It is currently Sun, 16-12-18, 10:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bird Brains
PostPosted: Sat, 26-07-14, 21:10 GMT 

Tonight, I took a walk thru the woods. Along the way I scared up a robin. This bird was sending out an alarm call that you would not believe. So I took a look at where it took off from and noticed it was sitting on eggs. Kinda late to be doing that but...........? I just kept going along my way. On the way back I backtracked my former path and passed the robin nest again. This time it did not fly. It's nest was only about 4 feet of the ground so I was able to see it sitting on it's eggs. I guess this tree got bent over in one of the storms that came through last spring. Anyhow, this is within 100 yards from were I live so this bird must have seen me before. What was amazing about all this is that when I passed about a few feet on my return trip, it totally trusted me and did not go into it's alarm state that happened about a half hour before.

So, did this bird get to know that fast or did it recognize me as the person it sees every night cooking out in the front yard?
cartrite

Post subject: Re: Bird Brains
PostPosted: Sun, 27-07-14, 18:25 GMT 

just be glad you DO NOT have a "Blue jay" nest WITH BABES in a tree in your back yard

every time i would cut the grass , i was "dive bombed " and "strafed" and had the daddy jay do "kamikaze" runs at me

PostPosted: Sun, 27-07-14, 21:32 GMT 

As far as I know, birds recognizes the faces, nor just the "bulk" of the persons; and with their acute sight, even from distance. BTW, also the honey bees do it, but more at close distance.

PostPosted: Sun, 27-07-14, 22:22 GMT 

Well I just walked past this same nest and the bird did it's alarm call again. By the way, it's very good thing to notice these things. Cause sometimes, your not the one causing the alarm. there may be a bear or wolf larking about. Anyhow this was a quick trip back and forth this time so............. But in the long run, there has to be something wrong with a bird sitting on eggs this late in the season. Here is the thing. Last spring I was talking to someone while a robin flew into the window and died on impact. I wonder??????

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 18:40 GMT 

A few weeks ago, I went back down to see what was going on and found the nest tilted 90 degrees. Egg shells were on the ground and a bird wing was next to them.
Probably a fox but we do have coyotes too. Could have been a raccoon too maybe even a bear? This nest was only about 3 to 4 feet off the ground. Weird.
cartrite