It is currently Sun, 16-12-18, 10:37 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 simple questions
PostPosted: Wed, 28-01-15, 13:30 GMT 

1) after the removal of sound in 1.5.1 I got away from Celestia, and even w/o the sound I'm back. I've noticed 2 Extra folders in Ver. 1.6.1, is there a reason for this.
2) is there a limitation to the size of a .cel file that Celestia can handle? Can a truly large file cause problems?

Post subject: Re: 2 simple questions
PostPosted: Wed, 28-01-15, 14:00 GMT 
Site Admin

Welcome at Celestial Matters (CM)!

Please note that CM is NOT a site dedicated to Celestia. There are however plenty of former Celestians around, who hopefully will be prepared to answer your 2 questions above...

In the on-going development of celestia.Sci we will implement even 3D positional sound (Qt 5.2.x lib!) that e.g. will be used to render in Stereo e.g. the "concert" of millisecond Pulsars, as located at known, spacially separated positions in the cores of globular clusters.

Fridger

PostPosted: Thu, 29-01-15, 19:43 GMT 

NoMan wrote:
1) after the removal of sound in 1.5.1 I got away from Celestia, and even w/o the sound I'm back. I've noticed 2 Extra folders in Ver. 1.6.1, is there a reason for this.
2) is there a limitation to the size of a .cel file that Celestia can handle? Can a truly large file cause problems?

The "extras-standard" folder contains add-ons delivered by default with Celestia, where the "extras" folder is empty by default and can be used by the end-user for his/her own add-ons or third party add-ons. See the section in the "celestia.cfg" file (in the celestia root folder) above the parameter
Code:
ExtrasDirectories  [ "extras-standard" "extras" ]
This parameter can also be used to specify even more extras folders.

I'm not aware there was sound (by default) in previous versions of Celestia, but there was/is sound available in the Celestia-ED versions (151/160/161).

Formally there is no stated limit for the size of a .cel file.
However, me myself recognized some problems with large .cel/.celx files in the past.
I made a thread about that issue on the "shatters" forum, but that forum is not online anymore :?
I remember BIG .cel/.celx files did lose control at a certain moment. Celestia was not following the instructions anymore from a certain point in the script.
I circumvented that by using smaller scripts and calling a following script file from within the first (main) script file. E.G.:
Code:
      filename = "scripts/Occult_EN_2014a/Occult_EN_2014a_Part1.celx"
      runscript = loadfile(filename)
      runscript()
      filename = "scripts/Occult_EN_2014a/Occult_EN_2014a_Part2.celx"
      runscript = loadfile(filename)
      runscript()

Last edited by marco klunder on Fri, 30-01-15, 8:30 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, 30-01-15, 0:35 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
In the on-going development of celestia.Sci we will implement even 3D positional sound (Qt 5.2.x lib!) that e.g. will be used to render in Stereo e.g. the "concert" of millisecond Pulsars, as located at known, spacially separated positions in the cores of globular clusters.

That's pretty cool. I haven't tried Qt 5 since 2013 since it was still unstable at the time.
Did you manage to get .Sci to compile and run recently with Qt 5.4? (the latest version)

PostPosted: Fri, 30-01-15, 9:16 GMT 
Site Admin

dirkpitt wrote:
t00fri wrote:

That's pretty cool. I haven't tried Qt 5 since 2013 since it was still unstable at the time.
Did you manage to get .Sci to compile and run recently with Qt 5.4? (the latest version)

In case you missed it, see also my older thread about "Pulsar Jazz" ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=619
and click on the actual sound in my first post therein (YouTube). The gag is of course that the sound emissions of millisecond pulsars are located in the audible frequency range! Moreover, plenty of actual positions of such pulsars are known. What is still needed is a good graphical representation, implementing all scientifically known features of such pulsars without being too "artistic"....

As to Qt 5.x.:
celestia.Sci compiles after minor changes with Qt 5.2.3. Hence 3D positional sound is already available!

I had no time yet to check out Qt 5.4, but this should not be a big deal.

I did not check your latest Microlensing code yet with Qt 5.x, since I am still stuck with the strong gravitational lensing code...

Fridger