It is currently Fri, 20-07-18, 18:21 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-05-08, 16:14 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 7:01 GMT
Posts: 4571
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Bob,

those narrow tiles are of course desired! They correspond to a gradual reduction of (horizontal) resolution towards the poles without sacrificing quality and for gaining speed and stability. Remember the circumference also becomes smaller towards the poles, compared to the equator!

Near the equator, though, your tiles should all be of size 1024x1024. You may well send me one of your unsatisfactory tiles for inspection.

Fridger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-05-08, 18:59 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
Just so you KNOW about it... :wink:

I re-ran Steve's batch files in my ExtractHere directory, and I now have the Blue Marble VT files up to and including level 5, and all work fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I must have mis-typed something in Steve's make-bmng.bat when I edited it for use with the June base texture.

I'm gonna go have an orgasm now, and I'll get back to you when I figure out how to finish the normal map stuff. :D

Edit: Actually, after some further testing, it seems that I had not waited long enough for Steve's first batch file, the "decompress-landmask.bat" file to execute properly. The first time I ran this file, I thought that it had executed when it returned to the command prompt. This had NOT in fact happened... I was seeing the command as it was still executing, and it took about three minutes to actually finish. So, I think that this was the problem the first time around. This time I waited patiently to insure that it had finished, so...

Rule Number SIX for the Brain-Dead trying to create Virtual Textures:
Make certain that the previous steps have ended before starting on the next step. :wink:


Last edited by BobHegwood on Mon, 12-05-08, 1:19 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 11-05-08, 20:50 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 7:01 GMT
Posts: 4571
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Happy orgasm! The "typo" solution was my favorite...

Cheers,
Fridger

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 3:14 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 25-10-07, 15:20 GMT
Posts: 992
Location: NE PA, USA
BobHegwood wrote:
Edit: Actually, after some further testing, it seems that I had not waited long enough for Steve's first batch file, the "decompress-landmask.bat" file to execute properly. The first time I ran this file, I thought that it had executed when it returned to the command prompt. This had NOT in fact happened... I was seeing the command as it was still executing, and it took about three minutes to actually finish. So, I think that this was the problem the first time around. This time I waited patiently to insure that it had finished, so...


The file should be 3.5 GB when it is finished decompressing. Windows should show 3,645,000 KB or 3,732,480,000 bytes. That is 86400x43200=3,732,480,000 bytes. If the file is smaller or larger, something went wrong.

Note that if one clicks on decompress-landmask.bat it should open a terminal and start running. On my system, the terminal disappears when it is finished. If the terminal stays open, it should at least return a prompt indicating it is ready for another command. According to what Bob experienced, this may differ from system to system. The best way to make sure that the decompression worked would be to make sure it is 3,645,000 KB or 3,732,480,000 bytes.
cartrite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 3:57 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
cartrite wrote:
The file should be 3.5 GB when it is finished decompressing. Windows should show 3,645,000 KB or 3,732,480,000 bytes. That is 86400x43200=3,732,480,000 bytes. If the file is smaller or larger, something went wrong.

Note that if one clicks on decompress-landmask.bat it should open a terminal and start running. On my system, the terminal disappears when it is finished. If the terminal stays open, it should at least return a prompt indicating it is ready for another command.
cartrite


Got it perfectly this time Steve, and thanks very much again for your help. I have also completed the Normal Mask part of the installation with NO troubles after I revised the previous posts to retrieve Doctor Schrempp's latest Nmtools package.

To create the complimentary Normal Maps, I simply copied the srtm_ramp2.world.86400x43200.bin.gz file to the same directory in which I had Steve's make-normalmap.bat file located, then I simply clicked on the .BAT file to create the 5 levels of normal map textures.

Once finished, I moved everything to the Celestia\extras directory of my choice, and my Earth is now rendered exceptionally, and beautifully with these textures.

So, it looks as if my work is finished here... :wink:

One other question though...
Anyplace we can get a Night Map to go with these textures now? :D


Last edited by BobHegwood on Fri, 16-05-08, 13:39 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 9:33 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 7:01 GMT
Posts: 4571
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Congratulations, Bob!

