It is currently Tue, 19-06-18, 8:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: QT5
PostPosted: Mon, 01-12-14, 8:11 GMT 
Site Admin

Quote:
One needs to copy and paste the examples folder into the data folder. Then rename it to addons.

I don't think this was the official procedure, but it obviously works, since the data/ dir and all its subdirs are found by the program.

Fridger

PostPosted: Sat, 06-12-14, 0:49 GMT 

Qt5 is still changing opengl. :wall: I tried this new Qt5.4-RC but it just gave me more questions. Some links to some docs.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/New-Features-in-Qt-5.4

http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/11/2 ... in-qt-5-4/

have fun figuring this crap out. ;)

I equate this experience I had these past few weeks with trying to write your name on a moving freight train while standing still. x/

cartrite

PostPosted: Sat, 06-12-14, 9:48 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I equate this experience I had these past few weeks with trying to write your name on a moving freight train while standing still. x/

cartrite

Steve,

one reason I have warned to use Qt5.x at the present state of development. I have coded large amounts of GUI features with Qt4.8x for celestia.Sci and NEVER encountered any severe problematics! Moreover, it always makes a big difference if you have designed and coded the GUI task yourself, or merely try to patch existing code .

Furthermore, it appears quite obvious to me that the last (public) SVN releases of Cosmographia were not thoroughly tested, at least not for OS differing from ChrisL's standard development hardware (MACs).
One reason for a lack of testing and the end of Cosmographia development could have been the new founding of the Fifth Star Labs software company (http://fifthstarlabs.com/) together with Nick Risinger.

Fridger

PostPosted: Sat, 06-12-14, 13:53 GMT 

As an example to the moving train, the code I used last week that didn't really work anyway. QGLFormat format = QGLFormat::defaultFormat(); QGLWidget* glWidget = new QGLWidget(format);. QGLFormat is depreciated. There is a warning to never use this again with new code. QGLWidget is now QOpenGLWidget and doesn't work the same way. They keep changing the rules.

One thing I did find out was that it is not that big of a deal anymore to use the opengl desktop version of QT. I used the dynamic version of qt5.4 and for Cosmographia at least, it builds fine except for some minor changes. You just need to have the gl libs installed and add them to the LIBS env var. I think the linker still tries to resolve the symbols but doesn't actually hard code these symbols until run time. At least that is what I think they said. :?

For Cosmographia, I think it's problem is that it mixes two versions of GL. The Glew version that the vesta engine uses and quick1 which is depreciated in QT5. QT5 has quick2 now and it works differently. Hence the changing rules again. For a novice, like myself, this is just too much too fast.

I guess QT6 will fix all of this. ;)

cartrite

PostPosted: Tue, 09-12-14, 23:03 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
One reason for a lack of testing and the end of Cosmographia development could have been the new founding of the Fifth Star Labs software company (http://fifthstarlabs.com/) together with Nick Risinger.

Fridger

That is possible. I've been doing some more experiments today. Und.
I think it will take a major overhaul to correct this. Cosmographia uses quick1 to create all those lovely interfaces on the side of the window. That is probably destroying any GL context used downstream. Qt5 uses quick2 now. Although the names sound similar they are not. Quick2 does not work the same. It looks as if this project can not be ported to QT5. That is unless a lot of the code is abandoned and new code is used in it's place. Not public yet? ;)
cartrite