It is currently Mon, 24-09-18, 5:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hey, long time user here
PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 12:53 GMT 

Hi I was an avid user of celestia but stopped for a year or so, and its kinna sad that development has come to a halt (hopefully im wrong).

I created a few systems in the past and using celestia was looking into using some elements inspired by Ran 3 but unfortunately my PC doesn't render the glows and just renders huge semi transparent boxes (Weird since my pc is a brand new gaming pc).

How can I resolve that issue?

oh and happy to see this place is still going!

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 13:52 GMT 
Site Admin

zhar2 wrote:
Hi I was an avid user of celestia but stopped for a year or so, and its kinna sad that development has come to a halt (hopefully im wrong).

I created a few systems in the past and using celestia was looking into using some elements inspired by Ran 3 but unfortunately my PC doesn't render the glows and just renders huge semi transparent boxes (Weird since my pc is a brand new gaming pc).

How can I resolve that issue?

oh and happy to see this place is still going!

Welcome at CelestialMatters (CM)!

Yes there are plenty of familiar characters, including myself, I suppose ;-). Yet, CM is NOT supposed to be a replacement site for the shatters.net forum! This notably implies that I am not particularly pleased about extensive discussions on Celestia here.

With a still small but very devoted team we are developing celestia.Sci at CM. While celestia.Sci is building upon Celestia's SVN code base (http://celestia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/celestia/), it is not to be viewed as a straight continuation of Celestia and its design philosophy. If you are curious, have a look here.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=473

I wrote this brief survey more than a year ago and many new features have been implemented into celestia.Sci since. Yet the essence is still valid. Of course celestia.Sci development should long be public and people be able to play with oncoming developing versions, but --as so often-- "real life" has caused a few delays, getting us somewhat behind schedule.

We do NOT impose here a long list of "Don'ts", except one: Any Startrack/ Starwars stuff is off limits at CM! I have promised it at shatters and I'll stick to my promise...

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 14:51 GMT 

Hey thanks! Well I decided to use celestia to model the system of a project ive been working on for 3 years with other people from through out the world ( www.worldofgotha.com ), but no dont worry im not going to clutter with fictional stuff and what not. I just dont know where to turn with a few issues i've got (such as creating custom comet plumes, gas clouds, and the weird isues im having with Ran III).

Ideally if like to use the sprite system used in galaxies to create planet rings and tenuous asteroid fields but cannot find any information any where on on how to do it.

In the past I did create a star trek system and a tidally locked system and some textures.

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 14:53 GMT 

Just read your celestia.Sci article, Looks fantastic and I assume addon creation will be disabled. but looks like a grand project.

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 15:40 GMT 
Site Admin

zhar2 wrote:
Hey thanks! Well I decided to use celestia to model the system of a project ive been working on for 3 years with other people from through out the world ( http://www.worldofgotha.com ), but no dont worry im not going to clutter with fictional stuff and what not. I just dont know where to turn with a few issues i've got (such as creating custom comet plumes, gas clouds, and the weird isues im having with Ran III).

Ideally if like to use the sprite system used in galaxies to create planet rings and tenuous asteroid fields but cannot find any information any where on on how to do it.

In the past I did create a star trek system and a tidally locked system and some textures.

Please note that we certainly encourage good and inspiring fictional graphical work and discussions! But specifically, low-quality StarTreck & StarWars stuff really had a bad impact at shatters.net, as many other celestians will confirm.

Cham, for example, is doing very interesting graphical experiments with nebulae, starfields and other somewhat fictional objects in space. Also John Van Vliet is very active with excellent graphical 3D work. I would also like to return to graphics at times, but I have to write lots of celestia.Sci code these days ;-) I seriously hope we'll be ready to go public with celestia.Sci very shortly!

Besides celestial software and graphics discussions, you'll find plenty of good work when browsing CM a bit, such as presentations of great photographs as well as photo reports about trips and locations and of course expert discussions about important science results (particle physics, astrophysics , exoplanets, cosmology,...)

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 15:55 GMT 
Site Admin

zhar2 wrote:
Just read your celestia.Sci article, Looks fantastic and I assume addon creation will be disabled. but looks like a grand project.

As a rule of thumb: all features of Celestia will generally continue to work in celestia.Sci, but lots of new features and a new level of graphics quality will come in the DeepSpace and Cosmology regimes. For example, we now have a great new shader-based simulation of gravitational lensing phenomena, about which we shall report in detail very soon!

Add-ons continue to be supported as well. For now we simply don't have the menpower yet to investigate if problems with add-ons should arise.

See also this (notably towards the end!):
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=654#p12280

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 05-05-14, 23:55 GMT 

Quote:
I just dont know where to turn with a few issues i've got (such as creating custom comet plumes, gas clouds, and the weird isues im having with Ran III).

those we could help with .
for example the few Exo-planets that we have a few data points on .
Having good and PLAUSIBLE textures ( and ones that map to a sphere) is needed

This site is a bit different than shatters
-- however yesterday WAS "may 4" !!!!!!!!!!! -- "may the fourth be with you "
h t t p s : / / www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMNNpIksaI

that aside

posting a few things in the artwork section is fine
though the st and sw artwork ........

if needed send a pm and we can work something out
making decent planet textures is not as easy as one might think