It is currently Tue, 11-12-18, 23:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-07, 19:51 GMT 

Thanks guys,
Fridger,
Did you notice my questions under the nearest neighbor image of South Vietnam?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 13-12-07, 20:54 GMT 

I uploaded this new file to my site today as a spec map. min land value = 0x1f max water value = 255 called swbd-landmask.zip in case anyone wishes to try it. So until we decide what to do here....... Let me know if I should do something.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 14-12-07, 13:02 GMT 
cartrite wrote:
I uploaded this new file to my site today as a spec map. min land value = 0x1f max water value = 255 called swbd-landmask.zip in case anyone wishes to try it. So until we decide what to do here....... Let me know if I should do something.
cartrite

So this map contains grey levels between 0x1f and 0xff at the borders, right?
In my opinion this is the way to go, because it might look better at close inspection than a "hard edge" between land and water. But I will have to try out the map myself to see how it all looks on screen and in movement. Hope I'll find some free time to rebuild my earth texture soon, these screenshots are really impressive! Thanks for all that work you put into them!

steffens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 14-12-07, 15:35 GMT 

steffens wrote:
cartrite wrote:
cartrite

So this map contains grey levels between 0x1f and 0xff at the borders, right?
In my opinion this is the way to go, because it might look better at close inspection than a "hard edge" between land and water. But I will have to try out the map myself to see how it all looks on screen and in movement. Hope I'll find some free time to rebuild my earth texture soon, these screenshots are really impressive! Thanks for all that work you put into them!

steffens
I didn't really inspect the borders between water and land as far as pixel values too much. I was more concerned with missing data and possible errors.

The map was reduced with a much better method "cubic spline" and I believe that when pixels are reduced to a fraction of a pixel with this method, that these sub pixels are represented by a gray value which I left intact. Along the borders between land and water, some pixels may be a little brighter than 0x1f and some are a little darker than 255. The value 0x1f is almost black. My eyes can hardly tell a difference. This image shows how smooth the original 30 meter resolution is.

I did however "brighten" the land values from 0 to 31 or 0x1f. This was to use the enhanced rendering in OGL2 that is available in Celestia 1.5pre. The original 30 meter resolution png's are only 2 values though. 0 and 255. The program I used to "brighten" the map only processed pixels that were less than or equal to 0x1f. So the minimum value is now 0x1f instead of 0.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 14-12-07, 16:12 GMT 
cartrite wrote:
I didn't really inspect the borders between water and land as far as pixel values too much. I was more concerned with missing data and possible errors.

The map was reduced with a much better method "cubic spline" and I believe that when pixels are reduced to a fraction of a pixel with this method, that these sub pixels are represented by a gray value which I left intact. Along the borders between land and water, some pixels are a little brighter than 0x1f and some are a little darker than 255.

That's what I meant. I don't think that these grey pixels result in missing data or possible errors, but they should smooth the border between land and water a bit.

cartrite wrote:
I did however "brighten" the land values from 0 to 31 or 0x1f. This was to use the enhanced rendering in OGL2 that is available in Celestia 1.5pre. The original 30 meter resolution png's are only 2 values though. 0 and 255. The program I used to "brighten" the map only processed pixels that were less than or equal to 0x1f. So the minimum value is now 0x1f instead of 0.
cartrite

Yes I understand the reason for the minimum grey level on land areas, I was only refering to grey levels other than 0x1f and 0xff that were introduced by cubic spline interpolation - which is a good thing IMO.

steffens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 14-12-07, 17:00 GMT 

steffens wrote:
I don't think that these grey pixels result in missing data or possible errors, but they should smooth the border between land and water a bit.

Right.

The missing data I was looking for was data missing from the swbd files. Like the image I posted above. This didn't show up in the first run because I was burning "white values" onto black land and white oceans. In order to use cubic spline I had to use a different program called gdalwarp to reduce the data. But gdalwarp does not rasterize shapefiles. Gdal_rasterize uses nearest neighbor and does not have an option to use any other method.

This time I still used gdal_rasterize to burn black values on a pure white template, tile by tile, 12000+, but this template did not have the coastlines already defined like the first run. So areas that were missing data were left white. The "smoothing" between land and water is a byproduct of using the better reduction method and was not done intentionally. But I agree this is a good thing.

The errors I was looking for were possible mistakes or bugs in the script that defined the coordinates of the template resulting in an image that was either upside down or a mirror image of what it was supposed to be. I didn't find any errors though. I only found missing data that I manually filled in.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 23-12-07, 3:26 GMT 

I found an error with the specmap. Here is a context shot. Australia is to the left.

Closeups

No specmap basic render path.

Specmap.

First one I found. Hope there isn't many others. This showed up with both versions of the specmap. I found it while I was checking into the new cloud shadow code Chris is working on. Go figure. :?

