It is currently Mon, 24-09-18, 1:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat, 08-11-14, 0:55 GMT 

I don't know what kind of debuggers come with this program. I had my first look at it about 6 hours ago.

Strange thing is, the program I think is causing this was committed over a year ago. MMmmmm.

PostPosted: Sat, 08-11-14, 9:02 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I don't know what kind of debuggers come with this program. I had my first look at it about 6 hours ago.

Strange thing is, the program I think is causing this was committed over a year ago. MMmmmm.

How about Microsoft’s “Debugging Tools for Windows” ?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

The best debugger is of course GNU gdb. I always use it. It's included in Linux and MinGW. Another good reason why I mostly do my development work in Linux...

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 09-11-14, 12:14 GMT 

I thought I already had this installed. I do have the installer file. In any case it is not being used by QT.
Anyhow, I commented out the menus that I thought was causing the crash but it still crashes. This time it doesn't say anything. So something else is also going on.

PostPosted: Sun, 09-11-14, 15:26 GMT 

Well. I didn't have it installed. Now I do.....................
Seems to be a write violation with GL and vesta. That's with the menus disabled that were having the no such signal problem. Those initalize gl statements that were commented out in UniverseView.cpp????

I actually got it running by disabling some code in Atmosphere.cpp. The menus show up but don't work and the screen is all black.

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 2:10 GMT 

OK. It builds and runs.
Code:
Index: cosmographia.pro
===================================================================
--- cosmographia.pro   (revision 824)
+++ cosmographia.pro   (working copy)
@@ -8,6 +8,9 @@
 QT += opengl
 QT += network
 QT += declarative
+QT += core
+QT += gui
+QT += widgets

#### App sources ####
Index: src/main/UniverseView.cpp
--- src/main/UniverseView.cpp   (revision 824)
+++ src/main/UniverseView.cpp   (working copy)
@@ -901,7 +901,7 @@
     glPopMatrix();
     glPopClientAttrib();
     glPopAttrib();
-
+/*
     //if (GLEW_VERSION_1_5)
     {
         glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);
@@ -911,7 +911,7 @@
     {
         glUseProgram(0);
     }
-
+*/
     glShadeModel(GL_FLAT);
     glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);
     glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
Index: thirdparty/vesta/Atmosphere.cpp
--- thirdparty/vesta/Atmosphere.cpp   (revision 824)
+++ thirdparty/vesta/Atmosphere.cpp   (working copy)
@@ -276,7 +276,7 @@
 {
     // Precomputed atmospheric scattering requires features not available in
     // Open GL ES 2.0
-#ifndef VESTA_OGLES2
+#ifdef VESTA_OGLES2
     GLuint scatterTexId = 0;
     glGenTextures(1, &scatterTexId);
     glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_3D, scatterTexId);

As some will be able to see I disabled some code and added some QT defines to the .pro file.So far I only built the debug version and haven't really tried everything. Something to play with for a while. :DD

:( This does break earth when the atmosphere is on. I'll have to see if I can figure out why this is causing it to crash. Also those signals that CC first seen are still a problem. It's just not causing the crash.
cartrite

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 9:57 GMT 
Site Admin

Steve,

I had used exactly the same modifications. Notably also the same Qt+= ... additions and the GLEW stuff. Yet I still get a Segfault under Linux for R824. Several days ago I gave up for reasons of time. R800 runs fine here.

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 12:45 GMT 

This is the code that causes the crash for a write access violation,
Quote:
#ifndef VESTA_OGLES2
GLuint scatterTexId = 0;

