It is currently Mon, 17-12-18, 9:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-01-11, 9:09 GMT 

12tonelizzie wrote:
Okay, some progress! I downloaded an EarthNight add-on. I put BOTH EarthNight.ctx AND an EarthNight folder containing levels 0 to 4 into CelestiaResources\textures\hires, ignoring the extras folder which I previously put inside CelestiaResources. This finally gives me nightside lights which I can turn on and off with ctrl-L! I assume that these are the new ones I've downloaded -- no idea how to activate the default ones that came with the program.

Ignoring how the Celesti'a menu interface is set on a MAC, you can try to switch amongst medium and high resolution textures through the menu.

12tonelizzie wrote:
However, still no shadow on Saturn's rings. Is there a download add-on that will add this shadow? My guess is not, i.e. that the shadow is calculated by the program.

No clues here, sorry.

12tonelizzie wrote:
Now I've tried downloading some add-on nebulae, but these just turn up as big 2D rectangular photos, hovering in space, which I can fly around. Does that sound right? Are there any nebula add-ons which are 3D objects fully integrated into the Celestia universe?

Yes, there are two way to put nebulae within the Celestia's framework: 2D and 3D. Several 3D model of nebulae are availables on MotherLode; they would have a little description like "3D CMOD object" where you downloading from.

12tonelizzie wrote:
And what is a bump map? Is it possible to fly low over planets' surfaces?

Bumpmap and normalmap are displacements maps (textures, too) which allows the graphic engine to process elevation data in order to render the virtual depth of rought surfaces (in short, to make mountains, craters, etc look "elevated and/or deeper". Celestia's engine always process bumpmap as normalmap, so this latters are preferables because the lighten of the graphic card's task (and more). Bumpmaps are just residuals of the past.
Finally, yes; you can flyby object. To place yourself on the surface beneath you view, press ctrl+g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-01-11, 10:49 GMT 
Site Admin

12tonelizzie wrote:
Okay, some progress!
By the way, there is now a specular reflection in the dayside ocean which I could have sworn wasn't there before.

Excellent...looks encouraging. ;-)

Quote:
And what is a bump map? Is it possible to fly low over planets' surfaces?

Fenerit answered to this already . Notably, he emphasized that Celestia wants normalmaps rather than bumpmaps. Since I wrote a number of popular multi-platform tools (C++) for making huge highest-quality normalmaps directly from scientific data, you might have a look at my respective tutorial.

http://www.celestialmatters.org/?q=node/10

The first part contains an intuitive introduction to the functionality of normalmaps (note that unlike stated in my tutorial from 2007, the later versions of my nmtools directly produce normalmaps in lossless PNG format or fast, hardware-supported, DXT5nm normalmap format that Celestia supports.)

My normalmap tools are command-line tools (for reasons of speed), and the package contains ready-to-use binaries also for all MACs (ppc and universal).

The result then typically looks like so when you fly over the surface at low altitude:

Earth:

http://www.celestialmatters.org/?q=node/77

or here for Mars around sunset (Click on image for big size):

Normalmaps provide a dynamical shading of the basic surface map, depending on the position of the light source (e.g. Sun). This is in contrast to static shading that uses a fixed direction of the light source. Normalmaps color-encode the directions of the normal vector to a given surface at each point of the (x,y) map. That normal vector determines the amount of illumination at a surface point (x,y) together with the vector pointing to the light source.

The CelestialMatters forum has a special subforum devoted to my texture tools, where you may find also many advanced discussions, examples and download links (including the links for the scientific input data).

http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewforum.php?f=6

Here is a recent thread where I show the rendering effect of the first topographic data for the icy Saturn moon Iapetus. These pioneering new data are by planetary scientist Dr. Paul Schenk . He's actually a recent CelestialMatters member as well. The used normalmap was also generated with my nmtools:

http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=391

Here is a typical view (by all means click on image for bigger view ;-) ) :

You may download the respective normalmap from that thread. Note also the ring shadows on Saturn. From this video that I made, you get a good idea about the impressive overall results (75MB):

http://www.celestialmatters.org/users/t ... tus_nm.avi

The hires video format can be played with the multi-platform player VLC, for example (available for MACs as well).

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-01-11, 16:19 GMT 

To be honest I've been very disappointed with the performance of Celestia on my mac... I know it's a low end machine but it still cost, and I stupidly thought I was going to get a general improvement on top of my old win xp box.

I will stick with mac however, hopefully this year I'll be able to afford a bigger and better one.

It has rather ruined my enjoyment of Celestia... hrmmph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 04-01-11, 23:21 GMT 

As MAC's detractors are use to says, the MAC's cost is due just to the plastics: MAC do use perspex which is a good plastics, indeed. Nothing else. :wink:

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sun, 09-01-11, 2:03 GMT 

hi 12tonelizzie
a bit late but ...

unfortunately for Mac users i do not have one.I packaged my maps in a way as to let windows users with no computer skills install them easily

i figure that Linux users already know how to do things and i also make that assumption for OSX users , sorry.

NOW as to some of the older sci-fi add ons
the older ones do not all conform to the capitalization requirements that *nix based systems use

MOST 90% of then the 3ds models call a image that IS ALL CAP LETTERS "IMAGE.JPG " some call "IMAGE.jpg or "image.JPG"
and the real name is NOT capitalized the same way

-- it can be a bit confusing so...---
i call it "Russian roulette" with file names

so that would explain some of the scifi add ons not working well
ALL of the new ones are checked for this so it is being fixed

Quote:
I can't get earth nightlights or JohnVV's MoonNormal textures to show up

so the normal map is working but not the earth night ?

for the moon normalmap
t00fri 's map is "scientificly " accurate for the current data( and stripped )
MY map is "cleaned up" de-stripped
we disagree on this ,so use whatever one YOU like

from the posting of the hardware specs it looks like you have TWO "cards" one is a mobil built in chip and the second is a full 3d card

IF your system is defaulting to using ONLY that laptop built in chip and NOT the full card then it will be VERY limited
things like a BIG night lights map might NOT work
with other maps

DOSE the celestia default " earthnight.jpg" show up WITHOUT mine installed ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 10-01-11, 19:52 GMT 

Note also that the "Basic" render path can NOT show night lights.