It is currently Thu, 18-10-18, 23:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun, 02-09-07, 23:56 GMT 

You might want to consider adding a Forum for discussing Forum problems.

A problem:

My copy of Firefox v2.0.0.6 refuses to admit that there might be a plugin which can play the embedded video that's in the Welcome and Outlook thread in the Cosmological Visualization Project Forum. It says that no compatible plugin is installed and that none is available on the net. I tried reinstalling Windows Media Player v11, but that made no difference.

Windows Internet Explorer v7 has no problems displaying the video, but I really prefer to use Firefox when possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 0:07 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
You might want to consider adding a Forum for discussing Forum problems.

Thanks for your input Selden!
I wonder if we should just make a sticky thread right here for this, to limit the number of forums for now.

Selden wrote:
My copy of Firefox v2.0.0.6 refuses to admit that there might be a plugin which can play the embedded video that's in the Welcome and Outlook thread in the Cosmological Visualization Project Forum. It says that no compatible plugin is installed and that none is available on the net.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same problem in Safari. The problem is the video codec. Fridger suggests one install the divx5 codec, but there seems to be some trouble with this in some configurations. Else, the free VLC player can play virtually anything, but i don´t think it has a browser plugin.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 0:10 GMT 
Site Admin

Runar, I had no pain after installing the right codec this morning (under Safari). I think Fridger should revert his notice to the old one (giving the links to the codec)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 0:13 GMT 
Site Admin

I got to go to bed now. But

a) I changed my notice, Chris
b) Yes I know the answer to Selden's question. => tomorrow.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 12:29 GMT 

Runar,

For Firefox, it seems to be a plugin issue (providing it with an appropriate embedded video player), which is not the same as a codec (which is used by the video player). Since IE7 has no problems displaying the video, I'm sure my system has the appropriate Divx codec.

I anxiously await Fridger's suggestion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 13:59 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
Runar,

For Firefox, it seems to be a plugin issue (providing it with an appropriate embedded video player), which is not the same as a codec (which is used by the video player). Since IE7 has no problems displaying the video, I'm sure my system has the appropriate Divx codec.

I anxiously await Fridger's suggestion :)

Selden,

I actually spend quite a bit of time with this problem until everything worked beautifully in all my different systems: on the one hand the video embedding is quite nice and the video itself VERY instructive/inspiring. On the other hand, the divx5 codecs are not yet implemented everywhere and in all OS's.

You are right that Mediaplayer 11 + its plugin do correctly display divx5 by default in IE7. However in the corresponding plugin configuration for Firefox 2.000x there seems to be a bug/problem concerning the recognition of dvix5 format with *.avi file ending:

Inspect the Mozilla plugin configuration file C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\pluginreg.dat with your editor and look for

Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library|$
0|...
1|...
8|...

As you will notice, there is NO entry for *.avi file endings.

Just do the following: increase the number of entries 9 -> 10 and add 1 extra line below, i.e.

Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library|$
0|...
1|...
8|...
9|video/x-msvideo|Media Files|avi,*|$

You need to take care that after saving, this is not overwritten by Firefox!! So keep your editor open and try several times. It makes sense to first close Firefox and THEN save the modified text. This worked for me.

Another perhaps even better alternative is to download the free pack from the DivX site that I quoted below the video, containing the Divx5 codecs, a DivXplayer with plugin, a WEB player and further stuff. The "stuff" you can deactivate in the install dialog. After installation you also find corresponding entries in the pluginreg.dat file rather towards the end.

These entries are all correct, but *.avi is missing!

So just replace scr -> avi,scr in

DivvX Player Netscape Plugin|$
0|application/divxplayer-plugin|npdivxplayerplugin|avi,scr|$

Anyway things now go VERY smoothly for me under Windows, nothing is seen from the player in the embedding window but an operation dialog pops up via the right mouse key klicked over the video window.

If this instruction works for you, Selden, we should perhaps moove it eventually to our Docs&Tutorial forum as a sticky post. Perhaps we can also add some more explicit instructions from our MAC users.

Since divx5 is the video format of the future, it may be well worth for people to update their installation.

Under Linux NOTHING needs to be done, since Mplayer works just perfectly.

I hope this helps...

Bye Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Mon, 03-09-07, 16:47 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 16:01 GMT 

Where is there a video, so I can test it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 16:43 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
Where is there a video, so I can test it ?

