It is currently Wed, 08-04-20, 21:27 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 30-05-13, 16:51 GMT 

I was a lifelong Windows user, and then the small development company a friend of mine started and partnered with me (afterwards) on decided to get iMacs.

They are beautiful computers and they run nicely, BUT, just like Windows computers, they have their share of issues and bugs. OS X is a great system, but there are indeed flaws.

- I don't get any sort of analogue to the 'blue screen of death', but to be fair, I have never gotten one with a Win7 computer either.
- In OS X, you CANNOT manipulate files in a Save or Open dialogue. I can't tell you how often this has driven me nuts.
- Apple is a very closed ecosystem, and they are extraordinarily controlling. This scares me on many levels.
- No viruses, but what has been pointed out for years still holds true: it's simply a matter of OS X not being targeted by virus writers. You can't build a massive botnet if you target iMacs. Apple devices will see devastating viruses in the future.
- We also must consider that Apple built their latest and greatest by looking at the established status quo and seeing what worked, what didn't, and what the stagnant industry was NOT supplying to consumers who wanted new and wonderful things - of course, with MS's latest offering, Win8, I don't know if they will ever figure out what consumers want. If you have even a mild interest in home entertainment, MS's latest fiasco with the Xbox One is worth following. They have an extraordinarily loyal fanbase where the Xbox 360 is concerned, and I think they may have managed to alienate most of it in the course of a few days. No one likes being used as an advertising guinea pig, and that's what that stupid company seems to want to do.

But sticking more to the topic, I must say, my iMac, with 12 gigs of memory, runs Celestia PERFECTLY. Like I said, they are beautiful machines, and they run beautiful programs... well... beautifully.

Post subject: Re: A Windows Story
PostPosted: Mon, 10-06-13, 21:39 GMT 

Attachment:
sus.jpg
sus.jpg [ 74.36 KiB | Viewed 3843 times ]

64bit switch from Xp without win Vista,7/8/...n ballbreakers.

PostPosted: Mon, 10-06-13, 21:46 GMT 
Site Admin

But your 64bit switch is only seeming, since Celestia is still compiled here in 32bit, right?
Both Mac OS X and Linux meanwhile compile (celestia.Sci) in true 64 bit mode without problems.

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-06-13, 22:05 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
But your 64bit switch is only seeming, since Celestia is still compiled here in 32bit, right?
Both Mac OS X and Linux meanwhile compile (celestia.Sci) in true 64 bit mode without problems.

Fridger

Yes for 1.6.1. I was referring to the OS; my re-promise was that after Xp I should installed Linux. I'm waiting for .Sci...

PostPosted: Tue, 11-06-13, 8:20 GMT 
Site Admin

There is no basic reason that would forbit building 64bit Celestia and celestia.Sci versions. The most tedious part amounts to compiling the various service libs in 64bit mode. For the still quite unstable Qt 5.0.x version, there are now prefabricated binary 64bit versions, including a 64bit Windows one. However the latter is based on the VS 2012 compiler. Hence compatibility with VS 2010 Express remains to be seen (see also cartrite's investigations). Compiling spice in 64bit mode is no problem. For now we have no extra time to fiddle with incompatibilities of Qt 5.0.x. For celestia.Sci, we are thus working with the stable Qt 4.8.4 and VS 2010 Express for Windows.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 11-06-13, 20:43 GMT 

Celestia SVN and SPICE ( i am using the testing version of the next release of spice ) have no problems being built on OpenSUSE 12.2 64 bit using gcc 4.7
I only install the 32 bit compt. libs as a last resort for a few odd ball programs that really dislike 64 bit

PostPosted: Tue, 11-06-13, 21:26 GMT 
Site Admin

John Van Vliet wrote:
Celestia SVN and SPICE ( i am using the testing version of the next release of spice ) have no problems being built on OpenSUSE 12.2 64 bit using gcc 4.7

