http://forum.celestialmatters.org/

New ways of rendering 3D Nebulae, Galaxies,...
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=463
Page 2 of 2

Author:  t00fri [ Fri, 22-03-13, 20:32 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Cham wrote:
Looks very nice. What's the view from the inside ?

Get "close and personal" !


I am working on this in a rather general scheme! These days, I may describe it in more detail...Of course, for Globulars it works already. One may even land on any globular star. See also my respective thread:

Imagine the Solar System was part of a Globular Cluster=>
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=422

Fridger

Author:  t00fri [ Mon, 25-03-13, 15:46 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Here is another interesting experiment as to spiral galaxy rendering:

The two M 74 images are from my present celestia.Sci rendering, yet the Sc-Hubble template size of the right-hand image is 256x256 in comparison to my traditional 128x128 Celestia default size on the left!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In order to compare the two images I strongly suggest to click on the image and then to go fullscreen with your browser!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Image

I like the right-hand picture much better. How about you!?
Yet, it's four times the number of points and the FPS drops to half. Still pretty fast though:

On my 2nd Generation i5 with Intel HD 3000 graphics (Sandy Bridge) the FPS is ~ 150 frames/sec for the 128x128 template and drops to 75 frames/sec for the 256x256 template.

Fridger

PS: Incidentally, the bright blue patches you can clearly see on the M 74 arms are starforming HII regions. Since I use the SDSS color profile for now in celestia.Sci, these are blue rather than pink as in visual colors...

Author:  Cham [ Mon, 25-03-13, 15:56 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Both rendering are nice. A resolution switch should be included in the GUI.

Author:  ElChristou [ Mon, 25-03-13, 22:18 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Reacting over the last rendering in page 1.

I think there is something to dig here. You are using the same template as the old rendering and it is not adapted anymore for such rendering. That's why you say it's look like concrete, your template lack of subtleties (too sharp in the contrast between background and structure). To me with a battery of test we should be able to achieve something pretty cool and probably way better than the actual. Now one problem, the white over-saturated zones; it's look like and additive process and I guess that more you go on the side view more accentuated it should be. If this can be solved, then there is something to dig, else no...

Author:  t00fri [ Mon, 25-03-13, 22:55 GMT ]
Post subject: 

ElChristou wrote:
Reacting over the last rendering in page 1.

I think there is something to dig here. You are using the same template as the old rendering and it is not adapted anymore for such rendering. That's why you say it's look like concrete, your template lack of subtleties (too sharp in the contrast between background and structure). To me with a battery of test we should be able to achieve something pretty cool and probably way better than the actual. Now one problem, the white over-saturated zones; it's look like and additive process and I guess that more you go on the side view more accentuated it should be. If this can be solved, then there is something to dig, else no...


Chris,

first of all, the templates for celestia.Sci are ALL new and the whole rendering approach is new...compared to Celestia 1.7.x. But it is true that the Sc template on the previous page ("looking like concrete") was NOT modified compared to the default celestia.Sci display. I do agree that for my previous high-density rendering experiment one should also have used a template with more "finesse". Sorry for that.

On the other hand, most home computers would probably run out of steem if I use high-density rendering together with -say- a new 256x256 template (that is needed if one wants to add more "finesse") . But you have always been very creative in this business ;-) so who knows what might come out of it ...

Cheers,
Fridger

Author:  t00fri [ Mon, 25-03-13, 22:56 GMT ]
Post subject: 

Cham wrote:
Both rendering are nice. A resolution switch should be included in the GUI.


Ah, template switching (and hence resolution switching) sounds like an interesting suggestion!

F.

Author:  ElChristou [ Tue, 26-03-13, 7:47 GMT ]
Post subject: 

t00fri wrote:
On the other hand, most home computers would probably run out of steem if I use high-density rendering together with -say- a new 256x256 template (that is needed if one wants to add more "finesse") . But you have always been very creative in this business ;-) so who knows what might come out of it ...


So it was a 256x256 template... Have you tested this rendering with the old 128x128 templates? For example with one like this (old SBa):

Image

I'll be curious to see the result with something similar... (I guess with tweaking until good result, which is time consuming, I know... :? )

Author:  ElChristou [ Tue, 26-03-13, 8:03 GMT ]
Post subject: 

t00fri wrote:
Here is another interesting experiment as to spiral galaxy rendering:... (128 vs 256 template)


My ideal is a mix of both to keep the fluffiness of the 128 in peripheral zones et punctual higher density/ more precise zones of the 256...

Could it be possible to do a double layer model? a 128 + a 256 but with few and punctual input in the 256 to not generate too much sprites and so use too much power?

Author:  Celestial Phineas [ Fri, 04-04-14, 15:32 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: New ways of rendering 3D Nebulae, Galaxies,...

Hope it's not too late to post a reply. I guess this is the best galaxy rendering I have ever seen. The previous one in early versions of Celestia looks much too "gasy", but the distant view is nice. In other simulation programs, it looks nearly solid. This time, fabulous.

Will we see it in .Sci? Or maybe... Dr. Schrempp will give us a patch?

Nice feature and a perfect rendering. :clap:

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/