It is currently Sun, 16-12-18, 13:50 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Windows Story
PostPosted: Fri, 24-05-13, 20:37 GMT 

I must say that I've just about had it with Windows operating systems. Today, I was thinking of creating a 128k VT of the specular map I've been working on to see what the original resolution looked like. I navigated to the folder where the files were and my Internet Security deleted the file. :twisted: :evil: While I was looking at it. :evil: :evil: :evil: Said it was a trojan. I was the one that created it.

Last week, I updated the graphics driver. A few minutes later, Windows update put the old driver back in. I'm doing something and a pop up comes up saying that I need to reboot cause Windows Update just installed new updates. The OLD DRIVER. :shock: I turn off automatic updates and now I'm greeted every few hours with a message that my system is not configured correctly. I need turn on automatic updates. Anyhow I uninstalled the Internet Security software I was using and installed another that was free. They tried to sell me 3 different things in the first 5 minutes. It's calmed down for now I'm sure an adventure awaits me. :shock:

I downloaded a openSuse 12.3 last week and was thinking about installing it on a USB hard drive. After today, I'm thinking of installing Suse on this hard drive and scrapping Windows altogether.

These stories are only the tip of the ice berg. I can go on and on about all the crap I've been dealing with these last few years since using store bought computers/laptops with Windows 7 on board. Oh well. In the past, I used the professional version of XP that was from the college library I attended. Miss those days. :( Well back to the Windows experience. Later.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 24-05-13, 20:51 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi hi....you are not the only one with such absurd experiences! Since years I am developing in parallel with Linux and Windows installations. I could tell you plenty of similar stories...

Also, we are meanwhile running full 64bit versions of celestia.Sci both under MAC OSX and Linux while a 64bit version for Win 7 is still plenty of work ahead.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 0:54 GMT 

Before my dad passed away ( he was using win 7 64 bit )
i had disabled Auto update and set it to NOTIFY ONLY
when there were updates to install and let ME decide on when to install them

well MS stealth changed that ( likely using the "security update " exception )

installed updates WHILE he was running Excel
( working on there churches tax reports )
he entered a value into a cell and hit < enter >
the < enter > instead clicked "yes" on the hidden "reboot NOW" window hidden under the spreed sheet .

luckily Excel auto saved the last state before rebooting

Man was he PISSED OFF

OpenSUSE 12 is nice , i like 12.2 and in the next 3 to 6 months i will be upgrading to 12.3

Now some say Novell " went to the DARK SIDE of the force" with there Microsoft licensing / patent agreement
( there is some "anger" in the opensource community about that )

But there is also some targeted at Canonical and Ubuntu for moving away from the " Standard Linux Base "

Now if you install opensuse 12.3 you will likely want to use the KDE desktop

Gnome3 is , in my opinion , is unusable
moving from windows to Linux will take some " getting used to "

things are a bit different
if you need help i am here or over at LinuxQuestions forum
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
public profile
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... vv-197074/

OpenSUSE is not perfect it to has an "auto update" BUT and this is a very big difference
it DOSE stay set to notify only

my one gripe is disabling the "pop up" hints
this might be fixed in 12.3 but right now is is a bit hard to disable
( you mouse over a icon or menu item and a "hint" pop's up )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 15:31 GMT 

Hey John,

Quote:
luckily Excel auto saved the last state before rebooting

Man was he PISSED OFF

That's a good one. Glad that no real damage was done.

I'm using my 3rd laptop now. Care to imagine what happened to laptops 1 and 2.

The last versions of Suse I used were openSuse 11.1 and 10.2. I first started using Suse with version 8. This was just after I got my first high speed Internet connection. After getting the connection, I installed Windows XP Pro. After the installation finished, I ran Windows update. Before Windows update finished, the machine got infected with a virus.
It rebooted before finishing the update. Then it rebooted every time before completing the boot. That is when I used my first Internet security software. That is also when I first started using Suse 8. This is also when I found out about Celestia. It was part of Suse 8. I installed that version of Celestia and wanted to get some more eye candy!!!!.

EDIT: When I first used computers, I wrote programs for a mainframe. When I first encountered Windows/MSDOS, I didn't like it. This was part of my educational experience long ago.
My first exposure to Unix based systems was back at the beginning of this century. I had to fix some installation errors in the processor for a 5ess. Rewire the backplain and reconfigure parameters. This is a telephone switch that used Unix System v as it's brain. It is used by all Telecom companies.

Thanks for the links John. They will probably come in handy. I do remember that Linux is a pain to configure for what you want but once configured, it is very stable.

I can't wait till I start using Linx again. With Windows, I can't use ISIS3.

Fast forward to the present.

When that file got deleted, it was only a major inconvenience. The sister file that was called 128k-earthspec.tif was not deleted. So all I have to do is execute a gdal_translate command to recreate the png file that was deleted. I want to compare this file to the BMNG file and weed out areas of water where there is no visible water on the BMNG map.