That's what I stated already 2 mails up. On the Linux front I also use openSuSE 12.2/64 bit.
Since there is also a 64bit binary version of Qt 4.8.4 and of all service libs there is no problem in Linux neither with Celestia-Qt nor with celestia.Sci. Same with Mac OS X.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 11-06-13, 23:38 GMT 

That Celestia come from a rpm package for openSUSE 12.3 found on pkgs.org. For now it works fine with xv card drivers. About 79 packages for audio/video codecs installed from local hard disk works fine too. This is my first return to Linux after SUSE 7.2 and until now I'm satisfied. Of course the celestia.pro of the Celestia trunk put into qtcreator 4 + required libs and compiled neither start; but this is another story. Still I must install the NVDIA drivers and because all work fine as it is. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed, 12-06-13, 0:15 GMT 

as far as i know the openbuild service rpm and the base repo rpm do not have spice built in
and the last time i looked at it it was using gnome gtk gui

PostPosted: Wed, 12-06-13, 14:26 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
That Celestia come from a rpm package for openSUSE 12.3 found on pkgs.org. For now it works fine with xv card drivers. About 79 packages for audio/video codecs installed from local hard disk works fine too. This is my first return to Linux after SUSE 7.2 and until now I'm satisfied. Of course the celestia.pro of the Celestia trunk put into qtcreator 4 + required libs and compiled neither start; but this is another story. Still I must install the NVDIA drivers and because all work fine as it is. :wink:

In general it is advisable to download the network install CD image file of version 12.3 from OpenSuSE

http://software.opensuse.org/123/en

and burn it on a CD which is all quite fast compared to the full distro download.

The current cspice version for 64bit compilation you find here:

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/toolkit.html

Just click on the C Toolkit link and select what you want. After downloading, it compiles without problems with your resident gcc compiler in OpenSuSE. Don't forget to install the Developmment package in OpenSuSE.

Fridger

PostPosted: Wed, 19-06-13, 11:31 GMT 

Hi All,
Wonder if anyone ever came across this kind of thing. The short story is I'm getting some strange output from a program I wrote. It reads 3 grayscale images and tries to write a rgb file. Simple gray images seem to work fine. But as soon as they get complex, I get strange results. These images will illustrate. I'm only showing the red channel to keep inside the upload limit.

Attachment:
red1.jpg
red1.jpg [ 4.26 KiB | Viewed 3773 times ]

With this image I get this output.

Attachment:
test1.jpg
test1.jpg [ 29.11 KiB | Viewed 3773 times ]

I change the red channel to this.

Attachment:
red.jpg
red.jpg [ 13.97 KiB | Viewed 3773 times ]

This is the output.

Attachment:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 104.05 KiB | Viewed 3773 times ]

What happens is the file gets larger for some reason. I can't figure why?

All original images are 2048x2048. The correct output file should be 2048x2048x3 = 12,582,912 bytes. The strange output file is 12,598,387 bytes.
Here is part of the code producing this.
Code:
    int width   = 0;
    int height  = 0;
    string filename1;
    string filename2;
    string filename3;

if (SSCANF(argv[1], " %d", &width) != 1)
    {
        cerr << "Bad image dimensions.\n";
        return 1;
    }

if (SSCANF(argv[2], " %d", &height) != 1)
    {
        cerr << "Bad image dimensions.\n";
        return 1;
    }

if( filename1.empty())
        filename1.assign(argv[3]);

if( filename2.empty())
        filename2.assign(argv[4]);

if( filename3.empty())
        filename3.assign(argv[5]);

ifstream file_A (filename1.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);
    ifstream file_B (filename2.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);
    ifstream file_C (filename3.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);

char * a   = new char [width];
    char * b   = new char [width];
    char * c   = new char [width];
    unsigned char* rgb = new unsigned char [width * 3];

for (int j = 0; j < height; j++)
       {
            {
                file_A.read(a, width);
                file_B.read(b, width);
                file_C.read(c, width);
            }
             for (int i = 0; i < width; i++)
            {
                rgb[i * 3 + 0] = ( unsigned char ) a[i];
                rgb[i * 3 + 1] = ( unsigned char ) b[i];
                rgb[i * 3 + 2] = ( unsigned char ) c[i];
            }
            fwrite(rgb, 3, width, stdout);