// Clamp scatter table values before converting them to half-floats. On at least one driver,
// the conversion from 32-bit float to 16-bit half float seems to be performed incorrectly for
// values very near zero.
unsigned int tableSize = m_scatterSunAngleSamples * m_scatterViewAngleSamples * m_scatterHeightSamples;
for (unsigned int i = 0; i < tableSize; ++i)
{
m_inscatterTable[i] = Vector4f(max(0.00001f, min(256.0f, m_inscatterTable[i].x())),
max(0.00001f, min(256.0f, m_inscatterTable[i].y())),
max(0.00001f, min(256.0f, m_inscatterTable[i].z())),
max(0.00001f, min(256.0f, m_inscatterTable[i].w())));
}

glTexImage3D(GL_TEXTURE_3D,
GL_RGBA16F,
m_scatterSunAngleSamples, m_scatterViewAngleSamples, m_scatterHeightSamples,
GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT,
&m_inscatterTable[0]);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_R, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
//glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_3D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
m_scatterTexture = new TextureMap(scatterTexId, TextureProperties(TextureProperties::Clamp));

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_3D, 0);
#endif

The debugger points to the line highlighted in red. So I tried commenting out that line and it crashes on the line below. The same for the rest of the lines until the endif.
I've gotten segmentation faults on this machine before so I'm not sure if this is the linux equivalent or something else entirely.
What I ended up doing was taking the "n" out of "#ifndef VESTA_OGLES2" which disables it all.

As for those 2 gl statements whose identifiers are not found during the compile, I'm not sure why that is. the glBindBuffer is used in other programs that are built without issue. But don't have any reference to qtopengl headers. In qt4 they are in the qt4 header files found in the src folder but qt5 does not have those 2 in the equivalent headers. They are in headers in the qtgui folder. QOpenGLFunctions. But these refer to opengl_es. I've tried adding this header but they are still not found. They do get undefined in one the headers I looked at. The reason being to stop any interference (redefinition) with glew.

As far as the signal problem, that probably has something to do with a syntax change. Although they say that it should still work. I was looking at this page.
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/signalsa ... ml#signals and this page. http://woboq.com/blog/new-signals-slots ... n-qt5.html
Those are just warnings though and don't have anything to do with it crashing. They just make a few menu items useless.
cartrite

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 16:59 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Steve,

I had used exactly the same modifications. Notably also the same Qt+= ... additions and the GLEW stuff. Yet I still get a Segfault under Linux for R824. Several days ago I gave up for reasons of time. R800 runs fine here.

Fridger
I'm also happy with R800, as my only interest in Cosmographia was to compare it with Celestia, and specifically to evaluate it's implementation of spacecraft shadows. While Cosmographia is quite a nice program for what it is (due to it's roots in Celestia I guess) it's obviously targeted at the tablet market, but IMO Celestia provides a lot more flexibility in terms of what you can do with it.
Perhaps Chris had to sacrifice some of Celestia's functionality to comply with limitations of the tablets, or perhaps he just a different concept in mind for Cosmographia. Still a nice piece of software though more basic than Celestia, and even with I suspect some residual Qt5 code remaining in R800, it still seems quite stable.

On a completely different subject, I'm currently fascinated by the current series of documentaries and other tele/web casts celebrating the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall on Deutsche Welle. So I was looking at a lot of interesting and historical aspects of Berlin, including looking in Google Maps.
One very strange thing I noticed is that Google seem to have made very little progress (if any) in capturing "street-views" of parts of East Berlin/Germany.
Given that the Re-Unification occurred around the same time as the beginning of the internet, and certainly long before the existence of Google, there has been AFAIK no "political impediments" or physical barriers to this since Google began, so I am quite surprised by the following snapshot of the "ducks-beak" area in Berlin where parts with street-view are indicated by the blue lines:
Attachment:
ducks-beak.jpg
ducks-beak.jpg [ 454.68 KiB | Viewed 3824 times ]
I thought that as a German Fridger, you might know or at least have some insight as to the possible reasons for this clear demarcation between east and west by Google.
Seems strange to me given that all previously dissected roads into the east were re-instated as early as 1990 I think.
I admit that I know little about German politics, so maybe there are some residual political constraints I'm un-aware of.
EDIT: ... or cultural barriers ... At risk of being insensitive or politically in-correct, I submit the thesis that after decades of being spied upon by the Stasi, the sight of mysterious cars with roof-mounted 360 deg camera's driving their streets, is something the average East-German is not quite ready for. ;)

PS. I'm just curious about the cause of what looks like a rather strange artifact of the cold-war (but I'm quite ignorant of the cultural sensitivities in Germany, so I hope my light-hearted comments do not offend).