The only real consequence of the events I went through yesterday is that Anheuser-Busch and Jim Beam made a few extra bucks. :wink:

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 17:36 GMT 

What I would like to see :D , but will probably never happen. :cry: , is computers / laptops, etc. , to come with installation disks. The computer will have no OS. The person buying this computer has the option of installing the OS of choice. Linux or Windows or whatever.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 19:48 GMT 

Quote:
What I would like to see Very Happy , but will probably never happen. Crying or Very sad , is computers / laptops, etc. , to come with installation disks. The computer will have no OS. The person buying this computer has the option of installing the OS of choice. Linux or Windows or whatever.

that would be nice
but Sony makes MORE cash of the "crapware" they install on laptops than the windows license costs , and possible up about 1/2 half the cost of the laptop .

suse 12 not bad and as you know from using 8 on up
it is a bit bloated
( this is mostly for others reading this )

i describe it as
" Novell tossed in everything including the kitchen sink , and then for good measure
tossed in your neighbors kitchen sink ."

for the " new to linux" people SELD and OpenSUSE are VERY GUI centric
most things are more easly done using the GUI ( yast2) than from the terminal

that is one of the reasons it is a bit "bloated"

Quote:
Anheuser-Busch and Jim Beam

beer and bourbon -- BAD MIX

me ( way back in the day ) was
Heineken and Dewar's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 20:13 GMT 

Quote:
Anheuser-Busch and Jim Beambeer and bourbon -- BAD MIX

me ( way back in the day ) was
Heineken and Dewar's

I used to be a Heineken man myself. Also "octoberfest". Brands too many to mention.

Now a days, because of this body's plumbing system, I usually drink bourbon. This was a special occasion tho.

Also, the bourbon ran out. I live in PA and you need an act of Congress to get liquor in this state after hours. So I got beer instead. :D

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 21:36 GMT 

NOW, I'M REALLY GETTING FREAKIN PO'D.
This new anti virus will not let Celestia run. I'm about to loose it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Correction: It warns that Celestia is a suspicious program. But these are the ones I built and are not in the Programs(x86) folder. I'm guessing that Celestia will run fine( the original one does, but only if it is in the Programs(x86) folder. The official version does not have this problem.
What a headache.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 21:53 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
NOW, I'M REALLY GETTING FREAKIN PO'D.
This new anti virus will not let Celestia run. I'm about to loose it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
cartrite

Steve,

this is actually a quite normal behaviour for many "good" anti-virus systems and can be taken care of easily. Since these days by far not all "evil action" shows up in form of easily identifiable virus code, most companies use also various indirect evidences about executables, including the criterion whether programs/files (and their check sums!) are well-known to the anti-virus engine or not.

A freshly built program is never well known, hence suspicious and often will be deleted by default.

But normally you can place single executables or whole directories where new code is developed into an exception list that is easily accessible via the configuration dialog. Depending on the vendor, there are a number of further measures that one can use to avoid unwanted program/file deletions.

In the past, I had such deletion problems for example with CYGWIN programs which appeared suspicious to my Norton anti virus suite. And of course without the described measures, Celestia or celestia.Sci would have been deleted, too.

Since these anti-virus engines HAVE to be complex these days, a careful study of the available configuration options is obviously unavoidable.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 22:26 GMT 

Thanks Fridger,
For now, I fixed the problem, I think. I had to step away. I also had to turn off a feature in the anti-virus program.

I'm gonna look into what you suggested and figure out what I really need to do.

This all started because I wanted to access a file. What a sidetrack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At this rate, I'll never get anything done.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 23:11 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
This all started because I wanted to access a file. What a sidetrack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At this rate, I'll never get anything done.

Get a Mac, and you'll NEVER run into problems like this ! OS X rocks ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 23:47 GMT 

Quote:
But normally you can place single executables or whole directories where new code is developed into an exception list that is easily accessible via the configuration dialog. Depending on the vendor, there are a number of further measures that one can use to avoid unwanted program/file deletions.

As I write this I got another offer to down grade my graphics driver :D .
The vendor I'm using will make me create an exception for every folder I build in. It seems that I can't define an exception for a parent folder.

But I discovered that I only have to go through the screening once. I can let the program execute and then I'll never have to be bothered again. I guess that's a good thing?

Quote:
Get a Mac, and you'll NEVER run into problems like this ! OS X rocks 8)
Maybe someday. I never used Mac but I think I read somewhere that it is a lot like Linux. I think that ISIS3 also has Mac builds.
Options are always open.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 23:55 GMT 

Mac's have viruses too
and it needs a scanner

Boy i do like SELinux :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also on win7 AVG has not caused problems with D:\\Celestia
the win 7 os is on one partition and built and extra programs are on a different partition ( along with the Downloads folder )

This library???? thing

I do dislike that drunken idea of theirs
------------

yes there is a osx isis3 build , but it is full of bugs

----------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 25-05-13, 23:58 GMT 

John Van Vliet wrote:
Mac's have viruses too
and it needs a scanner

Well, I don't even have a virus scanner on my Macs, and I NEVER saw a single Mac virus in my entire life !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 29-05-13, 15:07 GMT 

Me too Cham... no scanner, no virus in over 6 years of using my mac mini... it does not run Celestia very well however.