It is currently Sat, 21-09-19, 15:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 26-10-07, 20:19 GMT 

Google is your friend :)

http://www.personal.psu.edu/tbl119/geog ... ject3.html
describes SRTM and claims that the file is available at
ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/versio ... _rules.pdf

That rules file is dated 2003, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 26-10-07, 22:43 GMT 

I should have put the whole filename into the search. I only put in "srtm"
I don't think they got a newer one anywhere. I quickly scanned it to try and refresh my memory. I'll have to read the whole thing again slowly. I think this one does describe how the 90 meter data received the extra processing though. Problem with the 90 meter data is that it only covers 60 north to 60 south roughly. That leaves out a lot of land area in the north.
Thanks Selden,
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 13:29 GMT 
Site Admin

So that library seems to be the GPL programming tool for handling ESRI shapefiles ,

http://shapelib.maptools.org/

The ESRI vector format is the nev storage format of the next generation waterways derived from the 1 arcsec SRTM version 2 data.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 14:37 GMT 

The program ArcExplorer can open those files and save them as .bmp's.
Then nconvert or something can convert them to grayscale.png's. The arcexplorer prgram can put a lot of those files together as 1 image. I had one of most of North America but it may have been deleted because I can't find it now. Anyhow, I think the watermask files were made from the swbd files. So there may have been an error in creating them from the SRTM1? That would account for the problems we are having. Not sure.
On another note, I'll post this here instead of jumping back and forth between threads.
I modified the script you posted a little. I had 2 run the part2b program because there were too many white pixels in this area.
Code:
#! /bin/sh

name=${1%.*} #full path to file specified by $1, minus extension
./part1b 1201 1201 < $1|part2b 1201 1201 > ${name}.bin
./part2b 1201 1201 < ${name}.bin|part2b 1201 1201 > ${name}.bin2
./part2b 1201 1201 < ${name}.bin2|part2b 1201 1201 > ${name}.bin
./part2b 1201 1201 < ${name}.bin2|part2b 1201 1201 > ${name}.bin
./part2b 1201 1201 < ${name}.bin2|bin2png 1 1201 1201 > ${name}.png

And came up with this.
Notice the vertical line in the Chesapeake Bay. That's a bug that doesn't turn pixels to 0xff when they are on the edge of the image. I had a version that corrected that. It might be part3b.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 16:01 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite,

now I vaguely remember that I went through most of this, including ArcExplorer quite some time ago. Did you find the download site for that program?

The main task is to convert and assemble those files to a single raster file. Once that is achieved I can easily write some custom code to take care of it.

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 16:25 GMT 

I just downloaded this from http://www.esri.com/software/arcexplorer/download9.html
but there is also this one http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/index.html
I think I have this version on Windows.
I don't think a single file can be made that easily though because I think there are only files for the land areas. No oceans. That would have to be added in somehow. The SRTM3 files would need the same treatment if they were used.
I'm not sure if the swbd covers above 60 north or below 60 south also.
Anyhow the SRTM3 files can do the job if I can work out this bug.
This image gives a better cross section of problem areas. There was a lot of noise in the initial run.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 16:43 GMT 

I'm not sure how to go about putting swbd files together. I can use ISIS to put the SRTM3 files together though. I would just have to import them raw and write a script to use the file names to write out map files.
required fields are min and max longitude and latitude and line and sample offsets from a center longitude and latitude of 0. Upper left corner x and y need to be calculated too for each file.
Code:
UpperLeftCornerY =  1.0 * (LINE_PROJECTION_OFFSET - 0.5) * PixelResolution
UpperLeftCornerX = -1.0 * (SAMPLE_PROJECTION_OFFSET - 0.5) * PixelResolution
This code is for mars so I might not need to subtract the .5.
There are scripts around the ISIS forum that might convert ESRI files to ISIS cubs. I have to look. If I can find one I may be able to import the swbd files. But I don't think I have the disk space to do a full globe at 90 meter resolution. I would have to tile them scale them down to the right size and put together a 64k.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 18:01 GMT 

I tried the linux version arcexplorer9 and I can't get it to save the whole file. It just saves what it has in the window. I'll have to see if I can find a script at the ISIS forum and import these things into ISIS. I may be able to deal with them then.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 18:25 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I tried the linux version arcexplorer9 and I can't get it to save the whole file. It just saves what it has in the window. I'll have to see if I can find a script at the ISIS forum and import these things into ISIS. I may be able to deal with them then.
cartrite

Doesn't create lots of confidence in this software ;-)
I'll try the Win32 version ASAP.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 18:57 GMT 

I think the software that we need costs big bucks. I thick that you would need ArcMap or ArcGis or something like that. These things I provided links to are just viewers.

I couldn't find any importers at the ISIS forum. Only exporters. I thought I seen an importer there though a while back. Missing brain cells!!!!!

Did you give this any thought. If the Watermask files used swbd files for their creation, wouldn't we be creating the same files with the same errors if we ever did get this rolling?

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 19:11 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I think the software that we need costs big bucks. I thick that you would need ArcMap or ArcGis or something like that. These things I provided links to are just viewers.

I couldn't find any importers at the ISIS forum. Only exporters. I thought I seen an importer there though a while back. Missing brain cells!!!!!

Did you give this any thought. If the Watermask files used swbd files for their creation, wouldn't we be creating the same files with the same errors if we ever did get this rolling?
cartrite

cartrite,

that unfortunately matches my impressions from a search in the net this afternoon. GIS 2.0 and an ESRI plugin can be downloaded and used for a 30 day trial period... but then I felt it might be preferable writing some custom code based on the shapelib that is LGPL-licensed.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 27-10-07, 19:26 GMT 

I think I was checking that out a couple of weeks ago to use on some Mars Express files. But I didn't try it because the trial version is not fully functional.
Ended up writing my own map templates and was able to re project the files I was dealing with and ...... When I finished I was glad I didn't buy something I didn't even need!
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 28-10-07, 11:09 GMT 

Here is something to take a quick look at. http://www.scenerysolutions.com/doc/SRTMData.pdf
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 28-10-07, 17:44 GMT 

Quote:
]The main problem with the present watermap is NOT its alignment wrto the base map. It's the MISINTERPRETATION of water areas (lakes) where for sure there won't be any Wink (deserts).

A picture speaks a thousand words.

I just finished the April bmng with your tools and used the watermask. I'm really impressed with the f-tex tools 1.0pre4. Everything went smoothly. Thank You. Not so impressed with the watermask though. :wink:
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 28-10-07, 20:33 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite,

thanks for the compliments. Yes, indeed we need to do something about the "waterways" ;-) Sorry for the bad CM forum turnaround today. The ibiblio server is said to have had considerable DNS problems. But now everything seems fine again.

Bye Fridger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next