It is currently Sat, 15-12-18, 0:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Windows Story
PostPosted: Sun, 28-12-14, 21:27 GMT 

Linux to the rescue. I thought my laptop died. I bought an external drive and installed openSuse 12.3 on it. As soon as suse started, it was able to see the broken drive and copy a lot of the files on it. Who knows, someday I may be able to restore it. So windows is gone for now, Finally using linux.
cartrite

PostPosted: Mon, 29-12-14, 0:56 GMT 

now for the bad news
12.3 hits it's END of LIFE in 7 days

so in a week there will never be any more support for 12.3

R.I.P. 12.3

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

PostPosted: Mon, 29-12-14, 13:51 GMT 

That figures. But I'm downloading 13.2 as I write this. I had a hell of a time with 12.3 so far anyhow. I had to install it on an external drive running on a different machine so when I tried to run it on the laptop, the network packages were not installed or configured. No internet. Anyhow, I'm gonna install this 13.2 image on a usb stick so I can upgrade the laptop directly. The dvd burner stopped working in the laptop some time ago. Hopefully that will work easier.

PostPosted: Mon, 29-12-14, 14:19 GMT 
Site Admin

A little while ago, I put openSuSE 13.1 on all my machines. An important aspect was that this version has been selected to enjoy Evergreen support, i.e. the life cycle is 3 YEARS (instead of only 18 months)!

@Steve: Welcome back in the Linux community!

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 29-12-14, 17:54 GMT 

you really can not "upgrade" major versions

13.1 to 13.2 is a minor version change

but 12.3 to 13.2
is one major with a minor tossed in

you will really have to install 13.2 after reformatting the drive in the laptop to ext4 or blank and use the installers partition editor to format it to a LVM
or a full drive encryption

just remember
SUSE is a rpm Operating system
BUT they DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY than RedHat and Fedora

PostPosted: Tue, 30-12-14, 22:05 GMT 

Well, installing 13.2 went smoothly. Using the upgrade option I mentioned in a former post was not possible as John mentioned, but I was able to install 13.2 on the 12.3 partion and all the other partions were perserved perfectly. Now I have to find out what I've been missing all these years. ;) My old drives that I've been accessing have a lot of files I used with ISIS 3.x and I'm looking forward to using ISIS3 again. Of course I'm gonna I'm gonna get the latest ISIS3 version now. :D
cartrite

PostPosted: Tue, 30-12-14, 22:36 GMT 

as to isis3
DO NOT use the suse11 sp3 package
that is for the older "SUSE Enterprise Linux 11 service pack3 "
you have to pay $399 per YEAR for the license -- it is not free

believe it or not but the RHEL 6.6 version works just fine
there are no qt issues
i just recently rearranged things
isis is split up on two different drives
the spice data is on a 3 Tb usb3 drive
and isis3 tools are with ASP and the other NGT tools on a shared drive forScientific linux 6 and opensuse

just configure the "startisis3.sh" script for the set up

the usgs astrogeolagy isis site is DOWN
here is a copy of the rsync i use
--- isis3 program --- the RHEL6 runs on opensuse 64 bit
DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THE " ." at the end
Code:

rsync -azv --delete --partial --progress isisdist.astrogeology.usgs.gov::x86-64_linux_RHEL6/isis . 

( there is a " . " at the end in the above )

/* --- the required data ---*/

rsync -azv --delete --partial --progress isisdist.astrogeology.usgs.gov::isis3data/data/base data/ 

PostPosted: Tue, 30-12-14, 22:49 GMT 

So the simile I posted was a bit premature????????
Anyhow, I've been thru too much these last couple of days so I'm gonna wait till 2015. Computer broke down, truck broke down, wife ran off with the dog, etc. Not long to wait though. I need to do some reading to find out what's really going on. Thanks, John.
PS. I'm not sure what was going on with 12.3 because I actually installed it on a computer that I never used it on. In other words I installed it on a PC and ran it for the first time on the laptop. I had a lot of problems but the goal was to get the laptop working and it did it.

So far, what I'm seeing with 13.2 is a different experience. I haven't had a problem yet. The IT connection was almost perfection. And everything else seems to be working fine.

I haven't looked at ISIS3 yet but I'll have to do some research as you suggested. Thanks John.
cartrite

PostPosted: Wed, 31-12-14, 0:06 GMT 

I was able to build ISIS3 with a former version of Suse. I think 10.2. Years ago now. But I think I still have that build along with all the notes and changes I had to make in the archives. So................ Maybe. Just Maybe. I may be able to have the patience to build it on 13.2. Lot of QT issues from what I remember. But I'll probably just :wall:
I don't know how many computers I've been thru in the last 10 years but I still have the hard drives and some are still readable. Time will tell. Wiedersehen
cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 01-01-15, 19:15 GMT 

