It is currently Mon, 18-06-18, 9:50 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue, 16-12-14, 5:31 GMT 

Since I now have a decent computer, I have it and it's really good, at least in the visual graphics aspect. My only issue with it is that it is quite a bit more difficult and infinitely more time-consuming to add custom planets and systems than it is with Celestia, especially since there aren't a whole lot of utilities to make it easier, like with Celestia, as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat, 20-12-14, 1:13 GMT 

no but i was contacted by the developer about using my maps

it is supposed to run in wine

i was going to find out if it worked or not

---- added ----
from a quick look around

as EVERYONE knows i have a pet peeve about using shaded surface textures as height maps

some shaded B&W textures are being used as 8 bit bump maps

PostPosted: Fri, 26-12-14, 10:19 GMT 

Russian's awesome work. Render realtime extra-solar system planets with detailed 3D surface. Wonderful 3D galaxies and nebulae. Motion blur, and gravity lens that Dr Schrempp has always been wanting. People at shatters talked about it years ago. Said to be partly based on Celestia. Actually a sandbox game in many ways. Finally, when can Celestia be like this? Hope to see a great scientific and educational tool more than just an eye candy.

PostPosted: Sun, 28-12-14, 22:11 GMT 

I tried it out once a year or so back (I think)... found it rather unstable and never got the hang of the navigation. Maybe it has improved since then.

PostPosted: Mon, 29-12-14, 19:48 GMT 

ajtribick wrote:
I tried it out once a year or so back (I think)... found it rather unstable and never got the hang of the navigation. Maybe it has improved since then.

Depends on your hardware, I believe. My observation so far at their English forums is that the staff and admins are huge hardware snobs, and essentially refuse to provide any real support for low-end machines, especially not for those with integrated graphics. :wall:

And as for navigation, I do know that in at least the last two versions, 0.971 and 0.972 (and perhaps more), short-cut keys can be re-assigned.

PostPosted: Wed, 04-02-15, 9:02 GMT 

Quote:
My only issue with it is that it is quite a bit more difficult and infinitely more time-consuming to add custom planets and systems than it is with Celestia, especially since there aren't a whole lot of utilities to make it easier, like with Celestia, as far as I can tell.

part of that can be solved using the perl scripts for "Hugin" to convert our Simple Cylindrical maps into 6 face Cube maps
see my thread on a different tool that i use the perl scripts with
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=732

but that still leaves a lot of other things

however the labeling of images in the cube faces folders is almost the same as in cosmographia a simple tiling script will take care that

PostPosted: Fri, 01-05-15, 11:07 GMT 

To be honest, it's only been weeks since I found the nerve to install Celestia and play around with the add-ons; and within the past 5 days have I now found out that there's something that succeeded Celestia in SpaceEngine. I feel like I'm late to the party...

*edited for grammatical mistakes.

Last edited by roninwolf1981 on Fri, 01-05-15, 18:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, 01-05-15, 14:31 GMT 
Site Admin

roninwolf1981 wrote:
To be honest, it's only been weeks since I found the nerve to install Celestia and play around with the add-ons; and within the past 5 days did I now found out that there's something that succeeded Celestia in SpaceEngine.

Welcome to the CelestialMatters (CM) site!
roninwolf1981 wrote:
I feel like I'm late to the party...

Not quite so! Under the cover there is an intensive development of celestia.Sci going on, here at CM now and soon in public! For further info, see the forum: celestia.Sci Development
and there in particular the two blogs

While the first one is partly outdated, it still tells some general strategies we are pursuing in the new code development.

Fridger

PS: In the meantime Celestia is perfectly able to challenge your discovery potential ;-)
For some of us, this lasted for more than a decade...

PostPosted: Fri, 01-05-15, 17:11 GMT 

while celestia and the newer ".sci" version use maps
SpaceEngine MOSTLY uses FPS ( first person shooter ) type gaming code to procedurally generates planets and landscape and plants

now it can use already made textures but it is limited on the LOD ( level of detail)

also it is Microsoft Windows ONLY!!!
it only runs on 1 of the 4 major computer operating systems

right now Celestia can be used to create VERY accurate simulations
like Dawn at Ceres
May4 there will be a good shot of the double bright spot
Image Image

also Space Engine is having a few issues converting the DEM for vesta , from earlier in the Dawn mission, to a cube map ( polar pinch issues )

Last edited by John Van Vliet on Sat, 02-05-15, 16:45 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat, 02-05-15, 8:05 GMT 

It is rather discouraging that SpaceEngine is a rather high-end program that sounds rather taxing on lower-quality computers.

And for my anticipation, I honestly cannot wait until higher-resolution images of Pluto and Charon are available.