It is currently Fri, 22-06-18, 5:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3D Mars - Chandor Chasma
PostPosted: Thu, 10-07-08, 6:19 GMT 

Hello dear Celestia Members

I just uploaded an accurate MOLA-based 3D modell of an area of Valles Marineris (being processed at that time, I think). Here is a screenshot :

For the Geoid calculation I brutally applied a simple sphere (brutal approximation!). I also decreased Mars diameter (-9km) to correctly place and show the modell. All is automatically set by the ".ssc" file. And the little area on the right is an even-more detailed 3D part included and placed in the bigger 3D model.

If it is appreciated I can make further areas... just give me comments ! 8)

Last edited by Boxie on Thu, 10-07-08, 15:13 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 10-07-08, 6:52 GMT 

Looks very nice Boxie... is it available for others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 10-07-08, 15:05 GMT 

Thx ! and you should fly "inside" the terrain and play with sunlight...

previously wrote:
(...)

update: Celestia Motherlode : http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... on_id=1219

Last edited by Boxie on Sat, 02-08-08, 2:06 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 10-07-08, 20:32 GMT 
Site Admin

Boxie,

I tried your 3d Mars add-on. I am afraid it is not yet very good.

While --seen from above-- it fits my 32k Mars texture pretty well (apart from color ;-) )

it is sliding above ground with some sky in-between ...

Like so:

The reason is due to the various unjustified approximations you did wrto the Mars shape/size. Note my textures are directly generated from raw data using ISIS3!

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 10-07-08, 22:02 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
The reason is due to the various unjustified approximations you did wrto the Mars shape/size. Note my textures are directly generated from raw data using ISIS3!

Thank you for having a look :) but no, please don't say that ! The approximations are not concerned and the sky should be unchanged. I explain :

Either you put a bigger 3D terrain (still with a decreased Mars radius like here) or you get the "low altitudes" hidden due to the Celestia simplified spherical shape that cuts the modell at altitude 0 !!

1) The altitude range of this area is [-5.354km;5.419km] wrt the "0" reference. Altitude 0 = Mars radius (3'396km in solarsys.ssc). In order to see low altitudes in the 3D you need to decrease the average Mars radius : I decreased it by -9km and also increased the Atmosphere Height by +9 km to 39km to keep the right rendering with the sky!.

2) The only approximation has been to take a spherical geoid (same brutal approximation like Celestia itself by using a single "radius"). For instance, on the Earth the Geoid is nothing but spherical...

3) it is "sliding" because only 1 sample of 3D is placed here (as said : I can make the rest of areas...) ! If you put all the 3D terrains at the right altitude there is not any sliding anymore ;)

but you're right with the colors, they must be improved... harmonized. the 3D is correct and correctly placed (calculation notes given in the .ssc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-07-08, 18:58 GMT 

Boxie,
This sounds like you used a similar method that I used long ago that I stopped doing it because it was too burdensome "Grand Canyon of Mars". It "still is" at the Celestia Motherlode.
My latest models of Mars were part of an entire sphere and except for some holes around the edges they are all part of the Mars planet. The model parts that are below the surface radius of 3396 are not hidden because, like Mars, the radius of the model varies accordingly.
They can be seen here.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-07-08, 19:39 GMT 
Site Admin

He he cartrite,

welcome back!! Were have you been? Just offline? Your 3dMars page is actually very nice.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-07-08, 19:53 GMT 

Thanks Fridger,
Actually, I was offline for about a week and a half. Just moved to a new place. And I also just got back online today. Before that I was just quietly monitoring everything.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-07-08, 21:18 GMT 

I should point out here that this add-on has been approved for use on the Motherlode, and that it will be available if Ulrich ever gets back from wherever he is at right now. I believe that he is working on the Phoenix Mission, so there is no telling when he may return.

Also, *I* have absolutely no power to add items to the ML's index, so this will just have to wait for Ulrich's return.

Just FYI... :wink:

By the way, I also have Steve's Mars pages listed in my own favorite bookmarks, so I am familiar with these also. Welcome back my friend. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 20-07-08, 12:42 GMT 

Yes, Cartrite, I noticed your method and I tested your add-ons. Nice work indeed and also bravo for your Models Page that I did not know. You are right about the "Grand Canyon" teasing... at least this work is only my first step.

My interest has been to learn how to do it by myself (especially the Geoid) in order to teach it (web-forum about Mars in free-software-only). I want a "point of view" approach, i.e. being able to include detailed and smaller 3D terrains (and spacecrafts) into larger ones and take views from the ground to the sky and landscape! Thus Celestia is the engine for the whole environment ;)

Next steps (I hope) :
- harmonize the colors
- combine 3D models and CTX textures
- cover the whole Mars surface
- detail some zones of geological interest and reproduce spacecrafts missions above and on the surface (xyz for MER, Exomars, MSR...)
Let's dream :!: I will post here accordingly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 22-07-08, 17:21 GMT 

Okay, Boxie's add-on is now available on the ML at the following link:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... on_id=1219
If you have any changes you need to make to it, Boxie, please just send me a PM.

Thanks, Bob