum members must have spent hundreds of hours for writing interesting and helpful posts ...

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 6:33 GMT 

Yes. Chris Laurel said that the original forum database is lost :( I am very upset about it. But if I had not talked to Chris, the forum would no longer appear, and over time, the site would have disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 11:24 GMT 

archive.org has snapshots of shatters, but I can't tell if they're complete. Navigating through them is difficult.

See, for example, http://web.archive.org/web/201303071214 ... net/forum/

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 12:57 GMT 

Not sure what resurrecting the old Celestia forums achieves really, they've been gone for a long time and people seem to have migrated over here.

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 13:31 GMT 

There were many posts of addons and other information that might be useful to a novice. The people here tend not to be novices.

There also were discussions about topics that tend to be discouraged here, like how to debug addons illustrating fiction.

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 14:13 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
There were many posts of addons and other information that might be useful to a novice. The people here tend not to be novices.

There also were discussions about topics that tend to be discouraged here, like how to debug addons illustrating fiction.

Why don't you become the site admin again, if you consider these two aspects worth a new site? Anyway, I totally agree with Andrew.

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 31-07-16, 16:05 GMT 

Personally, I announce my departure from this forum, since it isn't dedicated to Celestia. I intend to "reinstall" myself to the good'old Celestia forum.

Everything will restart there, and after a while it will be like in the good'old days.

It is just a "Big Bounce" ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon, 01-08-16, 8:37 GMT 

Selden, It was from there I retrieved your message on the forum. There still is useful information, but I can not do everything alone. Someone has to help me.

Friends, why arrange the dispute? We clearly see that the number of registered users on this forum is small and no one from the old forum here are not passed. Selden rights in the official forum the other goals and objectives. They are more suitable for a beginner. He is also a major international destination of add-ons and other developments for Celestia, after CelestiaMotherlode. And you, Fridger, once told me not to publish my utility for Celestia on your forum and said that this forum is not intended for this purpose. You have answered why people need Celestia official forum.

PostPosted: Mon, 01-08-16, 12:10 GMT 
Site Admin

Let's see what happens when the first celestia.Sci beta version will be offered to the local community...This should be pretty soon after Andrew Tribick now has joined the celestia.Sci Dev team.

Fridger

PS: All features of Celestia SVN 1.7.x will be supported in celestia.Sci, notably in order not to create mismatches for add-ons.

PostPosted: Mon, 01-08-16, 12:11 GMT 

Who has the MAC version of the CMODutility? I could resume the old thread of Chris to post the Windows version, though.

P.S.
I'm not interested in the battle of the two but in the combination of the two; of course we have now Celestia while celestia.Sci still not, therefore I've appreciated the resuming of the old forum assessment and after this message I shall post there every thing concerning its subject.

PostPosted: Mon, 01-08-16, 13:05 GMT 
Site Admin

Alexell wrote:
And you, Fridger, once told me not to publish my utility for Celestia on your forum and said that this forum is not intended for this purpose. You have answered why people need Celestia official forum.

Of course, people with proven expertise have always been welcome to publish Celestia add-ons here at CM. I simply don't want "blind" publishing of "Celestia ware" in this forum. Alexell, you asked me via PM about publishing your Celestia Config Manager here at CM without first preparing a proper presentation to the users here. Most of them have long experience with Celestia. If I had seen some interesting spin-off also for celestia.Sci and | or your add-on had passed a number of tests, I would of course have encouraged you to go on with it here.

Fenerit, for example has been very industrious publishing his Ephemerides add-on here with regular updates since 2013. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=468
I was very happy about this, since such add-ons can be very useful BOTH for Celestia and celestia.Sci and I value fenerit as a careful and knowledgable person!

Or take John Van Vliet: He produces here plenty of amazing textures, 3D Blender models and Spice add-ons, all usable for BOTH Celestia and celestia.Sci.

We have another feature here that tends to enhance the CM environment a lot: If we see some interesting larger project or Astronomical discovery boiling up, a dedicated Workshop is created with the driving person acting as Moderator. This way, we got an on-going Spice Workshop and one about EXO planets. More will come soon. I am sure you know that with Celestia you are using Andrew Tribick's stars and Andrew is here! Most probably the new celestia.Sci stars (including GAIA) will also come from here ... ;-)
And his amazing catalogue work on EXO systems for celestia.Sci & Celestia will also come from here....

These were just a few excellent examples for why a replica of the old Celestia forum is NOT necessary.

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 01-08-16, 23:39 GMT 

Like I've said, it is not my intention to leave this forum. Imho, what can be accomplished as aim of the new Celestia forum is to restore the support of the Celestia features/issues that here seem missing from start, also for naive/noob questions. I agree with Selden, I think people here find the support for the software too much narrow with respect to the general questions; in short: a place for advanced users only, and this fact doesn't carry water to the mill. Of course CM is the main place for the forthcoming of celestia.Sci and everything about it will be dealt here.

PostPosted: Tue, 02-08-16, 7:59 GMT 

Let's not argue. This forum is really suitable for more experienced users. And this will be the official community forutsm Celestia .Sci

I am 12 years old love Celestia. With 16 years engaged in its development in Russia. I will not let this project die! Either we come together in the future, or just going to live on their own.

PostPosted: Tue, 02-08-16, 21:02 GMT 

Quote:
Who has the MAC version of the CMODutility? I could resume the old thread of Chris to post the Windows version, though.

no apple build
just my opensuse build of the utilitys in
celestia/src/tools/cmod/
the ones i use most
"cmodfix" bin to asccii and ascii to bin
"cmodview " great tool for minor edits on spacecraft and CRUSHING the size of a cmod by about a factor of 3 ( a UV trick)

PostPosted: Wed, 03-08-16, 22:11 GMT 

fenerit wrote:

This is off topic, but I have it at http://dwj.freeshell.org/celestia/
The gui is not really working anymore, but the cmodfix command inside the app bundle should still work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next