It is currently Sat, 20-10-18, 2:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 0:55 GMT 

This would look very artificial and unsatisfying. We need sprites for this. But as you know, it's dead on the Mac ! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 1:12 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
This would look very artificial and unsatisfying. We need sprites for this. But as you know, it's dead on the Mac ! :evil:

I wonder...
Remember our volcano, a few years ago?
If your new method is combined with a regular smoke mesh, maybe...

After all, i did manage to make decent smoke with just a regular 3ds file; the downside
was that the 3ds weighed 5 MB, and so was too impractical to use in an add-on:

... Maybe it is time to have another go at it...

EDIT:
The smoke was generated by mapping one small smoke PNG onto a mesh that
consisted of several thousand polygons that were randomly folded into each other.

If one made a simpler version, and then used your technique to have it rotate
about itself...

- rthorvald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 2:33 GMT 

Great shot, Runar. Pratically, you have placed a tree in the volcano! Cham, chromosphere tested 1.4.1; it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 3:19 GMT 

Wow, this is very similar to what I did with animating Jupiter's clouds years ago. Of course I didn't have the transparent sphere models back than that we do now so I never took it very far. I was toying with my new Red Dwarf texture again trying to do this, but I wasn't happy with the results. So thanks for stepping this up a notch. I can't wait to give it a try with said texture. If all goes well I may post a short video myself.

Rather than clutter up the thread, I will put my results of this here.

I dumped the videos on youtube as well as posting links to the AVI files.

You will see that I achieved a different look with my texture. It looks more like roiling flames rather than convecting plasma. Oh well it was fun to try it. I even added Runar's flares to it on the second video. So there many effects that can achieved with this. Hmmm, SOLARIS anyone?

Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf with Flares

Don. Edwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 11:05 GMT 
Site Admin

Don, what is really great with Cham's trick is the nill momentum, cells seems to burst from the mantle to the surface, no general movement. In your example (despite being also nice), one can follow too much at least 2 layers of textures... That's what make the Cham's trick so good, at first sight no way to say how it is done, the surface become alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 12:05 GMT 

ElChristou,

I went back and looked at the Cham's video again and I can see were my problems are. My texture is to sharp and the contrast to high. Also my convective cells being more out of round really show up. Its a learning process like any other. You are right though, mine does need allot of work.

Don. Edwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 14:05 GMT 
Site Admin

Don. Edwards wrote:
ElChristou,

I went back and looked at the Cham's video again and I can see were my problems are. My texture is to sharp and the contrast to high. Also my convective cells being more out of round really show up. Its a learning process like any other. You are right though, mine does need allot of work.

Don. Edwards

No you misunderstood me, what I point out, is that to achieve this stunning effect on stars, there is no other way than using those 6 spheres. Once one have this in mind, you only have to work on the texture and at best on the rotation speed. For example for a brown dwarf, I suppose a texture with a cell structure very dark (not too transparent) will be good to create a contrast game between the 6 layers and the color of the star lying below...

Now of course, if one break the nill momentum, then there is tons of test to do to achieve for example sand storms over Mars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 14:52 GMT 

There are more things to come, with the technique I exposed here : clouds motion on a gas giant (especially the "hot jupiters"). I intend to recreate (or simulate, if you prefer) Jupiter's great spot on an exoplanet (so not to interfere with our Jupiter). I'll use at least two rings of static clouds, rotating in opposite sense, plus a half-sphere rotating between them, around an orthogonal axis (it's a bit hard to explain in few words). I'll try to reproduce what is often shown on videos about Jupiter's spot in accelerated motion. I'm not sure this would be very convincing, though.

Also, take note that nothing prevents us to us MORE than 6 spheres, so more complicated effects with more layers and textures. Since the sphere model is pretty simple and frame rate effective, we should be able to use more than 6, without affecting significantly the frame rate in Celestia (however, I didn't tested this yet).

I also want to simulate some kind of heat flows on "hot Jupiters", so I'll have to break the "nil angular momentum" constraint. I also have another special effect trick with rotating spheres that I'm yet unable to explain (more experiments are needed in this case).

The only real difficulty with the rotating spheres technique are the textures to be used. They must be crafted with care (and I must admit I'm not an expert with Photoshop). In brief, here are some constraints that we need to remember, while designing a new texture :

- we need at least two PNG textures (wathever the resolution), lets call them A and B, associated to the +spheres and -spheres, respectively, plus the base texture mapped on Celestia's sphere.

- Begin with texture A. If you want to create texture B from a vertical flip of A, You MUST NOT duplicate the same texture, and use the symetry operations (flipping it horizontally, vertically or 180 degrees rotation, and using the Offset operations) while creating texture A, or else you'll get some weird unatural periodic patterns in Celestia, since the same textures are applied 2*3 = 6 times on the rotating spheres. This is a major constraint while creating the textures, unless you want to create some special patterns on purpose (like what we have on Saturn's poles).

- Ideally (but not necessarily), both textures A and B should be related in some way to the base texture, to match the colors, contrasts and shapes. This is where you need lots of testing, experiments, trials and mistakes, etc. Global transparency and details transparencies (holes) of A and B are very important, especially since you'll have six layers on top of the base texture.

