It is currently Sun, 17-12-17, 6:18 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-01-08, 0:04 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
rthorvald wrote:
I also have realistic smoke for a takeoff plume. But it is extremely large (in polygon count), so i am going to try to produce smaller versions - it is smoke i developed for the volcano in Off on a Comet, but never used since it was too big. But today i know more... Perhaps. Here´s a shot of the smoke before i removed it from that add-on:

Seems pretty nice but hard to tell how it is done... Any wireframe?

What i did was to try to approach it like a hologram: i subdivided a cube a lot of times, and then used the crumple tool in Cheetah to mess it up. Then i mapped a whole transparent cloud texture to all the faces, facetted. It worked very well visually, but the initial 3ds file came to more than 5 megs, and i had to double that to put an inverted normal clone inside the original to smooth away some ugly transparency issues.

The wireframe looks terrible... Like a dense wire netting.

Well, that was several years ago, i am sure i can get a much better result now, with some experimenting. If i can get it down to a megabyte, it is worth it, it will just exist for a minute in Celestia.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-01-08, 13:24 GMT 

Well, all I can say is that you people here are definitely in a class by yourselves.
These screen shots and model anticipation pictures are starting to bother my sleeping
habits as we await the release of Runar's latest undertaking.

Please don't mis-understand me here. It is simply my opinion that the very
BEST of Celestia is showing up on Celestial Matters now.

Great stuff, and my extended appreciation to ALL of you guys. Keep at it, and don't get
frustrated as some do over time. Believe me, us "other" types really DO
appreciate your efforts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-01-08, 14:37 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
These screen shots and model anticipation pictures are starting to bother my sleeping habits as we await the release of Runar's latest undertaking.

Thank you for the kind words, Bob! But this is not just me... Both Chris and Andrea are contributing substantially... Without their efforts, this would not be the same by a long shot.

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-01-08, 16:37 GMT 

rthorvald wrote:

Thank you for the kind words, Bob! But this is not just me... Both Chris and Andrea are contributing substantially... Without their efforts, this would not be the same by a long shot.

- rthorvald

Oh yes, I DO understand this. Please re-read post. See my comment thanking
ALL OF YOU! :wink:

This stuff is simply amazing to a Brain-Dead old geezer like myself. :D

Thanks AGAIN, and don't let ME slow you down.
Hee, hee, cough, choke, aaargh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-01-08, 17:50 GMT 

rthorvald wrote:
Both Chris and Andrea are contributing substantially... Without their efforts, this would not be the same by a long shot. - rthorvald

Thank you very much for your kind words, Runar, but this makes me a little embarassed: to be honest, I've just made
the only little thing I'm able to do, i.e. the search for available documents and images in the Web, and writing a little text
about the Buran and it's only orbital flight (BTW, it's almost ready :D ).
The truly hard work has been done by you, Runar, with the precious help of Chris' experience for models optimization. :)
I've only added a little cent, nothing more, so thank you again for highlighting it.
It's been a pleasure to work with both of you, and I hope to go on this way in the future projects!
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 14-01-08, 20:29 GMT 
Site Admin

Now, separation of the Zenit boosters: it was almost impossible to do this and not having them crashing into each other, but i finally got it it working... (Click to enlarge)
In reality, they flew some distance in pairs before parachuting back to Earth, but this turned out not to be feasible for Celestia: any attempt causes at least one rocket to pass through the Buran/Energia en route - the XYZ variables are simply not exact enough to do it within such narrow limits on a trajectory that goes a good way around the planet.

... The second stage, Energia, was a much simpler job:

... Finally, back to the Zenits: they landed on Earth 12 minutes after launch - but where? I first tried to land them back in Kazakhstan, but the difference in speed between Stage 1 and 2 had to be insane to make that work. After much testing, i settled on trajectories that just took them back to the Soviet far east, which was the point furthest away from separation - making the velocities of the zenits match naturally the second stage, and still land within 12 minutes. Here it is (click):

The zenits each landed with two stages of parachutes and retrofire on the final leg... I am just showing the first stage here, but follows them all the way down:

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 14-01-08, 21:10 GMT 
Site Admin

:shock: Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 14-01-08, 22:39 GMT 

Holy historical Russian spaceflight batman!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 15-01-08, 0:22 GMT 

Very very nice Runar, well done! :wink:
Appreciated!
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 15-01-08, 1:00 GMT 

rthorvald wrote:
Now, separation of the Zenit boosters: it was almost impossible to do this and not having them crashing into each other, but i finally got it it working... (Click to enlarge)
In reality, they flew some distance in pairs before parachuting back to Earth, but this turned out not to be feasible for Celestia: any attempt causes at least one rocket to pass through the Buran/Energia en route - the XYZ variables are simply not exact enough to do it within such narrow limits on a trajectory that goes a good way around the planet.

Runar, this looks amazing!

If you're ok with the add-on working with 1.5.0 only, there's a way to get more exact XYZ values. In 1.5.0pre5, we added SampledTrajectory, which works very much like SampledOrbit except that you can specify double precision. In fact, double precision is the default, and thus all you need to do to is replace this:

SampledOrbit "file.xyz"

with:

SampledTrajectory { Source "file.xyz" }

There are more details here, though they're probably not essential for your purposes:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/T ... Trajectory

SampledTrajectory and double precision xyz files were added for cases very much like yours. The folks at CNES were attempting to position spacecraft components close to each other and were not able to prevent gaps and collisions between the pieces with only single precision.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 15-01-08, 1:03 GMT 
Site Admin

chris wrote:
In fact, double precision is the default, and thus all you need to do to is replace this:
SampledOrbit "file.xyz"
with:
SampledTrajectory { Source "file.xyz" }

Chris,
This is great information. I will look into it right away. Many thanks!

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-01-08, 0:31 GMT 
Site Admin

Andrea has dug up better data on the Zenit trajectories, so these will get a workover, and are returning to Kazakhstan. Together with the double-precision function Chris pointed out to me, we are one more step closer to reality!

Meanwhile, i have designed realistic textures for Buran; i am going for realism, not the more technical representations most modelers prefer - as i am recreating the entire mission in detail, i want it to look real too.

So, here is Buran in its new clothes (click for full size):

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-01-08, 19:13 GMT 

Hey Runar! my bathroom need tiling...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-01-08, 19:22 GMT 
Site Admin

bh wrote:
my bathroom need tiling...

Well, as you see, i now have the experience...

- rthorvald :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 21-01-08, 20:06 GMT 
Site Admin

I have created a much reduced smoke model - from almost 6 mb to 400 kb. That is a lot, but not really enough to have this work on lower-end machines; it is a jumbled sphere with a transparent map, rotating quickly and duplicated hundreds of times in different sizes and lifetimes. It works pretty well, but close up one can certainly see the polygons - that is the price for the moderate resolution.

However, it is much better than nothing. I have created a plume more than two kilometers long in this way, and an extensive animated cloud around the launch. It is shorter, both in time and in volume, than the real thing, to limit impact on memory. Good for screenshots, though...: (click for full size):

(Exhaust flames not added yet).

... I am unsure how much of this will go in the final - it is memory-intensive stuff.

- rthorvald

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next