It is currently Tue, 19-09-17, 16:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-08, 16:50 GMT 

One more quick question here...

Is there any way we can add level6 to this VT? In other words, I'm curious to know if today's computers can handle the shuffling needed to display a 128K texture for the Earth. If so, can we add a section here? Or, are there no textures available for such a rendition?

Sorry, but I guess I'm spoiled now. :wink: I absolutely love the Earth when displayed this way.

Thanks, Brain-Dead Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-08, 18:40 GMT 
Site Admin

I would say there is not any full data set of 128k or more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-08, 18:59 GMT 

I seem to recall that the Blue Marble image is larger than 64K but less than 128K. Fridger has pointed out several times that magnifying it to be 128K actually looses resolution.

If you want higher resolutions, you'll have to include the varous high resolution VTs of small regions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-08, 19:20 GMT 

A 128k texture is possible. Sort of. Some of the satellite images are 250 meters per pixel. Since the BMNG is 500 meters per pixel, the 250 meter images should be twice the size. Trouble is, they are not in color at that resolution. Only 2 bands are available at 250 meter.

I'm sure there are some out there though. I use ARC GIS and they have global coverage, in color, at very high resolution. Not like Google Earth either. With ARC GIS, I can see my truck parked outside my old apartment.

The specmap I did is 90 meter resolution. The SRTM3 data is also 90 meter. SRTM1 data is 30 meter. They could probably do a equivalent 256k texture but only between 60n and 60s. SRTM1 a 512k of the US. :shock:

Someday, I may try a 256k for 60n to 60s for a normalmap and specmap. Someday.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 05-08-08, 19:57 GMT 

Selden wrote:
I seem to recall that the Blue Marble image is larger than 64K but less than 128K. Fridger has pointed out several times that magnifying it to be 128K actually looses resolution.

If you want higher resolutions, you'll have to include the varous high resolution VTs of small regions.

Yes, I already have various high-resolution textures for specialized ares, but I was rather hoping that there was a set of images large enough somewhere so that we could get to a full Earth 128K VT.

Will keep my eyeballs open while I'm playing around on the web.

cartrite wrote:
A 128k texture is possible. Sort of. Some of the satellite images are 250 meters per pixel. Since the BMNG is 500 meters per pixel, the 250 meter images should be twice the size. Trouble is, they are not in color at that resolution. Only 2 bands are available at 250 meter.

Well, again, I'll keep my eyeballs open for a while. Seems to me that - as technology improves - we should be able to get these textures somewhere in the future. :wink:

Thanks very much, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 06-08-08, 14:12 GMT 

While we're at it here, are there any larger Night Map textures available?
Have searched for Blue Marble data, but apparently the original images we used to create the 32K Night Map VT's are still the best available. Anyone know of larger images we can use here to get to a 64K Night Map texture VT?

Would be nice to have a complete 64K VT representation for the Earth. The 32K textures are definitely nice, but they don't merge perfectly with the 64K VT we have created here. Just curious again.
Thanks, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 10:08 GMT 

Okay, another stupid question concerning VT's. If I have managed to obtain small areas of portions of the Earth which have been rendered in their own VT packages, and which feature different resolution textures, what is the procedure for merging larger tiles (2K or 4K) into our current 64K BMNG VT which features mostly 1024x1024 tiles?

Sorry for this additional dumb question, but I really do not understand what it takes to merge various resolution texture tiles.
Any helpful advice for the Brain-Dead on this topic?

Thanks, Brain-Dead

EDIT: The tiles I'm talking about exist in the levels 6-12 range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 12:20 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
Okay, another stupid question concerning VT's. If I have managed to obtain small areas of portions of the Earth which have been rendered in their own VT packages, and which feature different resolution textures, what is the procedure for merging larger tiles (2K or 4K) into our current 64K BMNG VT which features mostly 1024x1024 tiles?

Sorry for this additional dumb question, but I really do not understand what it takes to merge various resolution texture tiles.
Any helpful advice for the Brain-Dead on this topic?

Thanks, Brain-Dead

EDIT: The tiles I'm talking about exist in the levels 6-12 range.
I'm not sure what you mean here by "merge". As far as I know, there could be a 64k texture in one folder using 1k tiles, like the BMNG, and have high resolution textures of the earth in different folders, with different ssc and ctx files, using 2k tiles, 4k tiles, 512 pixel tiles, etc. If these higher resolution VT's are 1k and in the same format, they can be placed in the BMNG folder as long as it is the appropriate level.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 13:49 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean here by "merge". As far as I know, there could be a 64k texture in one folder using 1k tiles, like the BMNG, and have high resolution textures of the earth in different folders, with different ssc and ctx files, using 2k tiles, 4k tiles, 512 pixel tiles, etc. If these higher resolution VT's are 1k and in the same format, they can be placed in the BMNG folder as long as it is the appropriate level.