Last edited by chuft-captain on Mon, 10-11-14, 20:39 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 18:47 GMT 

In case anyone is interested this patch fixes the signal glitch on the 3 menus, time display, star style, and stereo mode.
Code:
@@ -8,6 +8,9 @@
 QT += opengl
 QT += network
 QT += declarative
+QT += core
+QT += gui
+QT += widgets

#### App sources ####
Index: src/main/Cosmographia.cpp
--- src/main/Cosmographia.cpp   (revision 824)
+++ src/main/Cosmographia.cpp   (working copy)
@@ -15,6 +15,8 @@
 // limitations under the License.

#include <QtGui>
+#include <QtWidgets>
+#include <QWidget>

#include "UniverseView.h"
 #include "GalleryView.h"
@@ -216,7 +218,7 @@
     multipleTimeAction->setData(int(UniverseView::TimeDisplay_Multiple));
     timeDisplayMenu->addAction(multipleTimeAction);
     timeMenu->addMenu(timeDisplayMenu);
-    connect(timeDisplayGroup, SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setTimeDisplay(QAction*)));
+    connect(timeDisplayGroup, SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setTimeDisplay(QAction*)));

timeMenu->addSeparator();
     QAction* pauseAction = new QAction("&Pause", this);
@@ -448,8 +450,8 @@
     connect(sunGlareAction,         SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setSunGlare(bool)));
     connect(reflectionsAction,      SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setReflections(bool)));
     connect(milkyWayAction,         SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setMilkyWayVisible(bool)));
-    connect(starStyleGroup,         SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setStarStyle(QAction*)));
-    connect(stereoModeGroup,        SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setStereoMode(QAction*)));
+    connect(starStyleGroup,         SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setStarStyle(QAction*)));
+    connect(stereoModeGroup,        SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setStereoMode(QAction*)));

/*** Help menu ***/
     QMenu* helpMenu = new QMenu("Help", this);
@@ -901,7 +901,7 @@
     glPopMatrix();
     glPopClientAttrib();
     glPopAttrib();
-
+/*
     //if (GLEW_VERSION_1_5)
     {
@@ -911,7 +911,7 @@
     {
         glUseProgram(0);
     }
-
+*/
     glShadeModel(GL_FLAT);
     glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);
@@ -276,7 +276,7 @@
 {
     // Precomputed atmospheric scattering requires features not available in
     // Open GL ES 2.0
-#ifndef VESTA_OGLES2
+#ifdef VESTA_OGLES2
     GLuint scatterTexId = 0;

Getting there.
cartrite

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 21:41 GMT 
Site Admin

CC,

Quote:
I thought that as a German Fridger, you might know or at least have some insight as to the possible reasons for this clear demarcation between east and west by Google.

Hmm... there are certainly "clear demarcations" between East and Weat about which I could make some competent comments. But sorry, no idea about the strongly differing amount of Google intrusion into the East and West of Germany, respectively ;-) . The point being that these days the average Berlin tourist will not even notice during his explorative walks near the former Wall that he/she has just passed from West to East or vice versa (the past few days excepted, of course).

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 21:43 GMT 
Site Admin

Steve,

thanks a lot for your continuing explorations. I'll certainly try out your patch NOW!

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 22:13 GMT 
Site Admin

Steve,

back from trying out your patch: R824 seems indeed to be running fine now, also under OpenSuSE 13.1 x86_64! Thanks again for your efforts.

Yet, besides clicking a few admittedly nice displays of solar system bodies and encounters, I never know what to do next with Cosmographia, given that I neither own a tablet nor a smart phone ;-) Anybody discovered visual differences between R800 and R824?

