It is currently Mon, 17-12-18, 9:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-14, 3:33 GMT 

I've created Ticket #266 at Sourceforge which fully describes this issue in Celestia v1.6.1

For me personally, it deserves a higher priority than logged, because it effectively makes full-screen mode unusable, however I just logged it as a priority 5 because it's very much platform specific. YMMV

CC

PS. This may or may not still be an issue in the .SCI fork.

PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-14, 7:05 GMT 
Site Admin

chuft-captain wrote:
I've created Ticket #266 at Sourceforge which fully describes this issue in Celestia v1.6.1

For me personally, it deserves a higher priority than logged, because it effectively makes full-screen mode unusable, however I just logged it as a priority 5 because it's very much platform specific. YMMV

CC

CC,

please,...the CM forum is not meant to be a site for discussing Celestia-specific bugs. Assigning your bug report to an active celestia.Sci team member (Dawoon) is also not a phantastic move ;-). Notably, since there are people on the old SF dev list celestia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
who still might be willing to devote some time to Celestia 1.6.1 bug-fixing etc (e.g. Bernard Godard). Dawoon is highly busy during his NASA internship in the US. The Celestia link you used on his SF profile page is historical I would say...

Both cursor and context menu work fine in fullscreen mode of celestia.Sci.

Like the SVN version 1.7.x of Celestia, celestia.Sci is based on the cross-platform Qt 4.x library. Compared to Celestia 1.6.1, the Celestia 1.7.x GUI code has been largely rewritten and applies to all platforms. I have completely rewritten the GUI part of celestia.Sci which differs a lot from Celestia 1.7.x. So no surprise that your mentioned bug is absent in celestia.Sci. Someone might tell whether it is also absent in the SVN version of Celestia.

Cheers,
Fridger

PS: Please modify the title of your thread to make clear that you refer to a Celestia 1.6.1 bug.

PostPosted: Wed, 06-08-14, 13:57 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
please,...the CM forum is not meant to be a site for discussing Celestia-specific bugs. Assigning your bug report to an active celestia.Sci team member (Dawoon) is also not a phantastic move ;-). Notably, since there are people on the old SF dev list celestia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
who still might be willing to devote some time to Celestia 1.6.1 bug-fixing etc (e.g. Bernard Godard). Dawoon is highly busy during his NASA internship in the US.
Unfortunately in SF it is mandatory that a ticket is assigned to "someone", but as you'll see if you read the ticket itself, I made it quite clear in the description that the assignment to DW was completely arbitrary and certainly with no expectation that he would be the right person to to actually fix it (Especially as he's mainly MacOS based AFAIK). As I have very little insight into who's currently active in the DEV team, I assumed that if any DEV's are still active on that front, they can re-assign the ticket to themselves if they're willing to look into it. (I thought that I made this fairly clear on the ticket)
Actually, given the lack of apparent activity on that front, I logged this defect without any expectation that this would be fixed any time soon (if at all), but I usually take the attitude that any defect that goes unreported is certainly much less likely to be fixed. At least by reporting it, it might just be dealt with eventually if a kindly DEV sees it.

t00fri wrote:
The Celestia link you used on his SF profile page is historical I would say...
What link? I don't recall using a link (unless you're referring to the drop-down list of DEV's? -- Perhaps it's time for a cleanup/purging of non-active DEV's on SF.)

Quote:
Both cursor and context menu work fine in fullscreen mode of celestia.Sci. Like the SVN version 1.7.x of Celestia, celestia.Sci is based on the cross-platform Qt 4.x library. Compared to Celestia 1.6.1, the Celestia 1.7.x GUI code has been largely rewritten and applies to all platforms. I have completely rewritten the GUI part of celestia.Sci which differs a lot from Celestia 1.7.x. So no surprise that your mentioned bug is absent in celestia.Sci. Someone might tell whether it is also absent in the SVN version of Celestia.
Good to hear. - I figured that would probably be the case:
cc wrote:

Quote:
PS: Please modify the title of your thread to make clear that you refer to a Celestia 1.6.1 bug.
I did make it quite clear in the OP:
Quote:
"...which fully describes this issue in Celestia v1.6.1"

With a little creativity I've now managed to "shoehorn" it into the title as well by losing the word "mode". - Better? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed, 06-08-14, 15:14 GMT 
Site Admin

CC,

thanks for a better title. I also played a bit...sorry. Have a look.