Steve,
I suppose that I am trying to figure out how to merge these new, larger textures into the BMNG VT. If I understand what you are saying here, I can re-size the large (2k or 4k) textures to 1K and then simply copy them to the appropriate level folders of my current BMNG VT?

Or, you are also saying that I can create another VT folder - with its own levels - in order to utilize the larger textures? This is where I get confused again.

If I use another VT with its own set of levels, will these be incorporated into my current 64k BMNG textures which are selected when I choose to display my High-Resolution alternate surface texture? Or, do I also have to specify an additional alternate surface texture which refers only to the very small areas of the Earth in which I am looking at with the new, larger textures?

Sorry, I know I'm Brain-Dead, but thanks for putting up with me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 15:34 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
Steve,
I suppose that I am trying to figure out how to merge these new, larger textures into the BMNG VT. If I understand what you are saying here, I can re-size the large (2k or 4k) textures to 1K and then simply copy them to the appropriate level folders of my current BMNG VT?

I suppose it depends on what resolution these vt's are using and if that resolution is a multiple of 2. Lets say you did your BMNG with 2k tiles like Fightspit. Then your level0 folder would have 2k tiles and the highest folder would be level4. Likewise, if you did a 64k texture with 4k tiles, the highest would be level3.

Now if you had a closeup 4k VT and it was in a level6 folder and meant to work with a 64k earth with 4k tiles and you want to get it to work with a 64k earth with 1k tiles, that would be the same as 16 1k tiles in level8, 4 1k tiles in level7, and 1 1k tile in level6.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I probably made some errors in my comments above. How about posting what you are really trying to do with a real example and I'll try to figure it out.

edit: I'm confused too. The example above might be 16 1k tiles in level10, 4 1k tiles in level9, and 1 1k tile in level8 (the same 4k scaled to 1k). :shock:
But it would go something like that. Experimenting would tell for sure.
edit2. Ah yes. Almost forgot. You'll need to derive the file names. The VT calculator still around?
cartrite

Last edited by cartrite on Fri, 15-08-08, 16:35 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 15:57 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
If I use another VT with its own set of levels, will these be incorporated into my current 64k BMNG textures which are selected when I choose to display my High-Resolution alternate surface texture? Or, do I also have to specify an additional alternate surface texture which refers only to the very small areas of the Earth in which I am looking at with the new, larger textures?
I think if you go this route, then you'll have to right click on the earth again and chose a different alternate texture. But don't hold me to that. I think I remember someone was able to combine these but had a weird directory tree. Can't remember who though.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 21:06 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
The VT calculator still around?

Methinks this is what I need here.
Most, but not all, of my tiles are 1K (1024x1024) throughout the BMNG VT which Dr. Schrempp and yourself took me through in this topic here on the forum.

I have found some rather interesting level6 through level12 tiles (at different resolutions) which I would like to incorporate into my current VT.

This presents no problems when I download a 1K addition, and all I need to do is copy the new tiles to the appropriate levels within my current VT.

If the new tiles are 2K or 4K though, then I cannot simply copy them into my current VT. Hence, my questions here. Ideally, I would like to cut a single 4K texture into 4 new 1K pieces, and then add them into my current BMNG VT.

So, where can one locate this "VT Calculator?" Or, is there some other resource, of which I am yet unaware, which can be used to derive the correct names for new tiles?

Thanks again, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 21:40 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
So, where can one locate this "VT Calculator?" Or, is there some other resource, of which I am yet unaware, which can be used to derive the correct names for new tiles?
There is a link to it in Selden's Virtual Surface Textures in the tools or utilities section. But the link redirects you to some other page.

http://www.shatters.net/~jim/files/VT-t ... ulator.zip

This part of the link works but as soon as you click on the files folder you get redirected.
http://www.shatters.net/~jim/
This is weird. Don't what is going on.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 21:56 GMT 

I had a look at the motherlode and I saw all the close up VT's there. Most are 2k. You would probably be better off if you created a 64k VT with 2k tiles rather than crop and rename all those files and move them to their right level folders.
I think it should be simple. Just txtiles the 64k bin file in level4, 32k file in level3, etc.
Code:
cd level4
txtiles 4 65536  4  2.7 < world.200408.4x65536x32768.RGBA.bin

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 15-08-08, 22:37 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
I had a look at the motherlode and I saw all the close up VT's there. Most are 2k. You would probably be better off if you created a 64k VT with 2k tiles rather than crop and rename all those files and move them to their right level folders.
I think it should be simple. Just txtiles the 64k bin file in level4, 32k file in level3, etc.
Code:
cd level4
txtiles 4 65536  4  2.7 < world.200408.4x65536x32768.RGBA.bin

cartrite

Okay, I also had a pretty extensive search for that calculator, but it apparently does not exist anymore.
I will do as you have suggested. Thanks again for all of your help here. Much appreciated. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next