Cheers,
Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-11-14, 22:38 GMT 

For one. there is no planet atmospheres in r824. Been disabled ;) .I been playing around with the table loop. But got nowhere yet. I get strange results in the data though.
Quote:
Locals
i 0 unsigned int
scatterTexId 1913720799 unsigned int
tableSize 129495200 unsigned int
this 0x43dca8 vesta::Atmosphere *
DefaultScatterTableHeightSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultScatterTableSunAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultScatterTableViewAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultTransmittanceTableHeightSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultTransmittanceTableViewAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
m_absorptionCoeff class Eigen::Matrix<> Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>
m_inscatterTable class std::vector<> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,4,1,2,4,1>,Eigen::aligned_allocator<Eigen::Matrix<float,4,1,2,4,1>>>
m_mieAsymmetry 2.222419568e-038 float
m_mieScaleHeight 0 float
m_mieScatteringCoeff 1.541428311e-044 float
m_planetRadius 2.767620634e-034 float
m_rayleighScaleHeight 6.23384998e-039 float
m_rayleighScatteringCoeff class Eigen::Matrix<> Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>
m_scatterHeightSamples 5767244 unsigned int
m_scatterSunAngleSamples 4447416 unsigned int
m_scatterTexture class vesta::counted_ptr<> vesta::counted_ptr<vesta::TextureMap>
m_scatterViewAngleSamples 143720512 unsigned int
m_transmittanceHeightSamples 0 unsigned int
m_transmittanceTable <2797821 items> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>>
m_transmittanceTexture class vesta::counted_ptr<> vesta::counted_ptr<vesta::TextureMap>
m_transmittanceViewAngleSamples 155058240 unsigned int
vesta::Atmosphere::IndexOfRefraction_Air_0 1.0002923800000001 double
vesta::Atmosphere::IndexOfRefraction_Air_15 1.00027712 double
vesta::Atmosphere::MolecularDensity_Air_0 2.6862654907403571e+025 double
vesta::Atmosphere::MolecularDensity_Air_15 2.546962249347475e+025 double
vesta::Object class vesta::Object vesta::Object
Inspector
Expressions
Return Value
Tooltip

Locals
i 134744288 unsigned int
scatterTexId 2508051615 unsigned int
this 0x89dcf8 vesta::Atmosphere *
DefaultScatterTableHeightSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultScatterTableSunAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultScatterTableViewAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultTransmittanceTableHeightSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
DefaultTransmittanceTableViewAngleSamples <Static const member value not available error> <Static const member value not available error>
m_inscatterTable class std::vector<> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,4,1,2,4,1>,Eigen::aligned_allocator<Eigen::Matrix<float,4,1,2,4,1>>>
m_mieAsymmetry 2.189359125e-037 float
m_mieScaleHeight 0 float
m_planetRadius 4.093644383e-034 float
m_rayleighScaleHeight 1.266244681e-038 float
m_scatterSunAngleSamples 9035016 unsigned int
m_scatterTexture class vesta::counted_ptr<> vesta::counted_ptr<vesta::TextureMap>
m_scatterViewAngleSamples 143458368 unsigned int
m_transmittanceTable <2815617 items> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>>
m_transmittanceTexture class vesta::counted_ptr<> vesta::counted_ptr<vesta::TextureMap>
m_transmittanceViewAngleSamples 154796096 unsigned int
Inspector
Expressions
Return Value
Tooltip

Locals
i 130006976 unsigned int
scatterTexId 4003133201 unsigned int
this 0x43dd28 vesta::Atmosphere *
m_mieAsymmetry 1.120393614e-038 float
m_mieScaleHeight 0 float
m_planetRadius 2.885118641e-034 float
m_rayleighScaleHeight 6.234029346e-039 float
m_scatterSunAngleSamples 4447544 unsigned int
m_scatterViewAngleSamples 143130688 unsigned int
m_transmittanceTable <2427771 items> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>>
m_transmittanceViewAngleSamples 153681984 unsigned int
Inspector
Expressions
Return Value
Tooltip