In many cases, I used an already existing star texture (see the astar.jpg, bstar.jpg and gstar.jpg textures available for Celestia) and erased many details using the eraser stamp tool in Photoshop. Be carefull at the left and right edges (the texture must be seamless), and remove some large bands at the poles (up and bottom edges). The six spheres will take care of the poles and there wont be any "polar pinch effect". This is actually a good way, visually, to get rid of *some* of the polar deformations occuring on the base texture, when applied to Celestia's sphere : the six rotating layers are "masking" the base sphere a bit (depending of the global transparency of A and B).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 20:21 GMT 
Site Admin

Despite, Martin's VERY interesting approach, it might nevertheless be informative to have a look at white papers from NVIDIA developer site about how developers approach similar graphics challenges:

i) RealTime atmospheric effects!
ii) RealTime volumetric smoke etc....

The following VERY impressive discussions are based on Direct3D10, but have a look at the developed strategies and presented formulae! There is a wealth of exciting material that can no doubt be transferred to OpenGL 2.0...

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/pr ... Crytek.pdf
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/pr ... Fluids.pdf

Don't miss the most impressive images!

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 22:05 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
Despite, Martin's VERY interesting approach, it might nevertheless be informative to have a look at white papers from NVIDIA developer site about how developers approach similar graphics challenges:

Yep indeed very impressive those real time rendering...

Now 1) this is lecture for Chris L., 2) I understand the need for "elegant/cleaver" solutions, but all those stuff is for the very last material... I suppose it would be better to always forget the last 1 or 2 years old technology and concentrate on older stuff that (almost) everybody is able to run...

Cham's trick despite being "bricolage" is not a so bad way to render decent stars on almost all config. Perso I doubt a bit of the result on other bodies (not being fictitious), but for stars it's definitively not bad at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 22:28 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
t00fri wrote:

Now 1) this is lecture for Chris L.,

I think I can understand PERFECTLY well the formulae exposed for getting those atmospheric effects. OpenGL is not THAT difficult to learn and apply either ...

see e.g. Vincent. He started at ZERO not long ago!

There is a host of respective code examples at the NVIDIA developer site.

Quote:
2) I understand the need for "elegant/clever" solutions, but all those stuff is for the very last material... I suppose it would be better to always forget the last 1 or 2 years old technology and concentrate on older stuff that (almost) everybody is able to run...

Cham's trick despite being "bricolage" is not a so bad way to render decent stars on almost all config. Perso I doubt a bit of the result on other bodies (not being fictitious), but for stars it's definitively not bad at all...

As I said, Martin's trick is great, but one should not forget about the real way to do this eventually...

Cheers,
F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 22:35 GMT 

I agree. The star rendering in Celestia currently sucks, and someday, something should be done about it (at the code level), so we can have a more realistic rendering, for ALL stars. The trick I'm exposing is really just a "bricolage" (or a kind of "hack") which is applied to a few stars only, so it's not very satisfying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 22:49 GMT 
Site Admin

Cham wrote:
I agree. The star rendering in Celestia currently sucks, and someday, something should be done about it (at the code level), so we can have a more realistic rendering, for ALL stars. The trick I'm exposing is really a "bricolage" (or a kind of "hack") which is applied to a few stars only, so it's not very satisfying.

Absolutely, Martin.

I just wanted to recall the target, which is feasible with the technology of today. In order to
really render stars naturally we DO need

High Dynamic Range Rendering. There is NO way around that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynam ... _rendering

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 22:55 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
ElChristou wrote:
t00fri wrote:

Now 1) this is lecture for Chris L.,

I think I can understand PERFECTLY well the formulae exposed for getting those atmospheric effects. OpenGL is not THAT difficult to learn and apply either ...

see e.g. Vincent. He started at ZERO not long ago!

There is a host of respective code examples at the NVIDIA developer site.

What's up tonight? ya un truc qui passe mal? :wink:

What I mean is that as far as I know, Chris L. is the one in charge for OGL stuff. Nothing more, nothing less.

(Remember Vincent already answered that what he learn was not much, just the necessary to be able to display a few lines/stills. I'm not denigrating here Vincent's efforts (I would be unable to do what he done), I'm just saying that actually one must have a huge background in math and now physic to be able to code those stuff. I'm sure you can understand and learn that, but please, you won't makes me believe that Mr everybody can learn and apply all this in from zero in... let's say... 1 year full time...)

Quote:
Quote:
2) I understand the need for "elegant/clever" solutions, but all those stuff is for the very last material... I suppose it would be better to always forget the last 1 or 2 years old technology and concentrate on older stuff that (almost) everybody is able to run...

As I said, Martin's trick is great, but one should not forget about the real way to do this eventually...

We do agree, but the only problem is that "eventually" right now, sounds to me not before 2 or 3 (or more) years... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 24-09-07, 23:07 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
What I mean is that as far as I know, Chris L. is the one in charge for OGL stuff. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am NOT thinking in terms of Celestia (only) ;-) . Also my Cosmological Visualization project will need
good stars and better atmospheres. Chris L. is NOT in charge of this. Forgot?

Quote:
you won't makes me believe that Mr everybody can learn and apply all this in from zero in... let's
say... 1 year full time...

Also I did not imply that 'everyone' should start coding that stuff.

I just did not agree that these new concepts displayed at the NVIDIA site for example are ONLY a
lesson for Chris L. ;-) . Not more not less.

Quote:

We do agree, but the only problem is that "eventually" right now, sounds to me not before 2 or 3 (or
more) years... :cry:

My own time scale is much better defined and certainly less than 2 or 3 years...

Bye Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Mon, 24-09-07, 23:13 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next