It is currently Thu, 23-03-17, 8:17 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: VICAR
PostPosted: Wed, 10-02-16, 17:52 GMT 

Anyone ever use this software? Apparently it went open source late last year. It is comparable with ISIS3. It does some things better and some things not so better. I haven't been able to get it to build it yet. So I'm not sure. Here is a link to the open source site.

I got interested because of the European MEX HRSC camera. Some of the files are in VICAR format. They used to be all in VICAR format. I guess it is basically an ASCII format with an imbedded header. I came across a Python script the will convert VICAR files to PNG. It worked as long as the files had the same values for height and width and only with certain headers. The HRSC files didn't work at all. So I've been fixing it for the last couple of days and got it working.

Would like to get the software suite built though. They claim it is pretty powerful in photometric corrections and such. NASA has been using VICAR since the 1960's and it is supposed to be a major contributor to the up coming Mars flight in 2020.
cartrite

Post subject: Re: VICAR
PostPosted: Wed, 10-02-16, 19:51 GMT 

i noticed that last month on github

https://github.com/nasa/VICAR

but i have NOT yet looked at building it

PDF for building
https://github.com/nasa/VICAR/blob/mast ... ld_1.0.pdf

PostPosted: Wed, 10-02-16, 21:37 GMT 

Yeah, the second link you posted is actually a pdf file that comes with the source code. It looks simple. Trouble is it doesn't work. The documentation is limited beyond that. So I guess the only avenue is looking though the build scripts and try to decipher them. If that don't work, I guess contact is the next step.

So far I just been looking at using it. There may be a few programs that can do some things I can do with ISIS3 or something else. What I've been realizing though is that programs could be written to customize the image processing. So that could be worth the trouble. Not sure yet.
cartrite

PostPosted: Wed, 10-02-16, 22:48 GMT 

I feel like a dumb a$%. ;) . Reading the build doc word for word, I found a sentence that stated there were problems using a gcc compiler with a version greater then 4.8 which I have. It stated a simple fix. Place -nostdinc in the cpp call in one of the scripts. After that it took off. Read. :wall:

In my defence, that fix was in a section not meant for what I was doing. It was in the Linux-x86 section. I looked at that briefly. I was building the linux-x86-64 version. Oh well. At the end they say Check for errors in the logs. There are about 20,000 lines in just one of the logs to look at. It would be better if an error shut the build down. :shock: Oh well, a new toy to play with. :lol:
cartrite

PostPosted: Thu, 11-02-16, 2:40 GMT 

With vicar2png-modified I was looking at an old image I liked. Just a raw re4, gr4, bl4 of h0334. Crash and burn. ;) .

Attachment:
h0334_0001.rgb.54-3.jpg
h0334_0001.rgb.54-3.jpg [ 451.98 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]

I cropped a piece and exported it at jpg = 50% quality so full size. The nd4 file is 4 times bigger. And it comes with a dem. da4 or dt4. I want to get an idea of how to do color correction with these.
cartrite