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 23-12-07, 17:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Oha...looks relatively minor, doesn't it?

But some of your shots don't load.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 23-12-07, 19:38 GMT 

I already fixed my copy. But I didn't upload it yet. The island to the right is from the srtm 0 values and the one on the left is from the swbd. When you look at the specmap there are two of them.

Still looking for more. I could have sworn there was something wrong west of California but I can't find it now.

By saying my shots don't load you mean Image Shack is Slow? I was going to scale them down and upload them here but......... Next Time.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 23-12-07, 19:47 GMT 
Site Admin

Aha, now everything works....good luck!

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 17-01-08, 0:41 GMT 

Fridger,
I was wondering if you got around to deciding what direction the watermask should take. If you want I can upload the newer version watermask that has the 0 values for water and 255 values for land. I haven't worked on this for about a month now and this last version I did contains some corrections I found along with the better reduction method. The specmap tool will overwrite a lot of those corrections but at least there will be a better watermask to work with. Then you can decide what needs to be done at your leisure.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-01-08, 2:16 GMT 

Hi,
I fixed a couple of minor errors in the Australia region (double islands ) and uploaded a version 3 of the land mask to my web site. I'm going to put this to rest for a while and unless someone points something out, this will be the last update for a while. I also updated the 64k texture kit to use the newer version. Just a couple of name changes.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-01-08, 17:19 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
Fridger,
I was wondering if you got around to deciding what direction the watermask should take. If you want I can upload the newer version watermask that has the 0 values for water and 255 values for land. I haven't worked on this for about a month now and this last version I did contains some corrections I found along with the better reduction method. The specmap tool will overwrite a lot of those corrections but at least there will be a better watermask to work with. Then you can decide what needs to be done at your leisure.
cartrite

cartrite,

sorry I kept being busy. But over the weekend, we should try and sync the F-TexTools with your latest watermask/landmask. I tend to prefer an inverted watermask = landmask? (255 for water, 0 for land) as input, since then users have a choice between two options:

a) they may use the landmask directly without injecting some restlight into the dark landmask regions. In that case my specmap tool becomes superfluous.

b) they may want to enhance details in the normalmap rendering a bit by adding some small amount of restlight in the landmask. This would be done with my specmap tool and would be it's only remaining purpose.

I would VERY much appreciate if you could deposit your final landmask here in the ibiblio server.

Let me know whether I overlooked something.

Cheers,
F.

PS: How is the quality of your new mask near antarctica?

Remember I had also added the corrective line in the specmap tool:
Code:
if (h[i] == 0||(j > 0.83252f * height && h[i] <= 40))
                  hspec[i] = 255;

Is this now superfluous? (j > 0.83252f * height && h[i] <= 40)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-01-08, 18:55 GMT 

The updated landmask that is on my site is a spec map. White for water black for land. The land has already been modified to include a min value for specular highlight rendering. The same file, only inverted is the one I should upload here. Right? This file has no modifications. But the values are not just zero and 255. There are averages for when a pixel became smaller than 1 while reducing.
A couple of years ago when we were working on this, you gave me that work around for Antarctica.
Code:
        if (y < height - change)
            pixel[y + change] = readRowRGB(stdin, width);
        for (int x = 0; x < width; x++)
        {
            short a;
            a = pixel[y][x];
       gray[x] = 0x00;
            if (a == 0 || (y > 0.83252f * height && a <= 40))
                gray[x] = 0xff;
        }
Looks almost the same.
To ftp the file here, I send it to incoming? I still don't see the Celestial Matters directory from my ftp client.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-01-08, 19:25 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
The updated landmask that is on my site is a spec map. White for water black for land. The land has already been modified to include a min value for specular highlight rendering. The same file, only inverted is the one I should upload here. Right? This file has no modifications. But the values are not just zero and 255. There are averages for when a pixel became smaller than 1 while reducing.
A couple of years ago when we were working on this, you gave me that work around for Antarctica.
Code:
        if (y < height - change)
            pixel[y + change] = readRowRGB(stdin, width);
        for (int x = 0; x < width; x++)
        {
            short a;
            a = pixel[y][x];
       gray[x] = 0x00;
            if (a == 0 || (y > 0.83252f * height && a <= 40))
                gray[x] = 0xff;
        }
Looks almost the same.
To ftp the file here, I send it to incoming? I still don't see the Celestial Matters directory from my ftp client.
cartrite

I am still a bit confused. What you call landmask is like an output of my specmap tool, only it's better quality. Right? Probably as a matter of principle, it would be preferrable to provide your raw spec input file without residual light in the land. Some purists might still feel it looks like "plastic" in the rendering.

What do you think?

So it seems you are saying that you implement some Antarctica correction that is very simila to mine. Right?

Unfortunately, I don't know what CM guests have to do to upload files. That's Runar's expertise.

Cheers,
F.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next