A most inspiring video flight through the Dark Matter filiaments of the Universe (from the Millenium Simulation) is embedded in my "Welcome & Outlook" announcement of the Cosmological Visualization Project Forum.

There is another MOST BEAUTIFUL fast 3d flight through that Universe thereafter (click!). However that streaming DiVx5 file is 60 MB long.

You may have noted some extra candy in the edit forms that might help to reduce the writing effort and mistakes notably for newcomers.

Suppose you want to display the url = http://www.shatters.net under the web page name "Celestia". Just click the green sphere icon (after the white square). A dialog pops up, where you can fill in www.shatters.net. After hitting return, a second dialog expects you to enter the web page name: "Celestia". After hitting return again you find the completed expression at the bottom of the form:
Celestia
Similarly, there are embedding dialogs for clicking for videos, HTML pages, emails, images, flash files... "You tube" movies etc.

Enjoy,
Bye Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Mon, 03-09-07, 17:00 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 16:56 GMT 

Fridger,

Unfortunately, your prescription doesn't work for me.
I can't find any combination of actions to prevent Firefox from overwriting the modified .dat file.

I also tried installing VLC with the "mozilla plugin" option selected, and that didn't work either.

Even though there now is an entry in Firefox's menu "Tools/Options/File Types Manage button/Download Actions" for vlc to play avi files, it still generates an error message at the top of the browser window complaining that there is no plugin to play the embedded video. Clicking on the "Download Actions/Change Action" button for its entry reveals that the VLC AVI "Plugin Action" is greyed out and can't be changed.

This is quite frustrating.

p.s. I agree that the movie is quite beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 17:16 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
Fridger,

Unfortunately, your prescription doesn't work for me.
I can't find any combination of actions to prevent Firefox from overwriting the modified .dat file.

I also tried installing VLC with the "mozilla plugin" option selected, and that didn't work either.

Even though there now is an entry in Firefox's menu "Tools/Options/File Types Manage button/Download Actions" for vlc to play avi files, it still generates an error message at the top of the browser window complaining that there is no plugin to play the embedded video. Clicking on the "Download Actions/Change Action" button for its entry reveals that the VLC AVI "Plugin Action" is greyed out and can't be changed.

This is quite frustrating.

p.s. I agree that the movie is quite beautiful.

Selden,

I am sorry to read this. Tonight, I'll try to find a more systematic procedure of editing that file.
In any case you have to hit "Save" several times! I suppose there is also an active cache, unfortunately ;-)

I did not encounter massive problems, though. In any case you may see in the net that there is this avi issue with Firefox 2.000x.

Here are some similar instructions to what I did:

http://forum.addonsmirror.net/index.php ... &pid=22328
http://community.vietfun.com/showthread.php?t=465697
(scroll to the user RanMa, also read his second post!!)

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 17:16 GMT 

ok, I saw both videos. That's old stuff. The links are working perfectly in Safari. The encoding (compression) is a bit crude for my taste, however. I already have the largest one on my HD since a long time (about one year ?) and the encoding is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 17:35 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
ok, I saw both videos. That's old stuff. The links are working perfectly in Safari. The encoding (compression) is a bit crude for my taste, however. I already have the largest one on my HD since a long time (about one year ?) and the encoding is better.

Good that it worked for you! I thought Runar wrote to me that the videos did NOT work in Safari?? Runar?

Your wrote that the videos are "old stuff"? Well that's science..., the simulation of such a large volume of the Universe and it's display clearly does not proceed at a time scale of weeks ;-) . The images/videos on the MPI-Garching site are some months older than 2 years. Not too bad, I think, for this kind of achievement.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 17:46 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
...Good that it worked for you! I thought Runar wrote to me that the videos did NOT work in Safari?? Runar?

?? Ages ago I've done the test under Safari after installing the codec, confirming in Lisa's closet all was ok... do I lost something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 17:47 GMT 

Fridger,

Never mind...

I found my problem: I had neglected to increase the entry for the number of WMP filetypes from 9 to 10.

It works fine now.

Of course, it is annoying that WMP doesn't add that entry itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 03-09-07, 18:28 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
Good that it worked for you! I thought Runar wrote to me that the videos did NOT work in Safari?? Runar?

If i remember correctly, Cham is running an older version of OSX than i (i use 10.4.10). Also, i use Safari 3 beta, while Safari 2 is the standard that comes wih the OS. I guess the "beta" designation means something here...

- Runar