It is currently Mon, 18-11-19, 9:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-11-07, 12:34 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
... Among other things I want to have the ability to pause and resume it because the run will last days if not a week or more. A byproduct of this run is I will have 12000+ 1296k resolution ( 30 meter ) specmap tiles. That is probably be the best reason to do it. Some day they may come in handy. :wink:

Indeed I'm quite astonish by this quest of quality... thumbs up! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-11-07, 10:38 GMT 
Site Admin

Guys, noob question; could it be possible to do a highres map using a scripted modified spec map to show a 1 meter elevation of the oceans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-11-07, 11:05 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
Guys, noob question; could it be possible to do a highres map using a scripted modified spec map to show a 1 meter elevation of the oceans?

at 16bit level yes (-32768 m ...32768m) but NOT at 8 bit level that Celestia needs (for now), since only 256 altitude levels available.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-11-07, 11:14 GMT 

I haven't tried it. The 3dem application can load a srtm heightmap and then you can "raise" the sea level by 1 meter and "view" the changes. But creating a specmap from that. I don't know about that one. The ocean "values" will still be 0 I think. You can try creating an ocean only specmap from the srtm file by changing values = 0 and 1 to 0xff. Currently only 0 is changed to 0xff.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 05-12-07, 22:20 GMT 

I started to produce a new watermask that is being reduced with cubic spline and I'm seeing some big changes along the coasts. That seems to be where the most noticeable changes are. But if this is being over written by the specmap tool............. I'm not sure how much is being overwritten. The cubic spline shots are from the new map and the nearest neighbor are from the current map.

cubic spline Mississippi River Delta, New Orleans area, USA

nearest neighbor

cubic spline Florida Keys and South Florida, USA

nearest neighbor

cubic spline Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, USA

nearest neighbor

cubic spline Delaware (at bottom) and South New Jersey (top) , USA

nearest neighbor

cartrite

Last edited by cartrite on Sun, 09-12-07, 15:47 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 05-12-07, 22:35 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite,

your new coastal boundaries look very impressive. So if they turn out to be better than the srtm elevation map boundaries we can just skip specmap for Earth or merely use it for black <-> white inversion.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 05-12-07, 22:42 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
cartrite,

your new coastal boundaries look very impressive. So if they turn out to be better than the srtm elevation map boundaries we can just skip specmap for Earth or merely use it for black <-> white inversion.

Bye Fridger
We should probably see if they match the Blue Marble files first. I got a ways till I'm ready for that. I have to do these runs in 8 parts like I did the last one. Tile A2 had 163 files and took over 2 hours. The other tiles I did took over 12. So far I got A1,A2,and B1 done. I'm going to do B2 tonight. So........
EDIT: And there is still the north and south of 60 degrees issue. When I'm done with these I'm going to look into that. I'm thinking of using older MODIS images and using bands 3, 6, 7. It might be possible to isolate water using those bands.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-12-07, 10:25 GMT 

One of the problems I'm having is missing data along the coast lines. The first time I did this to produce the current file I "burned" the data onto files that had coastlines so missing areas left the file intact. This new method burns values onto a blank that has been translated into a geo-tiff with the coordinates of the file name. One such area is to the southwest of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I'm not sure how many of these areas there are. This one was easily fixed though.

This shot was scaled down from 3601x3601 to 700x700 for the forum

Resolution is 3601x3601 cropped to 700x700

Corrected. The missing area was filled in with data from the original srtm map 0 values.

cartrite

Last edited by cartrite on Thu, 06-12-07, 15:05 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-12-07, 14:18 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
I started to produce a new watermask that is being reduced with cubic spline and I'm seeing some big changes along the coasts.cartrite

Cartrite, I'm astonished by the quality of detail of your watermask. :shock:
But, please, could you be so kind to add the shown localities in the images of your post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 pm, just to have the possibility to compare these ones with the previous ones?
I recognize only the Florida Keys in the second map, but I'm missing the others. :?
Thanks a lot!
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-12-07, 14:55 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
But, please, could you be so kind to add the shown localities in the images of your post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 pm, just to have the possibility to compare these ones with the previous ones?
I recognize only the Florida Keys in the second map, but I'm missing the others. :?
Thanks a lot!
Bye

The images I posted above have the new version on top labeled cubic spline and the current version on the bottom labeled nearest neighbor.
Any how I'll edit my post to approximate the locations.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-12-07, 18:06 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
Andrea wrote:
Thanks a lot!
Bye Andrea :D

Any how I'll edit my post to approximate the locations.
cartrite

Thank you cartrite, appreciated. :wink:
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-07, 11:47 GMT 

Well, the new version is finished. Here are a couple before and after shots that show a major correction from tile d1. These problem areas were probably due to the srtm 0 values not being covered over with missing data or a bug in the gdal_rasterize program.

New map with cubic spline Southeast China.

Old map with nearest neighbor.

New map with cubic spline South Vietnam

Old map with nearest neighbor.

There are many other changes but these 2 and the ones I posted a couple of days ago give a pretty good sample. There are a couple of questions I have now as to how to proceed.
Since the cubic spline reduction created gray pixels to represent pixels that became less than a full pixel, should I leave them as is? The bmng watermasks have only 2 values. This map has many different values. Will the specmap tool be able to deal with a file that has more than 2 values?
Should I create a specmap that has dark gray values for land and light gray values for water? That way the specmap tool can stay as is for those who wish to use the watermask. And for those who wish to use a specmap directly they could use the specmap file without the specmap tool. If so, what should the dark gray value be?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-07, 18:05 GMT 

Another area that shows a pretty big difference. Keep in mind that the vt images from the new map were not created with the specmap tool so these coastlines are the output from the swbd files.

New map with cubic spline Central Europe looking south.

Old or current map with nearest neighbor.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-07, 19:27 GMT 

Superb shots! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-07, 19:37 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite,

your work is just amazing! I hope that in a few days I will be actively back in this game...

regards,

Fridger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next