It is currently Mon, 23-10-17, 0:43 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 7:19 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Hey I didn't knew normal maps could be applied on models! That's very interesting... How is define this point? in the ssc? in the model?

From the shots it is now clear that it's the one from Nasa but with a huge work behind. Why Jestr never released it? it is not finished yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 7:25 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Cham wrote:
...Personally, I'm not interested in a foild version, since Jestr's is showing all interesting parts and instruments.


What would be nice with this kind of addon would be to have a little Lua script to display a small button on screen to display or not the foil (using the layer technique)... That would be really excellent... :o

With such a model out there I'm not sure I'll go for a rebuild of the Nasa stuff... We need to know why Jestr keep this model. Cham, could you give me his mail?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 13:47 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun, 02-09-07, 20:19 GMT
Posts: 196
Location: Montreal
ElChristou wrote:
What would be nice with this kind of addon would be to have a little Lua script to display a small button on screen to display or not the foil (using the layer technique)... That would be really excellent... :o


This is easy.

ElChristou wrote:
We need to know why Jestr keep this model. Cham, could you give me his mail?


Jestr leaved the community (for unknown reasons) about at the same time he finished his model (the version I'm using right now). The only details which weren't finished were the textures used (Jestr was using some very large textures). I suggested to him to reduce the textures (which I have done), but never heard from him after that (except in some very rare circumstances). I miss Jestr alot :( We made lots of addons together, in the "old times" of Celestia.

About the normalmaps on a model, I don't know how to do it. Apparently, my modeler doesn't support normal maps (well, certainly not in a Celestia friendly way).

The nomal map must be declared in the cmod file. Not in the SSC.

Cassini CMOD file (binary format) is 39.2 MB ! (but it loads pretty fast in Celestia). And I confirm it came directly from the NASA site (with LOTS of hard work to assemble all the pieces together), so this is why it is extremely detailed and accurate.

_________________
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:12 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Got a mail from him, he will send me the model to do a release here or at ML; he never get the time to end the rebuild of the whole addon made with Runar it's why this model has never been released. Apparently he have also a higher res for huygens. Let's wait and see...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:13 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun, 02-09-07, 16:06 GMT
Posts: 346
Location: Rome, Italy
Cham wrote:
Here are some more pictures of Jestr's version :

Hey Cham, you are right, Jestr's model is much better that the "official" one. :wink:
I never knew of this, anyhow, was it ever mentioned in a post/thread?
Thanks a lot for the images.
And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed. 8)
My opinion, obviously.
Bye

Andrea :D

_________________
Andrea
WorldPoss Sn Team Member
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 3.6 GHz- 4 GB DDR2- DELL 2709W 1920x1200-WinXP 32 SP3- VISTA 64- ASUS P5K-E- 8800 GTX 768MB- SATA II 320-300 GB-IDE 1 TB- 169.21- Celestia1.4.1_patch3- 1.5.1-LUA Edu Tools


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:30 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 1605
Location: Norway
ElChristou wrote:
Got a mail from him, he will send me the model to do a release here or at ML; he never get the time to end the rebuild of the whole addon made with Runar it's why this model has never been released. Apparently he have also a higher res for huygens. Let's wait and see...


Nice! I look forward to it!

- rthorvald


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 14:46 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Andrea wrote:
...And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed...


Yep, but I still believe a foiled version could be welcome. Then one of those scripts to toggle visibility and we can display or the the foil at will...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 18:06 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Cham wrote:
About the normalmaps on a model, I don't know how to do it. Apparently, my modeler doesn't support normal maps (well, certainly not in a Celestia friendly way).


I've done a few tests and we can use normal maps quite easily.

- you map a texture on a model within Cheetha as always.
- you convert to cmod in text WITH the generate tangents option
- you open the cmod and change the texture file name by the normal map name.

It works for me! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 20:30 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun, 02-09-07, 20:19 GMT
Posts: 196
Location: Montreal
ElChristou wrote:
- you open the cmod and change the texture file name by the normal map name.

It works for me! :D


What do you do, if you want the model to have a base texture AND a normal map ?

_________________
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 20:43 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
Mmhh haven't tested yet but what if you simply add the normal map def in the cmod? it should work I think... (if the normal is mapped like the color. Same for a spec map...)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 22:05 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed, 05-09-07, 0:09 GMT
Posts: 57
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Cham wrote:
ElChristou wrote:
- you open the cmod and change the texture file name by the normal map name.

It works for me! :D


What do you do, if you want the model to have a base texture AND a normal map ?


Instead of replacing the texture file name, add the line:

normalmap "imagefile.png"

You absolutely must have texture coordinates in order to generate tangents for a cmod file (which makes sense, otherwise Celestia has no idea how the normal map should be applied to the model.)

--Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 21-08-08, 22:08 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed, 05-09-07, 0:09 GMT
Posts: 57
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
ElChristou wrote:
Andrea wrote:
...And, BTW, I agree with Christophe, I don't see the need of a more detailed model, this looks pretty and very detailed...


Yep, but I still believe a foiled version could be welcome. Then one of those scripts to toggle visibility and we can display or the the foil at will...


I would like very much to see a foil covered version. In the Qt4 version, you can toggle the visibility of any object using the popup menu or the solar system browser. Since that UI won't be ready for 1.6.0, I could add toggle visibility options to the Windows and Mac UIs.

--Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 0:07 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
chris wrote:
...Since that UI won't be ready for 1.6.0, I could add toggle visibility options to the Windows and Mac UIs.


That would be great!
I'm waiting for Jestr model and will have to do some job to optimize it a bit more (I think in a 20 to 30% gain on the geometry), then I'll do the foil. I'm thinking in using a normal map on it to see if we can get a pseudo realistic rendering without using a color map... (only base color and spec)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 0:25 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 30-08-07, 22:52 GMT
Posts: 2726
Location: France, South, not far from Montpellier
I've just received Jerry's model; indeed it's a 667929 poly model in need of a good optimization. As Jerry work hard on this model I will respect each bit of geometry (even if some meshes could be lighter) and only remove the useless poly. It will be a long work... :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 22-08-08, 11:37 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 1605
Location: Norway
ElChristou wrote:
I've just received Jerry's model; indeed it's a 667929 poly model in need of a good optimization. As Jerry work hard on this model I will respect each bit of geometry (even if some meshes could be lighter) and only remove the useless poly. It will be a long work... :?


While you do this i´ll fix the Huygens trajectory (adding the landing).
I´d like to show the launch, too, but then we should perhaps have a model of the Titan IVB/Centaur...

I´ll take a closer look at that when i am done with the Vega Lander. I can also go through the graphics, so you can concentrate on the meshes, if you like.

- rthorvald


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group