It is currently Wed, 28-06-17, 22:28 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 27-01-08, 10:38 GMT 
Site Admin

But in the real rendering this will still look MUCH better than with a suddenly stopped specularity across a line.

I think the major rivers and lakes are there also in the BMNG map albeit the resolution is much worse. Also there is not much offset visible between the two maps.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 27-01-08, 11:18 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
But in the real rendering this will still look MUCH better than with a suddenly stopped specularity across a line.

I think the major rivers and lakes are there also in the BMNG map albeit the resolution is much worse. Also there is not much offset visible between the two maps.

F.
I don't know. What's worse than a sudden stop in the data is a sudden shift to faulty data. We need to look at it and see what it looks like in celestia. Don't you have any VT's left from using the original watermask? I don't. If not, I'll try a new BMNG VT later today to check out the newest watermask.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 27-01-08, 20:53 GMT 

I've seen BMNG July and February and the original watermask data looks alright for a temporary solution. But I'm going to put more effort into investigating MODIS swaths from 2002-2003. These are the years bmng data was acquired???? Correct me if I'm wrong. Here is a screen shot from a MODIS site showing multiple pages.
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9023/modis1ry6.jpg
The Terra /Aqua orbit tracks show the times the satellites are over areas of interest. Finding the time for the appropriate satellite and clicking on the thumb brings up the page to the left. Depending on the satellite, bands 3-6-7 and 7-2-1 or just 7-2-1 are available for viewing. There is also a context globe showing the image location on the earth. Download links are at the bottom. Gdal can read hdf and there may be a way of burning the bands I wish to extract water information from to a map projected mosaic. The page to the left shows dark areas at or above the 60N line. This is supposed to be water. This looks like much better data than the original bmng watermask. Don't know how long it will take to complete though . :?
MODIS calender page. http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/?calendar
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 13:07 GMT 

I'm about to update the ver3 landmask with ver4. The updated file will be the same file except that there will not be any residual light added. I will be providing a utility bat file that will call a program that adds light and can be controlled by the user. This way the user can specify how much light to add. I've done all 12 bmng textures and I noticed that for some of them, not sure which ones off hand, there was too much residual light added to the spec file and made it look slightly plastic in certain areas. The program works great on my linux operating system but it runs rather slowly on my Windows XP OS. I am still trying to get a build of the add-light utility that runs a little faster. When I do, I'll be updating the swbd-landmask file. This way a user can decompress the file and add more or less residual light or none at all depending on the users preference.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 10:52 GMT 

It looks like the program I wrote to add light to the landmask is never going to run right on Windows. It locks up my display and runs slow as hell. Oh well. It runs great on Linux though. Go figure. :?
So I'm thinking of adding 3 more landmask files, each with different amounts of residual light. I will leave version 3 which has a minumum value of 31. I will add 3 more versions that have minimum values of 27, 23, and 0. This way if someone out there does not like the residual light values of 31, 27, or 23, they can get the map with no residual light and deal with it on their own.

My new site has a lot more storage capabilities so only my new site will have these extra files. I will also update the watermask which will require the specmap tool for those who want to play with it that way. They will probably be available in the next few days.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 11:42 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
...So I'm thinking of adding 3 more landmask files, each with different amounts of residual light. I will leave version 3 which has a minumum value of 31. I will add 3 more versions that have minimum values of 27, 23, and 0. cartrite

Cartrite, could you please give us 4 examples of the same zone, obtained with these 4 different settings, or at least 2, with 31 and 0 settings, in order to have a clearer idea of the results? 8)
Very appreciated, thank you.
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 15:10 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
cartrite wrote:
...So I'm thinking of adding 3 more landmask files, each with different amounts of residual light. I will leave version 3 which has a minumum value of 31. I will add 3 more versions that have minimum values of 27, 23, and 0. cartrite

Cartrite, could you please give us 4 examples of the same zone, obtained with these 4 different settings, or at least 2, with 31 and 0 settings, in order to have a clearer idea of the results? 8)
Very appreciated, thank you.
Bye

This will take a while longer. I did different months with different maps but I didn't do any with zero residual light. My drives are also full and I don't have the space to do anymore. What I am planning is to buy a 500 gb external drive so I can move a lot of the HiRise and CTX data off my Sata drive. Then I will be able to do what you asked. I didn't see a drive I want yet though. All they got around where I live are 160 gb and 300 gb drives. There may 500 gb drives in the Allentown area but that is a major trip. Maybe by weeks end. When I clean up my Sata disk I'll do one month with the 4 different maps so people can get an idea of what to expect. Right now I have bmng textures with 3 of the maps but they are different months. It is hard to tell any differences because there are also differences in the color of the base from month to month. Between the 3 values I have chosen, the differences are subtle. The zero amount will be obvious though. If one uses that one as is, they will only see shadows rendered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 15:29 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
It looks like the program I wrote to add light to the landmask is never going to run right on Windows. It locks up my display and runs slow as hell. Oh well. It runs great on Linux though. Go figure. :?
So I'm thinking of adding 3 more landmask files, each with different amounts of residual light. I will leave version 3 which has a minumum value of 31. I will add 3 more versions that have minimum values of 27, 23, and 0. This way if someone out there does not like the residual light values of 31, 27, or 23, they can get the map with no residual light and deal with it on their own.

My new site has a lot more storage capabilities so only my new site will have these extra files. I will also update the watermask which will require the specmap tool for those who want to play with it that way. They will probably be available in the next few days.
cartrite

Cartrite,

but why don't you simply comment out the functions you don't need for the landmap in my specmap tool. Then you can use it perfectly in all OS for setting the residual light level. It's so simple, I don't understand what the problem is.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 15:56 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
cartrite wrote:

cartrite

Cartrite,

but why don't you simply comment out the functions you don't need for the landmap in my specmap tool. Then you can use it perfectly in all OS for setting the residual light level. It's so simple, I don't understand what the problem is.

Fridger
I haven't tried that. The program I wrote is very simple and runs great with Linux. This is how I've created the different maps. But it brings my system to it's knees in Windows. So it would no doubt cause others all kind of problems who use it.

I wanted to supply this program with the landmask with no residual light so users can add the amount of residual light they choose while decompressing the file. I didn't want to modify your program and supply that because I didn't write it. If commenting out sections of the specmap program works, this is a way for others who have the knowhow to modify the map with no residual light that I will make available soon. I may try this and find out what needs to be commented out and maybe include instructions with that package. But I'd rather not include the modified program. Instructions only. Can you imagine the questions. Consider the questions I've gotten from my "one click bat files." :shock: :?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 16:23 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
This will take a while longer. I did different months with different maps but I didn't do any with zero residual light. My drives are also full and I don't have the space to do anymore.... Maybe by weeks end. When I clean up my Sata disk I'll do one month with the 4 different maps so people can get an idea of what to expect.

I understand the problem Cartrite, so don't worry, it's not so important.
Take your time, and thank you. :wink:
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 14-05-13, 22:06 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
t00fri wrote:

F.
I don't know. What's worse than a sudden stop in the data is a sudden shift to faulty data. We need to look at it and see what it looks like in celestia. Don't you have any VT's left from using the original watermask? I don't. If not, I'll try a new BMNG VT later today to check out the newest watermask.
cartrite

It looks as if a team from the University of Maryland, Department of Geography and NASA, has got a specmap with full global coverage. One day last week I was searching the web for a cloudmap and came across this site. http://www.shadedrelief.com/natural3/pages/extra.html There is a nice image of a specmap there too.

There was a link at the bottom to this site.
http://glcf.umd.edu/data/watermask/
It doesn't have much documentation but every folder has a browse image and preview. There are a 177 files in all at 250 meter resolution. Tough files to deal with though land = 0 and water = 1. Missing data is 255. They are GeoTiff files though so Gdal can handle them.

Also I seen a full global height map at 30 meter resolution.
ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/srtm30/
I must have been asleep too long. :wink:

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 14-05-13, 22:35 GMT 
Site Admin

Hey Stephen,

that looks exciting! Just the right stuff for us ;-) ... The specmap looks very smooth, noise-free and very detailed. Remember there was a problem above 60 degs North in your old map. Did you have a look whether this is gone in their new map??

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 15-05-13, 1:12 GMT 

Hey Fridger,
Yeah I know. But that is all that data set had. It only covered from 60 to -60. They did the same thing I was gonna try. Using the Modis bands 6,7,8 or 7,8,9. I may start to work on data from Modis. Maybe Landsat too. But I got to get Linux again.:?

I had a look at this one up close. At first glance, I saw it is missing a large chunk of the California coast and Antarctica is completely missing. I have the same file count as they do so I'm not sure what is going on. I did the run over an all white file so I'll try to run it on my old one. Both maps use the same data, so I can't see why California would be missing.

They filled in the north pretty good though. There is probably still some stuff missing but there are no hard lines that are very noticeable. Well anyhow a picture speaks a thousand words. Here is an 8k shot.

Closeups of the North. My side of the world looks a little noisy but your side don't look that bad. I'm going to mount this on the bmng-july file I downloaded last week and look at the 500m resolution.

My map had an original resolution of 30 or 90 meters. Can't remember. I think parts like North America were 30 meter. I'd have to dig my old computer out of storage to get that though. Then I'd be able to fill in areas.

This map has 250 so it would make a 128k map. The elevation map would match. I'm not sure if there is a 128 rgb world map like the blue marble though. Well back to bringing my laptop to it's knees. :?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 15-05-13, 1:36 GMT 

It got pretty tough doing this. Probably because I did it the hard way. What I should have done was map the files onto an 84k and then ran it thru a program to get 0 and 255.

But I wanted to see if it was worth doing first. This run tied my computer up all day. About 7 hours. It takes a long time to run gdalwarp. Getting the file ready only took about 15 minutes. But I'm wondering how those tiles got missed on the west coast of North America. I think I'm gonna try to get some sort of counter to count the file that were processes. One of the downfalls of Windows. The terminal can't be saved and it disappears at the end of the run when using a bat file.

Well have a good one.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 15-05-13, 10:20 GMT 

I did another run last night.
This time I checked for (255) the missing data flag? before checking for a 0 or a 1.
I altered specmap.cpp to do this.
This is the main logic.
Code:
hspec[i] = 0x00;
                if (h[i] == 0xff)
                    hspec = 0x00;

if (h[i] == 0x01)
                    hspec[i] = 0xff;
                else
                    hspec[i] = 0x00;

Shouldn't this produce a file with hspec that has 2 values. 0 or 1?

When I attempt to remove the gray blocks I use this.
Code:
                hspec[i] = 0x00;
                if (h[i] <= 0x10)
                    hspec[i] = 0x00;
                else
                    hspec[i] = 0xff;

Here are the results.
The original output from the run looks like this.

Now, here is what it looks like after I attempt to remove the gray blocks.

Obviously, I'm putting in all this extra noise up north while attemting to clean up the gray blocks. Not sure why though.

A note in case someone attempt to create this too.
Beware, the data set does not have a fixed dimension for all the files.
There are 4 different ones, I think.
5761x7681 5761x9601 5670x7681 and 5760x9601. This is all that I found. I did process all 177 of the files. So................
It would probably be best if gdalwarp is run before any modification is done. But then you will not know if a mistake was made till the whole run is done and the image is corrected. The bulk of the data in the file will be a 0 or a 1. It will look black.
cartrite

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next