Any ideas?

cartrite

PostPosted: Wed, 19-06-13, 12:02 GMT 

To add some more details on my attempts to figure this out, I've used 4 different compilers. VC9, VC10, and VC11 at 32bit and VC11 at 64 bit. All give the same results. I first seen this when I tried to combine a partial map produced from the Terra satellite Modis data. The output rgb file was quite larger than it should have been. The mosaic is 33600x14400 and that produced a file about 12 million bytes too large.

The blue and green gray images that go with the above post are these.

Attachment:
green.jpg
green.jpg [ 9.05 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]

Attachment:
blue.jpg
blue.jpg [ 9.09 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]

EDIT The process to do the example was the following:
1. Created 3 gray images with the Gimp.
2. Ran png2bin to get binary files.
3. Ran the above code to create a rgb image.
4. Ran bin2png.

The Modis data goes through a much more complex set of steps to get the gray maps but the end result is still the same.

I was however able to get rgb files with Image Majik. But that program still has problems with big files. So................

cartrite

PostPosted: Wed, 19-06-13, 18:20 GMT 

c should be reading the "width" ? maybe
but you might want to define it

the output ( from the code) dose look like it should be "unsigned char"

can you post a zip file of the three input and the output image

I see width defined , but not height
for (int j = 0; j < height; j++)

PostPosted: Wed, 19-06-13, 20:36 GMT 

Hey John,
I didn't post all the code but width is defined and is also argv[1]. Height is also defined and is argv[2]. So they are being used. What seems to happen is some values are being converted to 16 bit. It has something to do with stdout. But I wrote to a file with this code and everything seems to be working now.
Quote:
ifstream file_A (filename1.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);
ifstream file_B (filename2.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);
ifstream file_C (filename3.c_str(), ios::in | ios::binary);
FILE * file_D;

unsigned char* rgb = new unsigned char [width * 3];
file_D = fopen ( "out.bin", "wb");

fwrite(rgb, 3, width, file_D);

This is a screenshot of what I was actually trying to accomplish. This is a screenshot of the file I am working on. The gimp can't even open it. It's a Sinusoidal projection of the USA on the week of July 4, 2012. This is the Modis standard projection. I still need to project it to wgs84. That creates a lot of black space fill and the file sizes get astronomical though. So I'm waiting till I get close to a finished map. I'm creating maps for the months of June, July, and August. I'm thinking of averaging them into a single map. Any one 8 day composite has a lot of missing data due to clouds or other factors. I'm hoping with a composite covering the entire summer may reduce the missing areas to a minimum.
This is in 250 meter resolution.

Attachment:
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg [ 101.16 KiB | Viewed 3758 times ]

This is the first time I had trouble using stdout. I'm still not sure what could be wrong with that. :?:

cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 20-06-13, 14:54 GMT 

Cartrite,

You may be able to simplify your workflow with a language I discovered a couple of weeks ago: http://processing.org/reference/
It's a java based language with a focus on image processing. It has it's own quirks I guess, but I think it would probably facilitate what you seem to be trying to do with ease, and IMO would probably enable you to exclude the use of GIMP and/or IM completely from your workflow.

I have been using it to generate Saturn Ring profiles (RGBA) from a combination of data and imagery. ( http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17315&p=133615&sid=132fdaa440ce4f2d885121637b70c671#p133615 )
For example, I can generate the following 20 profiles (each 6600x50 pixels) in less than 2 secs with a single click:
Attachment:
VIMS-with gapfix.jpg
VIMS-with gapfix.jpg [ 223.48 KiB | Viewed 3740 times ]

CC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next