It is currently Thu, 22-06-17, 22:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 05-11-07, 3:25 GMT 
Site Admin

Thank you!
Fixed.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 16:40 GMT 
Site Admin

[tex]-\frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi\alpha_s}}\frac{\rho^2}{\left(\rho^2+x^2\right)^2}
\left[ \frac{x^\mu x^{\sigma}}{x^2}-\frac{1}{4}\delta^{\mu\,\sigma}\right]\bar{\eta}_{a\nu\sigma}\frac{\lambda_a}{2}
-\left(\mu \leftrightarrow \nu\right)[/tex]

CM is clearly "behind", without Latex Parsing that is essential for scientific level discussions beyond BLA BLA ;-) . Shatters.net can do this one OK (phpbb 3)

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 16:56 GMT 
Site Admin

We will upgrade to phpBB3, too, when i get the time.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 18:00 GMT 

I believe that the latexrender package was originally written for phpBB2, so it's not essential to upgrade to phpBB3 in order to use it.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 19:28 GMT 

Also, and just FYI...

The Celestia Forum has been extremely slow since you added that capability...
Don't know if it is related or not, but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 20:01 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Also, and just FYI...

The Celestia Forum has been extremely slow since you added that capability...
Don't know if it is related or not, but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks, Bob

In fact, Bob, I also noticed that effect and asked myself the same question.
Quote:
slow since you added that capability...

Anyway, none of us here had anything to do with adding that feature to shatters.net ;-)

cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 07-05-08, 22:09 GMT 
Site Admin

chris wrote:
I believe that the latexrender package was originally written for phpBB2, so it's not essential to upgrade to phpBB3 in order to use it.

I will investigate. If it is a phpBB2 plug-in, it is much quicker to apply it to our current installation than to upgrade to v3, since that will bring with it re-writing of templates and everything...

Any info on what causes the slow-down on shatters would be nice, though.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 2:54 GMT 

t00fri wrote:

In fact, Bob, I also noticed that effect and asked myself the same question.
Quote:
slow since you added that capability...

Anyway, none of us here had anything to do with adding that feature to shatters.net ;-)

cheers,
Fridger

I'm well aware of that sir...
That comment was directed at Chris, and was for HIS benefit.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 16:13 GMT 

rthorvald wrote:
chris wrote:

I will investigate. If it is a phpBB2 plug-in, it is much quicker to apply it to our current installation than to upgrade to v3, since that will bring with it re-writing of templates and everything...

Any info on what causes the slow-down on shatters would be nice, though.

- rthorvald

The slowdown has nothing to do with latexrender. There has simply been a large amount of traffic at shatters.net lately.

Latexrender only uses CPU time when a user submits a new post containing a LaTeX expression. TeX is called to create a dvi file, which is then converted to PostScript, and finally to a GIF. This GIF file is cached and reused every time the post is viewed.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 17:42 GMT 

chris wrote:
The slowdown has nothing to do with latexrender. There has simply been a large amount of traffic at shatters.net lately.

Latexrender only uses CPU time when a user submits a new post containing a LaTeX expression. TeX is called to create a dvi file, which is then converted to PostScript, and finally to a GIF. This GIF file is cached and reused every time the post is viewed.

--Chris

That may well be sir, but when I was trying to view pages, there were only 8 people on line. Just FYI...
Perhaps it's at my end, but I'm using the fastest cable line you can get here in the USA.
Again, was just FYI...

Thanks, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 17:55 GMT 
Site Admin

Chris' arguments about the said independence of the Latex feature and the slowness of the forum matched my own reasoning. It sounds very plausible that there is only Latex load if anybody submits respective Latex code. On the other hand, the turnaround for the final Latex result to appear on screen is about what my local Latex compiler takes for a whole 40 page paper of mine ;-)

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 18:23 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
Chris' arguments about the said independence of the Latex feature and the slowness of the forum matched my own reasoning. It sounds very plausible that there is only Latex load if anybody submits respective Latex code. On the other hand, the turnaround for the final Latex result to appear on screen is about what my local Latex compiler takes for a whole 40 page paper of mine ;-)

... So, in your opinion, is it worth it for us? Or do people that need it already have it and can quicker post their own gif since we have built-in image posting...?

It seems we would have to install ImageMagick, a package called tetex, and some mods to the phpBB code.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 18:53 GMT 
Site Admin

Runar,

Latex is the only practical way of discussing some mathematical issues in our forum or in shatters. I think this is badly needed, if we want to ever get more specific than these familiar 3 line bla bla texts about things. Suppose I want to discuss about frame transformations with Chris L. or other people. How do I display a transformation matrix in the present forum??? How do I write down external=cross products of vectors or scalar products of vectors that form the basis for frame invariants??

Yes, I could produce and upload a GIF for every little formula that I write down. Maple even does this for me. But come on. This is archaic ;-) . I have better things to do. I guess most people who received some kind of training about natural science "speak" Latex fluently. At least our students all do so from early on. And Andrew, for example does, too, as it seems ;-)

F,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 19:13 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
chris wrote:

--Chris

That may well be sir, but when I was trying to view pages, there were only 8 people on line. Just FYI...
Perhaps it's at my end, but I'm using the fastest cable line you can get here in the USA.
Again, was just FYI...

Thanks, Bob

The problem is on my end, not yours. And it's not the forum traffic that's a problem: there have been a bunch of connections to download the 1.5.1 win32 package and prereleases. This activity is not indicated in the list of forum users. I'm concerned that someone posted a Celestia release announcement and linked to shatters.net instead of SourceForge. I'll need to check the web server's referrer logs to see if this is indeed what happened.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 08-05-08, 19:24 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
Latex is the only practical way of discussing some mathematical issues in our forum or in shatters. I think this is badly needed [ ... ] Yes, I could produce and upload a GIF for every little formula that I write down. Maple even does this for me. But come on. This is archaic ;-) . I have better things to do. I guess most people who received some kind of training about natural science "speak" Latex fluently.

Well, then. i will look into it. Some quick googling shows various people have made solutions for this, i´ll do some research and find the simplest way to get it on board.

- rthorvald

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next