As to my link reference: Clicking your SF Ticket link and then to the Owner link (Dawoon) gets you to Dawoons SF profile page. It contains a link to Celestia and to some other software, he contributed to.

That Celestia link I was referring to.

Fridger

PostPosted: Wed, 06-08-14, 19:20 GMT 

seeing as SVN 5229 is a year old
i would have thought that most would be using that

there is a windows build someplace and the linux and mac versions will build with no problems

PostPosted: Thu, 07-08-14, 1:34 GMT 

Yes,

It might be worth my while to download VS2013 EXPRESS for C++ and build the latest SVN version, although I doubt this bug will be fixed in the latest SVN because it's probably specific to Intel IvyBridge chipset (which I suspect is more recent than the latest SVN.)

That said, I'm not sure if Celestia will build with the latest 2013 tools anyway.
I recall some discussions long ago about some libraries being incompatible with 2010 or 2012 versions of the IDE. Unfortunately those discussions took place on the now defunct shatters.net, so I don't know exactly what the issue was.
Does anyone remember what the restrictions are, and which versions of the EXPRESS tools are suitable for building Celestia?

eg. Do I need a VS2008 EXPRESS or older version to build Celestia? Older versions of the EXPRESS tools will be quite hard to come by these days, although I do remember building Celestia at least once on my previous machine, so I may have a copy of an older version somewhere.

Regards
CC

PostPosted: Thu, 07-08-14, 1:53 GMT 

back when i owned a copy of Visual studio i was finding that celestia built rather WELL and very easily using MinGW and gcc

PostPosted: Thu, 07-08-14, 14:44 GMT 
Site Admin

chuft-captain wrote:
eg. Do I need a VS2008 EXPRESS or older version to build Celestia?

Regards
CC

No!

Some years ago, I built the SVN version almost daily under Win7 using VS 2010 and the latest available Qt 4.x version. Yet, there are a number of bugs that need to be fixed by the builder. Notably with Intel HD 3000 onboard graphics, the OGL drivers still have bugs. The Bookmarks menu crashes in certain configs etc.

Although building and operation of the SVN version is mostly unproblematic, there are nevertheless plenty of pitfalls that I don't want to have iterated again in CM.

Once celestia.Sci is publicly available, the building issue under Windows will anyway come up once more ;-).

Here are a few things one needs to know about:

• How to install the Qt library? Don't use Qt 5.x yet!
  • MinGW or not? I always go native without problems.
  • Setting the correct compile and link parameters in VS 2010
  • Win8 probably doesn't work? (I can't tell)
  • Important: Don't attempt a 64 bit compilation! Stay on 32 bit also on 64 bit machines. VS 2010 can do both. For MAC-OS and Linux a 64 bit compilation is no problem, of course ;-)
  • By all means, install Service Pack 1 (SP1) (or higher) of VS 2010!
  • Use the Qt-Creator IDE by all means, for building, editing debugging and configuration.

Fridger

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 9:36 GMT 

I think last year or the year before, I was able to build with qt5. But of course it wasn't the .sci version. From what I remember, it looked a lot worse at first than it really was. There is a thread about it somewhere here.
cartrite

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 12:09 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I think last year or the year before, I was able to build with qt5. But of course it wasn't the .sci version. From what I remember, it looked a lot worse at first than it really was. There is a thread about it somewhere here.
cartrite

I know about your Qt5 efforts, Steve. But I still advice Qt4 for people who e.g. are presumably already encountering problems to properly install Qt4 ;-)

Fridger

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 17:51 GMT 

Ich verstehe.
My mother is German and Hungarian. Trying to remember the old tongue.
cartrite

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 20:35 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
Ich verstehe.
My mother is German and Hungarian. Trying to remember the old tongue.
cartrite

Aha! So far perfect German :° .

Fridger

PostPosted: Fri, 08-08-14, 22:36 GMT 

:clap: