It is currently Tue, 23-05-17, 5:03 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu, 21-01-16, 2:48 GMT 

Some re-make re-model.

Cygnus...
Maybe it looks too bumpy, but with lesser opacity the filaments vanish. Aside the underlying reds of the original MW layer, this is made of four pieces centered on 20 stars overall. Crescent and Tulip nebulae are recognizable.
Attachment:
mw_11.jpg
mw_11.jpg [ 313.36 KiB | Viewed 803 times ]

MW center...
This is insane. I can't cover the area north of the label NGC 6440. I've left the sorrounding layer's borders sharp, just to recognize it in this screendump. The only fake thing here is a fine noise underlying the Rho Ophiuchi complex and fading out onto halo just as to increase a bit the luminance required for showing the converging dark cloud. All this vanish if the monitor temperature is toward (black body) red.
Attachment:
mw_12.jpg
mw_12.jpg [ 468.85 KiB | Viewed 803 times ]

PostPosted: Thu, 21-01-16, 12:12 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
MW center...
This is insane. ...

Insane perhaps, but very nice for sure ;-)

fridger

PostPosted: Thu, 21-01-16, 22:40 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Insane perhaps, but very nice for sure ;-)
fridger

;) At that FOV it is unclear where the eye put the focus; some parts seems to "explode" forward. If seen horizontally, the "cavern" of War&Peace / Cat's Paw nebulae looks like those geoids seen through the crystal ball toy for children. The good thing is that the overall shading is "matte" enough to appear pseudo-lambertian dusty. At the final stage I will play with the specular colors/power to see what happens.

Toward the southern seas...
Here comes the troubles. The original images are large enough that their resizing for mosaic makes the star dots uniform; it has been used just 1px of dust&grain removal effect to get rid of intermediate stars. Big stars have been retouched to remove the huge sparkles. But they are cropped too close the end of the stars flow and there is no room between them and the halo, therefore needs an operation of blending/smudging/fusion of the last pixels onto the original MW layer stamps. These smudges now are sketched, and I will try to do my own best; like said previously, this is a humanistic matter, so an artistic drawer, a painter, will acknowledge my unattitude with the pen and its techniques.
Attachment:
mw_14.jpg
mw_14.jpg [ 350.69 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

P.S.
Maybe I've found the "login issue". It happens (to me) if the log in is made through the textboxes on the main forum page. It seems unhappening if the login is made by clicking on the "login" link, up on the left of the same page.

PostPosted: Mon, 08-02-16, 1:05 GMT 

...Still unfinished, but close. Two screendumps from Linux openSUSE 13.2 x64 latest KDE-Celestia 1.6.1 and MESA graphic drivers. CMOD parameters:

opacity 0.185
diffuse 1 1 1
emissive 1 1 1
specular 0 0 0
specpower 8192

I know, there is not a criterium for such a specpower value, since I believed 128 was the max. but seem it not so. For lesser opacity the overall look is good if the specular color is white instead of black. The machine is the same, being Linux on its dedicated hard drive, but there is a tiny difference in the way in which the haziness is rendered amongst graphic drivers (Nvidia drivers on Win, to which are referred the previous screenshots). The galaxylight is the default one (0) and ther is not ambiental light.

Center
Attachment:
mw_tux_1.jpg
mw_tux_1.jpg [ 458.35 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

Centaurus
Attachment:
mw_tux_2.png
mw_tux_2.png [ 423.14 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

PostPosted: Mon, 08-02-16, 3:13 GMT 

Still in Linux, opacity 2.2. I don't know how you see these; whether luminous or not.
Attachment:
mw_tux_3.jpg
mw_tux_3.jpg [ 404.42 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]

PostPosted: Mon, 08-02-16, 23:25 GMT 

These are on Windows, opacity 0.185. Notice the different blending of the default galaxy sprites.
center
Attachment:
mw_win_1.png
mw_win_1.png [ 503.7 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

aquila rift
Attachment:
mw_win_2.png
mw_win_2.png [ 378.05 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

carina
Attachment:
mw_win_3.png
mw_win_3.png [ 332.23 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]