It is currently Fri, 23-06-17, 17:11 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon, 10-02-14, 18:07 GMT 

These picts are pretty nice. Could you show us what it look like, as seen from the interior ?

PostPosted: Mon, 10-02-14, 19:19 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
These picts are pretty nice. Could you show us what it look like, as seen from the interior ?

Like all other celestia.Sci or Celestia galaxies, the irregular (DLA based) galaxies are not (yet?) designed for inside views. Going inside would require huge DLA calculations that can hardly be justified for average computers. One main reason is the lacking scientific information! What can be safely viewed from inside in celestia.Sci are globular clusters, since all stars are generated in strict agreement with known corresponding luminosity functions and HR diagrams. Missing observational data were substituted by sophisticated synthetic data from the well-known online BaSTI engine and Stellar Evolution Database, where I am a registered user. BaSTI offers extensive and realistic custom calculations of stellar evolution, as needed for an ambitious visualization of globular clusters.

http://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/research_stellar_evolution
http://albione.oa-teramo.inaf.it/

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-02-14, 20:05 GMT 
Site Admin

Here is a true 3D plot of the generated DLA points with Maple. The x,y,z axes are constraint to the same scale, hence you see the true shape of the aggregation.

[click on image by all means]
Attachment:
dla_3dplot.jpg
dla_3dplot.jpg [ 54.24 KiB | Viewed 1902 times ]

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 10-02-14, 20:13 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Here is a true 3D plot of the generated DLA points with Maple. The x,y,z axes are constraint to the same scale, hence you see the true shape of the aggregation.

It's the same as what I get in Mathematica. The display isn't the same, but the results are very similar.

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 1:45 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Another superfast option exists in principle for NVIDIA graphics cards. One can use CUDA and perform the needed DLA algorithm in the GPU which accelerates the calculations by a huge factor...

Edit Hehe, fenerit, you were quoting the wrong person :nono: => I corrected it. Fridger :°

is there room, about CUDA power, to extend the procedural noise in real time while the observer move (or zoom in it) inside the cloud to increase the details (attractive DLA) of ridged filaments, or still it need much more powered GPU's? For a certain extension od course, since in real such gas should be more tiny of air...

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 9:45 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
t00fri wrote:
Another superfast option exists in principle for NVIDIA graphics cards. One can use CUDA and perform the needed DLA algorithm in the GPU which accelerates the calculations by a huge factor...

Edit Hehe, fenerit, you were quoting the wrong person :nono: => I corrected it. Fridger :°

is there room, about CUDA power, to extend the procedural noise in real time while the observer move (or zoom in it) inside the cloud to increase the details (attractive DLA) of ridged filaments, or still it need much more powered GPU's? For a certain extension od course, since in real such gas should be more tiny of air...

The amount of detail that on can achieve in a short time first of all depends on the NVIDIA card. My own experience with CUDA performance is that for the common i.e. cheaper cards the acceleration ranges between a factor of 2 and 10, say. High end cards, however, can produce quite amazing acceleration. However celestia.Sci is not only for the rich ...so we are seriously constraint here. Moreover, as I emphasized already, the main limitation is astrophysical, since serious close-up information is lacking.

On the other hand my DLA experiments on the C++ code level will certainly not be finished and thus can be expected to provide considerably improved results in the near future.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 13:21 GMT 

I apologize, maybe the page switch must have confused me. But... who I had quoted? Still I do not understood, since was clear for me to have to be quote you.

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 13:50 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
I apologize, maybe the page switch must have confused me. But... who I had quoted? Still I do not understood, since was clear for me to have to be quote you.

No need to apologize! :lol: It was Cham whom you quoted originally.

Fridger

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 14:33 GMT 

Here's a new model, from the DLA method, with some noise added. I think the result is excellent :
Attachment:
Neb1.jpg
Neb1.jpg [ 139 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]

Attachment:
Neb2.jpg
Neb2.jpg [ 161.18 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 14:51 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
Here's a new model, from the DLA method, with some noise added. I think the result is excellent :

The most convincing zones are the ones when blobs are enough big/diffuse to give a real gaseous impression by a visual merging of each of them. Just for the galaxy we have work on with Fridger these last weeks/months, ideally a few very big and diffuse blobs could help for the global volumetric feeling. The challenging part is I guess the distribution of a few crispy zones with higher density of small blobs to had some consistency to the whole structure...

