It is currently Thu, 23-11-17, 14:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: New OpenSuse
PostPosted: Tue, 01-12-15, 13:38 GMT 

Anyone try openSuse 42.1 yet? It is supposed to migrate thru 42.3 and provide 36 months of service if starting at 42.1. I guess 13.2 is on it's way out.
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:42.1
cartrite

Post subject: Re: New OpenSuse
PostPosted: Tue, 01-12-15, 21:37 GMT 

It looks like 13.1 is on the way out. January 2016. The Evergreen version good till Nov. 2016. Apparently 13.2 is good till Jan. 2017. So I'm gonna try 42.1 and keep 13.2 for now. I'll probably install 42.1 on a different disk drive.
https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime#openSUSE_Leap_and_13.x
cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 5:26 GMT 

planning on keeping 13.2 for a bit

the mixing of SELD 12 and opensuse factory in 42.1 is a bit of a royal mess currently

a TON of bugs need working out

just have a look through the suse forum
https://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php

leep is a MESS right now

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 8:18 GMT 

13.2 has another year. Thanks to the gods. I'm gonna try 42.1 on another drive. Right now my laptop is kaput. It has no hard drive. That's right, 13.2 is on an external usb drive. If someone got a hold of my laptop, it would appear dead without the little usb drive. And I can do things with this external drive you would never imagine. I'm putting 42.1 on a different external usb drive. 2 TB hopefully. 13.2 is on a 1 TB drive.

I like to play. Eventually it will work. That's if I live long enough. This will be the next generation. For a few years anyhow. Got nothing better to do anyway. If it works, I may buy another computer and delete what ever version of windows is on it and install linux. F windows!!!! :D
cartrite.

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 15:08 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
It looks like 13.1 is on the way out. January 2016.

I definitely remember that openSuSE stated that 13.1 will have an extended support of 3 years or so.

Fridger

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 15:43 GMT 

Quote:
I definitely remember that openSuSE stated that 13.1 will have an extended support of 3 years or so.

Ah. If you see one of those posts above, I mentioned the Evergreen version is going to be maintained until Nov. 0f 2016. So at least 11 more months.

I think you said you have the Evergreen version. I cant see why there is a 13.1 version that will expire in Jan 2016. That is what was said on one of those pages I supplied a link for. In the same sentence, it also says that
Quote:
The following distributions are expected to receive updates until the specified date:

Quote:
openSuse 13.1 - EXPECTED January 2016 (2 months after release of Leap 42.1) (Note: Project Evergreen selected 13.1 for extended community maintenance, support end is currently November 2016 ).
?????????????????????????

Anyhow, I was able to download 42.1. I tried to write it to a usb stick and it wouldn't work. I tried several times and nothing. I ran sha256sum on it and noticed that the signitures were different so I trashed it. Maybe I'll try again someday. Just glad the
Quote:
openSuse 13.2 - EXPECTED First Quarter of 2017 (2 months after release of Leap 42.2)

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime#openSUSE_Leap_and_13.x

So I guess there is a difference between project Evergreen which is 13.1 and just regular 13.1. ???????????????????????????????

cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 15:51 GMT 
Site Admin

I just have the standard 13.1 version I guess. The Evergreen version used to be associated with an earlier one (OS 11 I think) but perhaps it is now moving along just indicating a longer maintaining period of particular versions by the community.

I don't know yet what I will do. Since I now exclusively develop celestia.Sci with Qt > 5.5, a SuSE upgrade would anyway be desirable. It's not a big deal anyway...except that I run 3 machines with 13.1 ;-)

Fridger

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 16:28 GMT 

I don't know what this means.

This started last week when I was at my Sisters for the Holiday. She upgraded to windows 10 and her dvd player / recorder stopped working. It doesn’t recognise the drive even though it is recognised in the bios. Nothing. Not even the (other hardware device with the little caution sign) . THE DEVISE MANGLER Yeah that's still part of windows. So I can't even install /update the driver.

I tried to use my 13.2 usb stick to try and install Suse on her machine to see if suse would work but noticed her bios did not have the capability to boot from the usb. My stick was corrupted when I put it in her machine. I re downloaded 13.2. I didn't really need it any more since it is installed and I can add packages through the on line repositories. Butt............. that's when I seen all this about 42.1.

