It is currently Fri, 17-08-18, 17:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-14, 2:28 GMT 

A new model ; very nice from the exterior, but so so from the interior :wall:
Attachment:
dark1.jpg
dark1.jpg [ 93.53 KiB | Viewed 2140 times ]

Attachment:
dark2.jpg
dark2.jpg [ 106.45 KiB | Viewed 2140 times ]

PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-14, 6:22 GMT 

Thank you very much, Cham! It turns shatters.net forum all this time working on IP address, but I was not aware of :(
I have build Celestia 1.7.0 Qt4, your irregular nebulae models are displayed correctly on it?
Also I would like to learn more about your build on MacOS:
1. It has an installer?
2. It has localize?
3. Could you write a list of differences from the last existing version Celestia on MacOS?
With your permission, I would like to publish your build on my site that the Russian-speaking users to use it.

PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-14, 16:26 GMT 

Alexell wrote:
I have build Celestia 1.7.0 Qt4, your irregular nebulae models are displayed correctly on it?
Also I would like to learn more about your build on MacOS:
1. It has an installer?
2. It has localize?
3. Could you write a list of differences from the last existing version Celestia on MacOS?
With your permission, I would like to publish your build on my site that the Russian-speaking users to use it.

I don't know if my models should render correctly on your version, since I can't tell if the nebulae fix was enabled for your built. I suspect it wasn't enabled.
If it's an OS X version, you can send it to me so I could test it.

My OS X version isn't Qt.
1. It doesn't have an installer. It's just the application alone (the ressources are the same as for 1.6.1). I really HATE installers ! :evil:
2. It's localized, yes of course (I believe russian language is in there).
3. The list of differences from Celestia 1.6.1 OS X is pretty large. Mostly 64bit version (which makes a HUGE difference if you have more than 4GB of memory),
new orbit rendering, and many bug fixes (especially that pesky sprites model bug, the annoying OS X window crashing, the crashing bug in low memory conditions, and many smaller bugs).
Some annoying URL related bugs (favorite menu) also have been fixed.
I don't remember the whole list of bugs fixed. Dirkpitt (Da Woon) and myself worked very hard on this version to fix all the bugs. There are only two or three very minor bugs remaining.

This version is extremely stable on my two computers (Mac mini 2009 and MacBookPro 2010, with OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) : it never crashed, not even once ! I did made everything to crash it, loading ALL my models and textures, etc*. On the other hand, Celestia 1.6.1 is very easy to crash.

This is well worth an upgrade from 1.6.1, which is now totally obsolete to me. It's not even funny ! :°

* Note however that there's a bug in Mountain Lion's graphics drivers : all versions of Celestia are crashing on Intel's GPU (newest Mac mini and MacBookPro) when some dds textures are used. I don't know about OS X 10.9 Mavericks since I never tested it. Intel's GPU suck, for Celestia ! :evil:

Last edited by Cham on Tue, 28-01-14, 16:56 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-14, 16:55 GMT 

"Oh my God, it's full of stars !"

Somewhere in M31 :
Attachment:
M31a.jpg
M31a.jpg [ 171.05 KiB | Viewed 2126 times ]

Attachment:
M31b.jpg
M31b.jpg [ 256.63 KiB | Viewed 2126 times ]

A view from inside :
Attachment:
M31c.jpg
M31c.jpg [ 228.8 KiB | Viewed 2126 times ]

Moving in Celestia's universe has never been so fun ! I populated 6 spiral galaxies with several dozens of nebulae and hundreds thousands of stars. Many exo-planets too, for a very nice view from inside M31, M33, NGC 300, NGC 404 and M81 (not counting the Milky Way). M81 has even a few dozens of pulsars with nice supernova remanants. :DD

PostPosted: Tue, 28-01-14, 17:43 GMT 

I've added some details to the previous model :
Attachment:
mix1.jpg
mix1.jpg [ 126.72 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]

Here's a view from the inside (left panel), and a comparison with another model, just for the show. I can't stop finding some very nice views, I'll have to stop or I wont sleep tonight ! :oops:
Attachment:
mix2.jpg
mix2.jpg [ 216.18 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]

PostPosted: Wed, 29-01-14, 6:05 GMT 

Cham wrote:
I don't know if my models should render correctly on your version, since I can't tell if the nebulae fix was enabled for your built. I suspect it wasn't enabled.