I am always happy when I see people succeed (no matter what the task was, provided it was a "good" one, of course) . ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 13:08 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 25-10-07, 15:20 GMT
Posts: 992
Location: NE PA, USA
Good going Bob, :D
Glad to see you got it figured out.

I got a suggestion though. You should probably supply a link to my new web page or my old web page instead of hot linking to the actual file. I'm about to update the ver3 landmask with ver4 and that would probably mess up the link you provided. The update will be a while though. See here. http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewt ... =4153#4153
cartrite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 14:59 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
cartrite wrote:
Good going Bob, :D
Glad to see you got it figured out.

I got a suggestion though. You should probably supply a link to my new web page or my old web page instead of hot linking to the actual file.


Have added your New Home Page link to the Rule5 message. Thanks again, Steve. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 12-05-08, 22:39 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue, 04-09-07, 8:49 GMT
Posts: 121
Location: Oxford UK
Post a screenie Bob... just to make me greener... hehe. Well done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 15:00 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
bh wrote:
Post a screenie Bob... just to make me greener... hehe. Well done.


Ask, and ye shall receive... :wink:

EDIT: See post further down. Since I didn't post very good images here anyway, I just removed these in order to save some space on my web site. It is simply amazing how much room you can use up with Celestia. :wink:


Last edited by BobHegwood on Mon, 04-08-08, 21:11 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 15:34 GMT 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri, 31-08-07, 7:01 GMT
Posts: 4571
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Bob,

while being nice, these screenshots MAINLY focus on various spacecraft models but seem to be pretty useless in illustrating the great amount of detail from the new "monster VT's" which were the subject of this Tutorial ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

PS: I do have some breathtaking screenshots, ideed...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 16:07 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
t00fri wrote:
Bob,

while being nice, these screenshots MAINLY focus on various spacecraft models but seem to be pretty useless in illustrating the great amount of detail from the new "monster VT's" which were the subject of this Tutorial ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

PS: I do have some breathtaking screenshots, ideed...


Again, ask, and ye shall receive... It's just that I was very much taken with the background images of the Earth while perusing some of your compatriot's excellent works. :wink:

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 16:11 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
Okay, one other note here...

I am now aware that NASA does have Night Maps available for use with their "WorldWide Telescope" software. Is there any way we can get these transported to the BMNG VT's?

Will investigate some more, but we should have these incorporated. Should we not? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 17:09 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu, 25-10-07, 15:20 GMT
Posts: 992
Location: NE PA, USA
BobHegwood wrote:
Okay, one other note here...

I am now aware that NASA does have Night Maps available for use with their "WorldWide Telescope" software. Is there any way we can get these transported to the BMNG VT's?

Will investigate some more, but we should have these incorporated. Should we not? :roll:

I was checking out this page.
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/download_ ... 94-95.html
I downloaded the Stable Lights which is about 12 MB and it has a nice map 43200x21600 in geotif format. I used gdal to translate it to png. Fridgers FTex-Tools should be able to VT it like the BMNG textures. Just run png2bin, tx2pow2, tx2half, txtiles, etc.
cartrite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 13-05-08, 17:38 GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat, 13-10-07, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 373
cartrite wrote:
I was checking out this page.
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/download_ ... 94-95.html
I downloaded the Stable Lights which is about 12 MB and it has a nice map 43200x21600 in geotif format. I used gdal to translate it to png. Fridgers FTex-Tools should be able to VT it like the BMNG textures. Just run png2bin, tx2pow2, tx2half, txtiles, etc.
cartrite


Thanks again, Steve. :D You are the man...
Was searching for and finding maps, but none of the higher-resolution you found above.

Also, found the following during my journeys to uncover why I had so much trouble downloading the large files with Vista.

Quote:
When the Visible Earth relaunched in 2005, all imagery on the site was available for immediate HTTP download. Unfortunately, this started to generate maintenance problems, as folks downloading the larger Blue Marble imagery (~400M) would be connected to the server for a very long time. Frequently they would be forcibly disconnected for maintenance, causing their downloads to abort. When Blue Marble: Next Generation launched, we had a large influx of files of equal, and LARGER, sizes. Since this would require more people to be dropped regularly, we decided to look for other ways of resolving the download options.


This was from the NASA Visible Earth web site. Just for everyone's information here. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group