So all in one, for still images, you are not that far from a perfect render! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 15:48 GMT 

Another DLA model with my custom home made noise. Rendering without stars :
Attachment:
DLA1.jpg
DLA1.jpg [ 154.87 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]

Attachment:
DLA2.jpg
DLA2.jpg [ 189.21 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]

Attachment:
DLA3.jpg
DLA3.jpg [ 256.26 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 17:22 GMT 

Another one, with a much higher resolution.

Original DLA model (the picture doesn't do justice to it. It's very nice in Celestia, but this is really a matter of taste) :
Attachment:
Remn1.jpg
Remn1.jpg [ 194.64 KiB | Viewed 1858 times ]

Here's the same model with noise added (More fluffy, larger and smaller sprites. The view has been rotated a bit) :
Attachment:
Remn2.jpg
Remn2.jpg [ 178.06 KiB | Viewed 1858 times ]

Now, I'm having some troubles : Choice problem ! :rool:
I'm accumulating tons of nice models on my desktop and I don't know anymore which one to use. I'm trying to rise the aesthetical constraints so I could trash the ugliest models, but it takes a LOT of time to visit each model in Celestia, move around and inside, and it's often difficult to decide.

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 18:27 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
I'm accumulating tons of nice models on my desktop and I don't know anymore which one to use. I'm trying to rise the aesthetical constraints so I could trash the ugliest models, but it takes a LOT of time to visit each model in Celestia, move around and inside, and it's often difficult to decide.
Trash them all and go for some new ones with more fluffy and large blobs! :°

PostPosted: Tue, 11-02-14, 19:27 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
Cham wrote:
Trash them all and go for some new ones with more fluffy and large blobs! :°

That would be too hard. Many of my older models are still very nice in Celestia, even if they are "cruder" or less "polished" than the more recent models.

I already trashed all the less beautiful models. The choice is really difficult now, and yet I can't keep all the models in the Celestia universe (that would be too much stuff for my Celestia installation).

The last models are defining my fourth generation of nebulae models. Each generation has its own merits and defects. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to have all the merits of the four generations in a single new generation, without their defects. Each generation is a different approach in irregular nebula modelisation.

In the case of my planetary nebulae (oblate spherical shells), all my old models are now obsolete and I'll have to rebuilt them all from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed, 12-02-14, 15:31 GMT 

Here's a very good example of what "3D noise" could do to a nebula model.

I modified an old model (made from my random walks method), adding a custom home made noise. The first view is the old original model, the second view is the same model with noise added. The sad side of the new version is a file considerably bigger on HD (from 700KB to 1.8MB), and a tiny impact on the frame rate in Celestia (of course, this is normal since the new version is of higher resolution). Also, the noise gives a "fractalized" style which looks good (natural feel), but could also be seen as "artificial" in some way. This is finally a matter of taste, I guess.

Global view (the small offset you may notice is normal, since there is more sprites and the model hasn't been "normalized") :
Attachment:
Fract1a.jpg
Fract1a.jpg [ 97.33 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract1b.jpg
Fract1b.jpg [ 113.41 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract2a.jpg
Fract2a.jpg [ 104.72 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract2b.jpg
Fract2b.jpg [ 123.53 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Some details (close-up view) :
Attachment:
Fract3a.jpg
Fract3a.jpg [ 129.44 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract3b.jpg
Fract3b.jpg [ 157.11 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Extreme close-up :
Attachment:
Fract4a.jpg
Fract4a.jpg [ 89.33 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract4b.jpg
Fract4b.jpg [ 111.41 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Internal view :
Attachment:
Fract5a.jpg
Fract5a.jpg [ 151.7 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Attachment:
Fract5b.jpg
Fract5b.jpg [ 176.38 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next