I have version 1.7.0 Qt4 for Windows from source code, located in the trunk directory.
Cham wrote:
My OS X version isn't Qt.
1. It doesn't have an installer. It's just the application alone (the ressources are the same as for 1.6.1). I really HATE installers ! :evil:
2. It's localized, yes of course (I believe russian language is in there).
3. The list of differences from Celestia 1.6.1 OS X is pretty large.
This version is extremely stable on my two computers (Mac mini 2009 and MacBookPro 2010, with OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) : it never crashed, not even once ! I did made everything to crash it, loading ALL my models and textures, etc*. On the other hand, Celestia 1.6.1 is very easy to crash.

It is very good!
Could you please send me the application in the PM?
Would also ask that you send at least one irregular nebulae model, so I could test it for Celestia 1.7.0 Qt4

PostPosted: Wed, 29-01-14, 9:55 GMT 
Site Admin

Alexell wrote:

I am afraid this will be too big for a PM. Please note also that CelestialMatters is NOT a site devoted to extensive discussions about specific aspects of Celestia... All work that has a more general scope (like e.g. Cham's or John's,...) is of course most welcome!

Fridger

PostPosted: Wed, 29-01-14, 14:40 GMT 

Alexell wrote:

I'll put a zipped copy of my OS X version on my server, and give a download link to it. I'll do it when I'll have some time. Be patient.

PostPosted: Thu, 30-01-14, 5:24 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Please note also that CelestialMatters is NOT a site devoted to extensive discussions about specific aspects of Celestia...

Okay, I get it.

Cham wrote:
I'll put a zipped copy of my OS X version on my server, and give a download link to it. I'll do it when I'll have some time. Be patient.

Thank you very much, of course I'll wait))

PostPosted: Sat, 01-02-14, 19:53 GMT 

A supernova remnant meets an irregular nebula :

Attachment:
SRNeb.jpg
SRNeb.jpg [ 117.71 KiB | Viewed 2061 times ]

Celestia impresses me. I placed more than 40 large irregular nebulae in the whole local group of galaxies (plus M81), as much supernova models (all DSC objects), and several hundreds thousands of stars in 5 large galaxies, and yet the frame rate is still VERY good on my old Mac mini 2009 with its 4GB of ram. Of course, performances are even much better on my MacBookPro 2010 (8GB ram).

Traveling in this universe filled with stars and nebulae is really amazing, especially with a CELX script to move from one object to another.

PostPosted: Sun, 02-02-14, 2:01 GMT 

I think this is interesting, ... for fictious irregular nebulae models and their stellar distributions :

Here's the LUA Hertzsprung-Russell diagram for the stellar distribution associated to four irregular nebulae.

Some nebula in M31 :
Attachment:
M31A.jpg
M31A.jpg [ 131.47 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

Another nebula in M31 :
Attachment:
M31C.jpg
M31C.jpg [ 150.95 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

Some nebula in NGC 300 :
Attachment:
NGC300C.jpg
NGC300C.jpg [ 163.03 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

These diagrams are consistent with hot young blue stars and a few big stars that are already in the red giant phase, typical of real star nursery.
The big square near the middle is our Sun, for reference.

A nebula located on the "unknown other side" of the Milky Way :
Attachment:
MWNebA.jpg
MWNebA.jpg [ 155.87 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

This is typical of a cluster of old stars. Not a star nursery anymore.

These diagrams are surprising to me, since I didn't designed the stellar distributions with any specific age for the stellar distribution.
I was expecting some random distributions of stars on the HR plot.

Any comments on this ?

PostPosted: Sun, 02-02-14, 8:29 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
Any comments on this ?
Nothing clever from me... :rool:
Now these 4 above remind me furiously some drawings of SF artists in the 70' and 80' when airbrush was the most innovating technique... :o
Nice job!

PostPosted: Sun, 02-02-14, 14:07 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
remind me furiously some drawings of SF artists in the 70' and 80'

Aaah! Chriss Foss, Angus Mckie, Peter Elson, Ralph McQuarrie..., :D :

http://www.chrisfossart.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMYV6e1 ... A0D3BD9997

PostPosted: Sun, 02-02-14, 15:50 GMT 
Site Admin

;)

PostPosted: Tue, 04-02-14, 16:07 GMT 

There's a very impressive video on 3D nebulae simulation there :

http://vimeo.com/39822385

It's not really realistic, but still very beautifull.

Sadly, this can't be rendered in real time. It was pre-rendered with several special effect filters :
http://matthiasm.de/images/last_scene_tswli.jpg

This is an inspiration for my next generation of models. I'll restart everything from scratch, trying to find other ways to generate sprites distributions with Mathematica.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next