It is currently Thu, 22-06-17, 20:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed, 12-03-14, 15:55 GMT 

A long time ago, I found a very nice model of the pods shown in Kubrick's 2001 movie.
Recently, I decided to convert it for Celestia, since the model is much more accurate than the old version that we can download from the Motherlode. Since I have the movie in DVD, I was able to compare the models to the real thing from the movie.

I worked very hard on the model to patch the holes, flip the wrong normals, do some optimization, add the colors and rise a bit the resolution of some parts. The models don't use any textures. I think the result is really great, so this is why I'm publishing the models here.

Unfortunately, I don't remember from where I downloaded the original model :wall: . Since this is copyrighted stuff, it can be used for personnal entertainment only. No commercial activities are allowed with this model.

I made two versions (two different configurations of the arms. See the pictures below).

Download link :
http://fsgregs.startlogic.com/Public_Fi ... 01pods.zip (7.9 MB zip file)

A few previews :
Attachment:
pod1a.jpg
pod1a.jpg [ 230.22 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]

Attachment:
pod1b.jpg
pod1b.jpg [ 130.76 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]

Attachment:
pod2a.jpg
pod2a.jpg [ 219.53 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]

Attachment:
pod2b.jpg
pod2b.jpg [ 222.38 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]

The first pod is the one which HAL9000 used to kill an astronaut, and is now lost somewhere around Io. The second pod is the one used by the last survivor to enter the monolith (end of the movie). The monolith model was made by myself.

Have fun !

PostPosted: Wed, 12-03-14, 20:57 GMT 

Is this is a rework of the 2005 version ?

that readme has
Quote:

¥ INTRODUCTION
In my personal opinion, Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey is probably the best movie ever made. I don't even think someone could do better in the future ! While there are some great models already available on the internet, I wasn't satisfied with the Discovery model and its service pod. So I decided to build my own Discovery for Celestia, based on the one available and located there :

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fic_2001.php

At first, I just wanted to add some details here and there. However, I ended rebuilding all the thing from scratch, using few parts of the models found there :

http://www.strafe.com/2001/

The service pod was converted from LightWave format to 3ds by Jestr. The original model comes from that web site :

http://www.lwg3d.org

That model had tons of defects and holes, probably caused by the conversion process. So I had to do a lot of works in order to repair the mesh.

I apologise for the Bad English.

Martin Charest (known as Cham, on the Celestia forum)
September 2005

PostPosted: Wed, 12-03-14, 22:54 GMT 

No, it's not the same model.

That 2005 version (from the Motherlode) is the now obsolete "old" version that I was refering to. The new version available here is much more accurate, more faithful to the real pod as seen in the movie.

The mesh is also much more precise (less defects) than the 2005 version.

If you already have the pod from the Motherlode (2005), I strongly recommend to trash it and replace it with the new version above.

The arms and monolith configurations are also more interesting than what is available on the Motherlode.

I edited the model to animate the arms (i.e. configurable), so I could make a new version with any configuration of the arms (a raised finger, maybe ? :twisted: )