http://forum.celestialmatters.org/

ISS Model - Aborted
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=290
Page 1 of 10

Author:  ElChristou [ Thu, 15-01-09, 19:49 GMT ]
Post subject:  ISS Model - Aborted

*******************************************************************************

As I had to quit the Celestia community this work is now discontinued.


*******************************************************************************



Hello folks,

As promise, here the first neat shots of the incoming ISS model. At least my old payload opened shuttle find a reason to exist! :)
The model despite being heavily optimized is growing dangerously for medium configs. My main concern was to display it with some descent Earth map below (up to 16k), but apparently we will have to wait a few more years to have the necessary resources on our desks...
Almost no color maps on the model, I choose to go for normal maps to add the realism of the different modules; the result is pretty cool I think... (see pict below)
Soon I'll will make a test model available on demand to get feedback on FPS and see if some config don't support normalmaps on models. To tell the truth, the shuttle is too heavy and would need to be rebuild... Also my soyuz is a bit too detailed in relation the the whole model.

Quite some bits are still missing, but I have to work on everything little by little to test the model; I'm still unsure on how to make the final release, one global model or several, we will see...

Now, picts!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Note: As I'm still busy with real life stuff, I had to put on hold Jestr's Cassini model; I've been able to reduce the poly count from 600k to 400k but still I find it too heavy. I need to rework some meshes so... patience...
The Apollo mission is also on hold, but promise, after ISS I go back to it for a final release...

Author:  t00fri [ Thu, 15-01-09, 19:53 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Wow!!!

this excites even a convinced "non-modeller" like me!


Fridger ;-)

Author:  rthorvald [ Thu, 15-01-09, 22:11 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: ISS Model

ElChristou wrote:
Soon I'll will make a test model available on demand to get feedback on FPS


Trust me, the demand is here! This looks fabolous, Chris.
As for your release scheme, you remember my note to you a few months ago? We have most of the models already... Only the Proton is missing, and i am working on that in connection to the Vega launch. I mean all the models needed to script the entire construction history of the ISS from the first to the last module... Including all the flights.

If you are interested, let´s discuss it when you have time - the release scheme would then make itself ;-)

But anyhow, once again, the work looks absolutely fantastic. If at all possible, i wish for a minimum ( poly-reduced perhaps) config for the default Celestia distribution...

- rthorvald

Author:  bh [ Thu, 15-01-09, 22:27 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Whoa... love the second to last image showing the two Soyuz above the shuttle... cabin lights would really set that one up!

I'd love a current config with the shuttle docked and on it's own.

I especially like the Canadarm detail... as I said someplace else.

Author:  ElChristou [ Sat, 17-01-09, 10:40 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: ISS Model

rthorvald wrote:
...As for your release scheme, you remember my note to you a few months ago? We have most of the models already... Only the Proton is missing, and i am working on that in connection to the Vega launch. I mean all the models needed to script the entire construction history of the ISS from the first to the last module... Including all the flights.

If you are interested, let´s discuss it when you have time - the release scheme would then make itself ;-)


Of course I remember but it's still too early to talk about this; my priority now is to test out the stuff on a few config to have a better idea of what can be done or note. For this I have to prepare a doc with a few test to do for the people who will ask for the test model...

rthorvald wrote:
...If at all possible, i wish for a minimum ( poly-reduced perhaps) config for the default Celestia distribution...


If the dev team ask, I can try but all will depend on the size limit they ask for... :?

Author:  ElChristou [ Sat, 17-01-09, 10:43 GMT ]
Post subject: 

bh wrote:
Whoa... love the second to last image showing the two Soyuz above the shuttle... cabin lights would really set that one up!


Unfortunately, using the version with flight deck would be really prejudicable to the FPS... Perhaps a very low res fight deck?

Author:  BobHegwood [ Sat, 17-01-09, 12:35 GMT ]
Post subject: 

t00fri wrote:
Wow!!!

this excites even a convinced "non-modeller" like me!


Say what?
I thought that you didn't have time to "play with models."

Sorry Doc... Couldn't resist. :lol:

Author:  rthorvald [ Sat, 17-01-09, 14:56 GMT ]
Post subject: 

ElChristou wrote:
Unfortunately, using the version with flight deck would be really prejudicable to the FPS... Perhaps a very low res fight deck?


I would be happy with a low res interior... All i think is really useful is what one can see through the windows, and that does not need much detail...

- rthorvald

Author:  bh [ Sat, 17-01-09, 15:05 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Oh I forgot to say... bloody fine modelling there!

Author:  t00fri [ Sat, 17-01-09, 15:33 GMT ]
Post subject: 

BobHegwood wrote:
t00fri wrote:
Wow!!!

this excites even a convinced "non-modeller" like me!


Say what?
I thought that you didn't have time to "play with models."

Sorry Doc... Couldn't resist. :lol:



Bob,

as I made clear in my post, I am a "non-modeller" and indeed I never played with that ISS model. Yet I am deeply impressed by the amount of amazing detail to be seen in the images Christophe has shown above.

Anything said incorrectly before??

Fridger

Author:  ElChristou [ Sat, 17-01-09, 17:26 GMT ]
Post subject: 

rthorvald wrote:
ElChristou wrote:
Unfortunately, using the version with flight deck would be really prejudicable to the FPS... Perhaps a very low res fight deck?


I would be happy with a low res interior... All i think is really useful is what one can see through the windows, and that does not need much detail...

- rthorvald


The problem is that why the interior of the shuttle (even low res) and not the interiors of the many modules? Most of them do have windows... :|

Remember our discussion at shatters with the user Maxim (if I remember well) about decimation and ways to load complex model in Celestia? That's the real point with such model. To have it right, it deserve the interiors but right now it's simply not realistic from the FPS point of view... :x

Author:  bh [ Sat, 17-01-09, 17:54 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Yes... I'm afraid that if a model slows my fps I end up ditching the model.

Author:  ElChristou [ Sat, 17-01-09, 18:04 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Guys, I have a test model; PM me if you want it but I'll ask you to do a few test and send me back the message I'll send you with the download link. The tests are simple, then fill the message with the FPS of your config. Add please what kind of config you have.

Author:  BobHegwood [ Sat, 17-01-09, 19:18 GMT ]
Post subject: 

t00fri wrote:
as I made clear in my post, I am a "non-modeller" and indeed I never played with that ISS model. Yet I am deeply impressed by the amount of amazing detail to be seen in the images Christophe has shown above.

Anything said incorrectly before??


You know, you really need to go purchase a sense of humor.
I was just razzing you. :lol:

I understood perfectly what you were saying. Lighten up Doctor...

I can only add my approval to what is being said concerning ElChristou's
masterful work here, but then I'm am always in awe of his works.

Author:  t00fri [ Sat, 17-01-09, 20:26 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Bob,

I am all "lightened" up despite our dark winter environment over here, but I figured that possibly you had misunderstood something I wrote...As we know that tends to happen with me ;-)

Fridger

Page 1 of 10 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/