Locals
i 262144 double
scatterTexId 566091478 unsigned int
tableSize 1.2951634466340773e-318 double
this 0x3ddcf8 vesta::Atmosphere *
m_mieAsymmetry 1.541428311e-044 float
m_mieScaleHeight 2.938741482e-039 float
m_mieScatteringCoeff 2.939206713e-039 float
m_planetRadius 5.305828851e-034 float
m_rayleighScaleHeight 5.682949106e-039 float
m_scatterSunAngleSamples 4054280 unsigned int
m_scatterViewAngleSamples 146931776 unsigned int
m_transmittanceTable <146354107 items> std::vector<Eigen::Matrix<float,3,1,2,3,1>>
m_transmittanceViewAngleSamples 157483072 unsigned int
Inspector
Expressions
Return Value
Tooltip
The top of that is the run I tried using tableSize as is. Then I replaced tableSize with the variables used to calculate tableSize. Last I used i < 262144.
Most of the seg faults I ran into had something to do with these kind of loops. Trying to write too much in an allocated buffer not big enough. But if this the cause, I haven't found it yet.

I haven't seen any other problems yet in 824. I haven't seen any in 800.
cartrite

PostPosted: Tue, 11-11-14, 2:08 GMT 

Here is another patch that may be used if you are using opengl_es2 version of qt5. It doesn't disable the code because of #ifndef VESTA_OGLES2. It simply doesn't call this.
Code:
Index: cosmographia.pro
@@ -8,8 +8,12 @@
 QT += opengl
 QT += network
 QT += declarative
+QT += core
+QT += gui
+QT += widgets

+
 #### App sources ####

MAIN_PATH = src/main
Index: src/main/Cosmographia.cpp
--- src/main/Cosmographia.cpp   (revision 824)
+++ src/main/Cosmographia.cpp   (working copy)
@@ -15,6 +15,8 @@
 // limitations under the License.

#include <QtGui>
+#include <QtWidgets>
+#include <QWidget>

#include "UniverseView.h"
 #include "GalleryView.h"
@@ -216,7 +218,7 @@
     multipleTimeAction->setData(int(UniverseView::TimeDisplay_Multiple));
     timeDisplayMenu->addAction(multipleTimeAction);
     timeMenu->addMenu(timeDisplayMenu);
-    connect(timeDisplayGroup, SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setTimeDisplay(QAction*)));
+    connect(timeDisplayGroup, SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setTimeDisplay(QAction*)));

timeMenu->addSeparator();
     QAction* pauseAction = new QAction("&Pause", this);
@@ -448,8 +450,8 @@
     connect(sunGlareAction,         SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setSunGlare(bool)));
     connect(reflectionsAction,      SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setReflections(bool)));
     connect(milkyWayAction,         SIGNAL(triggered(bool)), m_view3d, SLOT(setMilkyWayVisible(bool)));
-    connect(starStyleGroup,         SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setStarStyle(QAction*)));
-    connect(stereoModeGroup,        SIGNAL(selected(QAction*)), this, SLOT(setStereoMode(QAction*)));
+    connect(starStyleGroup,         SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setStarStyle(QAction*)));
+    connect(stereoModeGroup,        SIGNAL(triggered(QAction *)), this, SLOT(setStereoMode(QAction*)));

/*** Help menu ***/
     QMenu* helpMenu = new QMenu("Help", this);
@@ -901,7 +901,7 @@
     glPopMatrix();
     glPopClientAttrib();
     glPopAttrib();
-
+/*
     //if (GLEW_VERSION_1_5)
     {
@@ -911,7 +911,7 @@
     {
         glUseProgram(0);
     }
-
+*/
     glShadeModel(GL_FLAT);
     glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);
@@ -205,7 +205,7 @@
 Atmosphere::generateTextures()
 {
     generateTransmittanceTexture();
-    generateInscatterTexture();
+//    generateInscatterTexture();
 }

PostPosted: Tue, 11-11-14, 2:53 GMT 

I built a debug version of r800. I used the inspect c++ code base on both versions of 824 and 800. 824 has qt.h in first place with a about half of gl headers symbols but qt4 has glew.h with almost all gl headers and symbols.

Changing a word and adding a space. That's all it took for the signal problem. I 'm not sure if it's the case to fix the atmospheres though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next