It is currently Mon, 23-10-17, 0:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 7:19 GMT 
Site Admin

Hey I didn't knew normal maps could be applied on models! That's very interesting... How is define this point? in the ssc? in the model?

From the shots it is now clear that it's the one from Nasa but with a huge work behind. Why Jestr never released it? it is not finished yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 7:25 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
...Personally, I'm not interested in a foild version, since Jestr's is showing all interesting parts and instruments.

What would be nice with this kind of addon would be to have a little Lua script to display a small button on screen to display or not the foil (using the layer technique)... That would be really excellent... :o

With such a model out there I'm not sure I'll go for a rebuild of the Nasa stuff... We need to know why Jestr keep this model. Cham, could you give me his mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 13:47 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
What would be nice with this kind of addon would be to have a little Lua script to display a small button on screen to display or not the foil (using the layer technique)... That would be really excellent... :o

This is easy.

ElChristou wrote:
We need to know why Jestr keep this model. Cham, could you give me his mail?

Jestr leaved the community (for unknown reasons) about at the same time he finished his model (the version I'm using right now). The only details which weren't finished were the textures used (Jestr was using some very large textures). I suggested to him to reduce the textures (which I have done), but never heard from him after that (except in some very rare circumstances). I miss Jestr alot :( We made lots of addons together, in the "old times" of Celestia.

About the normalmaps on a model, I don't know how to do it. Apparently, my modeler doesn't support normal maps (well, certainly not in a Celestia friendly way).

The nomal map must be declared in the cmod file. Not in the SSC.

Cassini CMOD file (binary format) is 39.2 MB ! (but it loads pretty fast in Celestia). And I confirm it came directly from the NASA site (with LOTS of hard work to assemble all the pieces together), so this is why it is extremely detailed and accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:12 GMT 
Site Admin

Got a mail from him, he will send me the model to do a release here or at ML; he never get the time to end the rebuild of the whole addon made with Runar it's why this model has never been released. Apparently he have also a higher res for huygens. Let's wait and see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:13 GMT 

Cham wrote:
Here are some more pictures of Jestr's version :

Hey Cham, you are right, Jestr's model is much better that the "official" one. :wink:
I never knew of this, anyhow, was it ever mentioned in a post/thread?
Thanks a lot for the images.
And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed. 8)
My opinion, obviously.
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:30 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
Got a mail from him, he will send me the model to do a release here or at ML; he never get the time to end the rebuild of the whole addon made with Runar it's why this model has never been released. Apparently he have also a higher res for huygens. Let's wait and see...

Nice! I look forward to it!

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:46 GMT 
Site Admin

Andrea wrote:
...And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed...

Yep, but I still believe a foiled version could be welcome. Then one of those scripts to toggle visibility and we can display or the the foil at will...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 18:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
About the normalmaps on a model, I don't know how to do it. Apparently, my modeler doesn't support normal maps (well, certainly not in a Celestia friendly way).

I've done a few tests and we can use normal maps quite easily.

- you map a texture on a model within Cheetha as always.
- you convert to cmod in text WITH the generate tangents option
- you open the cmod and change the texture file name by the normal map name.

It works for me! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 20:30 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:

What do you do, if you want the model to have a base texture AND a normal map ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 20:43 GMT 
Site Admin

Mmhh haven't tested yet but what if you simply add the normal map def in the cmod? it should work I think... (if the normal is mapped like the color. Same for a spec map...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 22:05 GMT 

Cham wrote:
ElChristou wrote:

What do you do, if you want the model to have a base texture AND a normal map ?

Instead of replacing the texture file name, add the line:

normalmap "imagefile.png"

You absolutely must have texture coordinates in order to generate tangents for a cmod file (which makes sense, otherwise Celestia has no idea how the normal map should be applied to the model.)

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 22:08 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
Andrea wrote:
...And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed...

Yep, but I still believe a foiled version could be welcome. Then one of those scripts to toggle visibility and we can display or the the foil at will...

I would like very much to see a foil covered version. In the Qt4 version, you can toggle the visibility of any object using the popup menu or the solar system browser. Since that UI won't be ready for 1.6.0, I could add toggle visibility options to the Windows and Mac UIs.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 0:07 GMT 
Site Admin

chris wrote:
...Since that UI won't be ready for 1.6.0, I could add toggle visibility options to the Windows and Mac UIs.

That would be great!
I'm waiting for Jestr model and will have to do some job to optimize it a bit more (I think in a 20 to 30% gain on the geometry), then I'll do the foil. I'm thinking in using a normal map on it to see if we can get a pseudo realistic rendering without using a color map... (only base color and spec)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 0:25 GMT 
Site Admin

I've just received Jerry's model; indeed it's a 667929 poly model in need of a good optimization. As Jerry work hard on this model I will respect each bit of geometry (even if some meshes could be lighter) and only remove the useless poly. It will be a long work... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 11:37 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
I've just received Jerry's model; indeed it's a 667929 poly model in need of a good optimization. As Jerry work hard on this model I will respect each bit of geometry (even if some meshes could be lighter) and only remove the useless poly. It will be a long work... :?

While you do this i´ll fix the Huygens trajectory (adding the landing).
I´d like to show the launch, too, but then we should perhaps have a model of the Titan IVB/Centaur...

I´ll take a closer look at that when i am done with the Vega Lander. I can also go through the graphics, so you can concentrate on the meshes, if you like.

- rthorvald

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next