I was exploring what could have gone wrong with my usb stick. What windows 10 could have done to it.

Anyhow..................

Due to my semi public wifi, I'm unable to get an internet connection to install 42.1 through a network. I can put in the credentials but it forces newbies to sign an agreement. Something the installation does not allow or capable of doing. I was able to use the network usb to boot but can't establish a network connection so I tried to download the 4.3 gb file. That doesn't boot. x/

Anyhow, these problems seem to be local to myself. I used wget to download 42.1 in several sessions. But it seemed to get corrupted. When I get a eth0 connection, I'll try to download it again. In one session.

Computers..................

When I started with these things we used punched cards to write programs. :shock: Assembler language COBOL Fortran Pascal. No internet Just hard wires. Then came modems Now.........
:wall:

I'm ready to just go out and live in the woods.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or get a boat and live at sea. :DD

cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 17:49 GMT 

the music /dvd/player/ripper might be Microsoft killing programs it dose not like
they have in 10 started to disable/uninstall software they "do not like"

that and uninstalling and breaking third party programs that do not ???"work" ??? on 10

MS also has had fun with the Frankenstein's monster they turned UFEI into called "SECURE BOOT!!!!"
this IS having it's INTENDED EFFECT

making installing a Linux OS hard ,and dual booting near impossible .

this really is not a "computer issue" but a mostly "Microsoft issue"

now public wi-fi ??????

the torrent for 42.1 is the normal distribution used for every linux distro
Code:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/iso/openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64.iso.torrent

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 20:15 GMT 

I was trying last week to give my sister a solution to a problem she encountered after upgrading to windows 10. I failed. So did my brother. Anyhow, I'm more concerned about the changes to linux. openSuse linx.
cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 03-12-15, 20:28 GMT 

As far as being public wifi???????????
My connection is not public. It's private. But there are other users. And there are rules. These rules are not compatible with a network installation. Sorry if I didn't make this understood.
cartrite

PostPosted: Sat, 05-12-15, 13:42 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
I don't know what this means.

This started last week when I was at my Sisters for the Holiday. She upgraded to windows 10 and her dvd player / recorder stopped working. It doesn’t recognise the drive even though it is recognised in the bios. Nothing. Not even the (other hardware device with the little caution sign) . THE DEVISE MANGLER Yeah that's still part of windows. So I can't even install /update the driver.

For most upgrades and for clean installs, Windows 10 officially does not support DVD playback for free. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... dvd-player

Alternatives are to use one of the free 3rd party DVD players like Kodi or a commercial one like PowerDVD. (assuming the driver works, of course)

Sorry, I can't help with your SUSE problems. I assume you've looked at https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

PostPosted: Sat, 05-12-15, 17:00 GMT 

Quote:
Windows 10 officially does not support DVD playback for free.

i had forgotten about that bit ,ms is extorting more cash

install VLC
there is a linux,apple and windows build
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

PostPosted: Sat, 05-12-15, 19:17 GMT 

My usb stick is fine. It has 13.2 on it. I have the original iso file on my hard drive. So I just burned it again. But before I did I tried downloading and burning the 42.1 iso. For some reason it wasn't bootable. It had a different sha256 signature so I gave up on it. Some other day. Got a year to try again.

About Windows 10, my sister got conned into upgrading and then her dvd drive didn't work. My advise to her was to get a usb drive and back up all of the data. Then restore the original factory settings which was windows 7 sp1. Haven't spoken to her yet so I'm not sure what she did if anything.

I'm not sure a VLC or other DVD player would do the trick. The hardware isn't recognized. According to Win 10, it does not exist. It is in the BIOS though and it is enabled. But not in the Device Manager.

cartrite

PostPosted: Sat, 05-12-15, 19:24 GMT 

Oh, wonderful. Not.

Maybe the manufacturer's web site has updated Win10 drivers. But that's just one of the many reasons for not upgrading to Win10 if you can avoid it.

In principle the Win10 upgrade does allow for reverting to the pre-upgrade OS, so long as the system disk had enough room to store the the backup it made.