It is currently Mon, 24-09-18, 2:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 4:12 GMT 

Normally, I'd post this on shatters.net, but it's still down at the time of this post, and I say "pseudo-" because exiting and restarting temporarily fixes it for random lengths of time.

Anyways, at the start of this year, I mentioned receiving a low quality laptop from a technophobic friend who doesn't know how to pay attention to computer specifications. ( :wall: ) Two and a half months pass before my other, older laptop dies for good, and I'm stuck with this one, and once again, I'm faced with a performance issue that has plagued me and infuriated me to no end my entire 10 years with Celestia: Celestia runs fine for an hour or so, and then the framerates and performance plummets irrevocably, and stays at or below 10 - 15 fps even if I'm in deep space millions of LY away with the rendering of all objects turned off.

The only time I ever had a break from this issue was when a friend upgraded a third computer, a fast HDX laptop from Vista x64 to Windows 7 Pro x64, which died on me almost a year to the day before the second one died.

With this one laptop pc I have left, I've no clue what to do to get rid of this performance loss problem. The only fix I know of is only a temporary one, exit and restart Celestia. If it helps, I've attached a condensed dxdiag.txt. Any ideas?

Attachments:
DxDiag_07_18_2014_condensed1.zip [2.35 KiB]
Downloaded 74 times

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 4:52 GMT 

Is the laptop energy saving set as: "always active" from Os?

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 17:19 GMT 

Are you talking about ho much time passes before the computer would fall asleep, dim/turn off the monitor, or hibernate? Or something else?

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 18:12 GMT 

I don't know about other PC's, but I use a very special cleaning utility to get rid of junk, deleted files in the recycle bin, temporary files, etc. These files - and of course cookies and other things - can severely slow down a PC running Celestia after a while...

Dunno if it helps or not, but I use the professional version of ccleaner in order to get rid of all of that junk. Works like a small miracle on MY pc. You can get it at the following link. - http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Brain-Dead Bob

8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System
HP Hardware

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 19:14 GMT 

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Are you talking about ho much time passes before the computer would fall asleep, dim/turn off the monitor, or hibernate? Or something else?

Yes, but from the main combobox; where there are also the buttons for saving and erase the user defined settings. Sorry, I've Xp italian version.

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 19:30 GMT 

In that case, my settings are to never sleep or hibernate, in additional to never turning off the monitor unless the lid is closed. As for CCleaner, I actually have that, but just the free version. I'm not too fond of sending money over the internet. :°

PostPosted: Sat, 19-07-14, 19:42 GMT 

Well, aside the language, the black highlight compobox says "always active" and the remains combos says "never": hard disks, monitor, standby. These latters "never" can be set also if in the forementioned main combo is set "laptop". In this case they will be "never" but the CPU frequency will be halves. Maybe is the slowing down of the CPU that is causing your "freezes" after long time.
Attachment:
mon.png
mon.png [ 25.15 KiB | Viewed 3741 times ]

PostPosted: Sun, 20-07-14, 1:23 GMT 

this sounds like the ram leak

once objects are loaded they DO NOT unload
a very fast way to see this is load the VERY hires Mercury 7 and the very hires ISS

the system RAM will get locked up

PostPosted: Mon, 21-07-14, 2:26 GMT 

John Van Vliet wrote:

a very fast way to see this is load the VERY hires Mercury 7 and the very hires ISS

Ouch. Any fixes or workarounds for a RAM leak?

PostPosted: Mon, 21-07-14, 8:30 GMT 
Site Admin

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
John Van Vliet wrote:

Ouch. Any fixes or workarounds for a RAM leak?

A memory leak arises as follows:

in C++ one dynamically reserves required memory by means of the 'new'
statement. The rule is simple: for every 'new' or 'new[]' operator there needs to be a corresponding 'delete' and 'delete[]' statement, respectively. The latter statements return the dynamically allocated memory to the memory heap. If the corresponding 'delete' is missing, an amount of memory is continuously blocked and thus leads to what is called a memory leak.
Soon or later performance is decreased substantially...

There are powerful software tools (valgrind,...gDEBugger,...) to track memory leaks in a program. Celestia does have quite a few ... There is no workaround except for a knowledgable programmer who is ready to spend plenty of time with this.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 22-07-14, 8:39 GMT 

It may help to monitor via the "windows task manager / performance monitor" while Celestia is running. Then you should be able to see the memory use while certain textures or models are loading. Then maybe you can see what is not unloading after you go to a new scene.

Assuming your running windows, it may also cause a problem if you have many images on your computer set to large or very large thumbnails. This will consume a large amount of ram. Setting video and picture folders to LIST may help reduce system memory giving more room for apps.
cartrite

PostPosted: Tue, 22-07-14, 23:39 GMT 

After I posted the above in the morning I was able to to a look at that first post download but ran out of time to respond. It looked like you had plenty of ram available. maybe some program (antivirus ?) running in the background is causing this?

I also noticed your using directx to run this?

Could be another windows story ?
cartrite

PostPosted: Wed, 23-07-14, 0:28 GMT 

it is not just a MS Windows issue
although there are likely DX issues also

i see it too on OpenSUSE

this is one of those things that requires a "tortoise" a "hare" is to fast

as a "hobby" every night take a section of a debug build and work throught it
for EVERY section of code

something for those cold winter nights when you DO NOT want to shovel the snow .
and the fire wood is taken care of
and there is NO "SO" in the house .

PostPosted: Wed, 23-07-14, 0:42 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
After I posted the above in the morning I was able to to a look at that first post download but ran out of time to respond. It looked like you had plenty of ram available. maybe some program (antivirus ?) running in the background is causing this?

I also noticed your using directx to run this?

Could be another windows story ?
cartrite

Unfortunately, my laptop has no separate graphics card, IIRC, just the motherboard, in this case, an AMD. It is OpenGL2-capable, and OGL2 works fine in Celestia. And I believe the Windows 8.1 install is the only OS on it, although it was an upgrade from Windows 8.0. I just use the built-in windows defender/security essentials for antivirus. Usually, I have windows media player running in the background playing music, but not much else.

PostPosted: Wed, 23-07-14, 8:52 GMT 

After looking at your attachment a little closer, I realized its not what I thought at first. Just system info. I'm not familiar with win 8 or 8.1. Not sure if it still has a memory monitor. If it does, I'd use it while Celestia is running. This may tell you what is not getting deleted from memory.