It is currently Tue, 17-10-17, 20:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 30-08-08, 22:13 GMT 

OK, everything went fine and I can finally enjoy a set of wonderful 64K VT BMNG and Normal map.
Many thanks to Fridger, Steve and Bob.

@+
Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 30-08-08, 22:41 GMT 

vincent wrote:
OK, everything went fine and I can finally enjoy a set of wonderful 64K VT BMNG and Normal map.
Many thanks to Fridger, Steve and Bob.

@+
Vincent

Bob didn't do anything my friend. Your cohorts here on this quality site are responsible for getting me
into the VT world. The textures are truly beautiful too, are they not? Well worth some investment of time
and work in order to fully appreciate. :wink:

My thanks very much to you too, for all of your help with that damned CELX stuff. I don't know why, but I
simply cannot force my old brain to follow that (to me) non-procedural language. :roll:
I am also still looking for 64k night lights too, and I have also installed a larger 4K cloud map. These little
things really make a difference when you look at the world as a whole.

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 31-08-08, 12:46 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
My thanks very much to you too, for all of your help with that damned CELX stuff. I don't know why, but I simply cannot force my old brain to follow that (to me) non-procedural language. :roll:

Just keep on trying and asking. I'll be there anytime you need some help.
And I'm sure that you'll be OK with celx in a couple of weeks.
You learnt more about textures and cel scripting than the majority of Celestia users.

BobHegwood wrote:
I am also still looking for 64k night lights too, and I have also installed a larger 4K cloud map. These little things really make a difference when you look at the world as a whole.

Yes, I also use a 4K cloudmap, and I made my own 32K VT nightmap from the NGDC site.
After several years of use, I'm rediscovering Celestia and I get filled with wonder like a child. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 31-08-08, 12:59 GMT 
Site Admin

vincent wrote:
After several years of use, I'm rediscovering Celestia and I get filled with wonder like a child. :D

Indeed... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 31-08-08, 13:49 GMT 

+2 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 02-09-08, 2:07 GMT 

Just thought I'd let Steve know that his batch (.BAT) files work to perfection when used properly...
I kept getting a terminal error when I tried to view the area around the pyramids in Egypt, and I found out that I had apparently
screwed up my BMNG VT setup when I added Diane's Pyramid models and some surrounding VT's to this area of Egypt.

So, I simply deleted ALL of my virtual textures for the Earth, and I managed to recreate them easily in about one hour after
I simply re-read the instructions in this topic for what to do after all of the appropriate tools have been installed. Piece of cake.
I say this because, I had only to move the large NASA Blue Marble textures to a single directory where I also placed Steve's
batch files.

Went perfectly, so I just wanted to thank Steve again for these batch files. :)

I must admit though, that I am really now curious about the landmask portion of this conversion process.
How is the landmask incorporated into the finished VT tiles? We have no separate specular texture
tiles, so I am at a loss as to how the swbd-landmask-ver3.1x86400x43200.bin file gets incorporated into
the finished product.

Do you understand what I mean? Does the batch file merge the two large files somehow before
creating the individual tiles?

Sorry, I know it's another stupid question from old Brain-Dead, but I really am curious to know what is
going on in the make-bmng.bat routine. Also curious to know why there are no specular texture VT's.

Have I stated the question comprehensibly here? Sorry, but you all know how easily confused I can get.

At any rate, Steve's batch files do work very easily, and what I thought was going to be a lot of work, simply
turned out to be a real piece of cake. My Vt's are all working flawlessly once again, and I will do some
much more thorough examination of Diane's pyramids add-on before I try to recreate the tiles around
her models again.

Thanks all, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 02-09-08, 5:02 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
How is the landmask incorporated into the finished VT tiles? We have no separate specular texture
tiles, so I am at a loss as to how the swbd-landmask-ver3.1x86400x43200.bin file gets incorporated into
the finished product.

Do you understand what I mean?

Does the batch file merge the two large files somehow before
creating the individual tiles?

Thanks all, Bob

That last question is a correct assumption. Computer color images have 3 "channels". A Red, Green, and Blue channel. When these 3 gray images are combined, they produce a color image. But some file formats support 4 channels. So the fourth channel can hold a spec map if so desired. This increases the file size. For every pixel there are now 4 bytes. This is done by the program tx2rgba.

RGBA stands for the three color channels and the alpha channel.Take a look at the texture for the earth in the medres folder. It looks funny, right? That is because the texture has a specmap in the alpha channel. Some Image programs like the Gimp will let you decompose the image to RGBA. Then you can switch between each channel and see the 3 separate gray images and the black and white specmap.

These files are not like camera images. The camera will have a negative and a print to see. Remember those? They are a file with a long list of 1 and 0 bits. These 1 and 0 bits represent numbers. For every pixel in the RGBA image, there are 4 numbers. TX2RGBA can count the 3 numbers from the color image and place the fourth number in line and the Celestia program can look at each of these numbers separately.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Just thought I'd let Steve know that his batch (.BAT) files work to perfection when used properly...
Glad to hear that the batch files worked out for you. Thanks for the kind words.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 02-09-08, 6:48 GMT 

Bob... post a couple of screenies, just to get those of us who haven't yet had a go at these tools going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 02-09-08, 7:54 GMT 
Site Admin

Bob, forget Steven's tools, they are PC only.

Why don't you open a new thread, there you can write down your experience, problems etc. I'll go with you along the process, so relax! (then if the thread is interesting, we keep it for newbie on osX, else we ask Lisa to delete it...)

Again for you, the story begin with this thread: http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=240

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 02-09-08, 13:39 GMT 

bh wrote:
Bob... post a couple of screenies, just to get those of us who haven't yet had a go at these tools going!

Have already placed in earlier posts to this topic. Nothing has changed except that the VT's now
work correctly again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 07-09-08, 8:10 GMT 

vincent wrote:
Yes, I also use a 4K cloudmap, and I made my own 32K VT nightmap from the NGDC site.

FYI, I have just installed Don's 8K Cloud Map texture for the Earth, and I'm still getting approximately
16-20 FPS as I follow Christophe's Atlantis Space Shuttle around the planet. Really looks great, and the
cloud texture does add overall better effects to go hand in hand with the 64K VT's.

Now, there are times when the whole load of textures will cause Celestia to hesitate for a while, but I really
think that the total effect is well worth these minor hesitations.

Thanks again, Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7