NeoGeographyToolkit
has a autotools set of scripts
https://github.com/NeoGeographyToolkit/AutotoolsForISIS

but the prebuilt for RHEL6.6 run just fine on OpenSUSE

so well i do not have to boot into SL6.6

PostPosted: Sat, 03-01-15, 23:28 GMT 

In the last couple of weeks I managed to bring a dead laptop back to life, copy a lot of the files on it, resurrect a pc that I haven't used in years, turned my laptop into a router so the pc could get updated online, and I finally got it working. When I was able to ping google.com with the pc using a ip address but not with the name, I was stumped for a while. I used Wicked (new to suse 13.2 , replaced the other way) to configure the router and the card on the pc too. I finally fixed the problem when I turned Wicked off on the pc and configured the card to work with the network manager to work automatically. It probably would work with Wicked too but I had a static IP and that somehow conflicted with the DNS server. So almost back in the game. My memory is starting to come back. ;) I thought I'd write this in case I forget what I did. This might help me to remember. With that said, I searched the Inet for some way of finding the actual gateway address I was hooked up too. I am on a private wifi network so the gateway I was seeing was a private address. 192.168.x.x. That would not work in the router configuration. I asked the owner of the place I stay, the owners ISP and they both refused to give me the address. So I was in limbo there for a while till I remembered traceroute. I finally used traceroute to google.com and it showed me the real gateway address. Anyhow, it's been one of those weeks too. Glad it's almost over. Also glad the days are starting to get longer again. :DD Winter just started and I'm already sick of it. All for memory’s sake. I'm getting Brain dead. ;)
cartrite

PostPosted: Sun, 04-01-15, 5:20 GMT 

if you type into the google search bar
" my ip "
it returns it as the top search result

Quote:
I finally used traceroute to google.com

that and ping to google are some of the most common

also are setting DNS to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

PostPosted: Tue, 06-01-15, 14:05 GMT 

Well, My original drive in the laptop had become so corrupted that even linux couldn't see it anymore. I thought the drive was completely dead but decided to try one last thing. Install 13.2 on it. It has been running perfectly for last couple of days. So it wasn't a hardware issue. The ntfs file system was destroyed somehow. I managed to copy most of the important files that were on it before it became unreadable. So at least I don't have to get another hard drive or computer. Windows is officially dead. Long live Suse Linux. Running linux from the usb3 drive was a bit slow as compared with running on the hard drive. But now I have a recovery means in case something goes wrong again.

On another note, I haven't built the linux version of Celestia for years.I noticed that at the bottom of the celestia.pro file there is about 10 or so lines referring to the desktop. This code would stop the build immediately. No rule to build the desktop. I had to comment out all those lines. Then it built. I'm not sure how to fix that or what those lines were actually trying to accomplish. Is Celestia actually supposed to get installed?

Cosmographia was still in my memory and I was able to build that without issue. Except that I had to apply the patch when building with qt5. I haven't tried Celestia with qt5. I remember there were some changes needed. Another day?

As for ISIS3, the site has been down for maintenance since I was interested in downloading it. Figures. Later.

cartrite

PostPosted: Tue, 06-01-15, 21:32 GMT 

the rsync commands i posted above DO work

it is just the isis.asrtogeolagy.usgs.gov redirect server that is down

this is the SECOND time it has been down for an extended period of time ( 1 month+ in the last 5 months )
last time it was down for about 2 months up for about 2 then down so far for OVER a month

i DO think it has something to do with the software name

I for one REFUSE to have the software use a different name

as to building
you can use the qt creator .pro
but
autotools dose the job nicely

Code:
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/celestia/code/ celestia-code

then
copy the source folder to a new location for a WORKING folder
--- my build lines so....
and make sure that /usr/bin/qmake-qt5 is a linked to /usr/bin/qmake
( the qt4 and qt5 mixing issues , some code calls "qmake" no matter if it is 4 or 5 that is needed )
Code:
cd /To/The/Celestia/WORKING/Folder

autoreconf -v -i

./configure --prefix=/DATA/SUSE --with-lua --with-qt --with-cspice-dir=/DATA/NGT/cspice
make -j 4
su
( NO "-" and type in root password )
make install

builds just fine with gcc 4.8

a word of warning
not celestia only

libpng16 !!!
there is a ADDED check added to the NEW png code
it looks for the icc color code in the images
and WILL report an error if the png images were created wit ha OLD version of libpng

libpng12-0
is in the suse repos
you might need to point code to use 12 and NOT 16 ???
maybe ???

PostPosted: Thu, 08-01-15, 12:50 GMT 

Both versons of png are installed. I've been using Qtcreator to build with. In Celestia.pro, libpng is controled by pkg-config. The way Suse has libpng set up is that libpng is a symbolic link to libpng-12. So it is being used. To use libpng-16, I would need to change the pkg-config line. That being said, I've noticed that any planet with rings, are being rendered as red balls. If the ring textures are missing, then the planets are rendered correctly. Haven't figured out why.
What I posted above was that I'm not sure how to get these lines to work.
Code:
    #system(sh src/celestia/qt/data/$${TARGET}.desktop.sh $${PREFIX} >src/celestia/qt/data/$${TARGET}.desktop)
    #desktop_file.target = src/celestia/qt/data/$${TARGET}.desktop
    #desktop_file.commands += src/celestia/qt/data/celestia.desktop.sh $${PREFIX} >$$desktop_file.target
    #desktop_file.depends += src/celestia/qt/data/celestia.desktop.sh
    #QMAKE_EXTRA_TARGETS += desktop_file
    #PRE_TARGETDEPS += $$desktop_file.target
    #QMAKE_CLEAN += src/celestia/qt/data/celestia.desktop
The top line was already commented out. If all the other lines are active, the build fails right away. It says there is no rule to build sh src/celestia/qt/data/$${TARGET}.desktop.sh needed by src/celestia/qt/data/$${TARGET}.desktop.

The build runs but it has the problem with ring planets. May also have other problems but that is all I've seen so far.
cartrite

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next