It is currently Thu, 19-07-18, 8:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 02-04-09, 14:19 GMT 

Just a thought here...

Methinks Andrea deserves some kind of Celestial Matters award for being
the absolute research authority when it comes to finding obscure (and very
detailed) materials which document these vehicles.

You have a talent far beyond most efforts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 02-04-09, 14:31 GMT 
Site Admin

That's clear, Andrea must have some kind of natural google gene or something... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 02-04-09, 17:51 GMT 

Damn... you caught me.
OK, I admit, my true name is not Andrea, but Androogle!
Hehehehe. :lol:
Thanks a lot to both of you, very appreciated. :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 02-04-09, 18:30 GMT 
Site Admin

Andrea wrote:
Damn... you caught me.
OK, I admit, my true name is not Andrea, but Androogle!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 03-04-09, 16:39 GMT 

Okay guys,

I have news for you! Good news!

I will be able to get at least real simulation data of the flight of the ATV. Perhaps even the data from the Jules Verne flight. The only problem at the moment is the lack of information (on my side) of a good data format for it and what they can provide.

So, what would be the best data format that we would possibly want? And where is it documented? (SPICE is probably not possible.)
And if we get other data (with enough information) would someone be able to generate a SPICE from it?

And also the question is, who would then create the mission as an addon, as I am damned sure no good addon creator.

Best regards,

Guckytos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 03-04-09, 22:43 GMT 

I suspect that xyzv format would be easier to generate and smaller than SPICE format. It may be something they can provide. SPICE files would be difficult to create and aren't necessary unless you want to use some of the commercial tools used by NASA and ESA.

Celestia's xyzv format is documented at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/T ... Trajectory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 04-04-09, 8:28 GMT 

Selden wrote:
I suspect that xyzv format would be easier to generate and smaller than SPICE format. It may be something they can provide. SPICE files would be difficult to create and aren't necessary unless you want to use some of the commercial tools used by NASA and ESA.

Celestia's xyzv format is documented at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/T ... Trajectory

Selden, you may be right about the size. But I thought that SPICE kernels also have rotations stored within them. The ATV makes in the approach some corrections about its orientation.
The first orbits it is orientated to get max. sunlight on the panels, then about 50 or more km out on approach it reorientates to aling the docking ports.

But we will see, what we can get on data and make it a real nice nice scenario.

Selden could you explain to me a bit more about the reference frame needed? Per PM perhaps. That was one question that was asked. Which reference frame the files would need.

Best regards,

Guckytos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 04-04-09, 16:22 GMT 

Celestia can use sampled orientation 'trajectory" files, but the object's orientation has to be specified using quaternions. They're documented at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/R ... rientation

Celestia can use many different reference frames.
They're documented at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/Reference_Frames

A reference frame relative to the Earth might be appropriate, e.g. equatorial, J2000, is the default.

I suspect that in order to make sure the ATV is shown docking properly while following its trajectory, compatible trajectory and orientation files will have to be used for the ISS, too.

A trajectory relative to the ISS could be used, too, but it might look a little strange in Celestia.

A separate issue is the orientation of the ISS. I don't know if the coordinate system used within the 3D model of the ISS that you're using for Celestia matches any official coordinate system used for the actual ISS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 04-04-09, 18:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Selden wrote:
...A separate issue is the orientation of the ISS. I don't know if the coordinate system used within the 3D model of the ISS that you're using for Celestia matches any official coordinate system used for the actual ISS.

That may be a problem for models from several sources, but for the models I'm doing I'll try to keep them all in the same system...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 04-04-09, 19:39 GMT 

I was thinking about the rotations specified for the ISS for docking the ATV. If the axes within the model don't match the trajectory's rotational coordinate system, it'll turn in unexpected directions. But that doesn't need to be worried about until the trajectories are available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 11-04-09, 14:24 GMT 
Site Admin

Here the the actual state of the ATV; once more I'm a bit stuck with the detail you can see in the shots following the model.

Any better shot or info on this system (I guess kind of target) is welcome.

Guckytos, would be cool to point your contact to have a look at this thread, perhaps they may help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 11-04-09, 15:18 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
Here the the actual state of the ATV; once more I'm a bit stuck with the detail you can see in the shots following the model.

Guckytos, would be cool to point your contact to have a look at this thread, perhaps they may help?

I will try, but at the moment it is easter holidays for most people, so I don't think anything will happen before the end of next week.

I think I saw some photos (or was it a video) of these targets. And yes, they are targets, that show you if the ATV is still on its correct course. In which case the cross is centered in a lighted circle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 11-04-09, 17:30 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:

Christophe, this drawing may be of some help?
I found it here:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/atv_pfb_013108.html
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 11-04-09, 17:35 GMT 
Site Admin

Andrea wrote:
...Christophe, this drawing may be of some help?...

Yep, I think I will be fine with this one. Many Tx.
Now I'll do the texturing then ATV will be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 11-04-09, 18:28 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
Andrea wrote:
...Christophe, this drawing may be of some help?...

Yep, I think I will be fine with this one. Many Tx.
Now I'll do the texturing then ATV will be done.

You are welcome, Chris, happy you can use it. :wink:
Bye.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next