It is currently Tue, 25-04-17, 14:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 15-05-08, 11:42 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
After watching the hires movie, I agree. An almost impossible task. Photoshop CS3 looks interesting. The method I used was quick and easy but not at all accurate. The full VT's is small though as far as disk storage. All the VT folders are only about 7 mb for the grayscale and 30 mb for the colorized versions so I can play around with these.
I used your image of Italy and used the channel mixer to get close to your image of Rome. Then I saved the settings to a file and colorized the Radiance Calibrated Lights with the channel mixer using the settings file I saved previously.
cartrite

Happy you could use my example. :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 15-05-08, 16:27 GMT 
Site Admin

Gimp has a REALLY good tool for coloration from a template color image. But the location changed recently, depending on the version:

for the most recent 2.4.x GIMPs, it's at

Colors->Map->SampleColorize

You got to load both the uncolored image (in RGB format!!!) and the RGB colored template image. It has to be selected in the image selector on the right, of course. Then don't forget to activate "use subcolors" which gives a much finer graduated mapping. In case there is some residual noise, for GIMP 2.4.x there are some VERY good de-noising plugins! You can also select particular regions of the template image for the mapping process, for example.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 15-05-08, 16:45 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Gimp has a REALLY good tool for coloration from a template color image. But the location changed recently, depending on the version:

for the most recent 2.4.x GIMPs, it's at

Colors->Map->SampleColorize

You got to load both the uncolored image (in RGB format!!!) and the RGB colored template image. It has to be selected in the image selector on the right, of course. Then don't forget to activate "use subcolors" which gives a much finer graduated mapping. In case there is some residual noise, for GIMP 2.4.x there are some VERY good de-noising plugins! You can also select particular regions of the template image for the mapping process, for example.

Fridger
Thanks Fridger, I think this was the tool I should have used. Haven't used this before. My Linux still uses Gimp 2.2. Gimp 2.4 is under the unstable development version and I didn't try to install. I use 2.4 with Windows though. The Gimp 2.2 has this tool in Filters->Colors->Map->SampleColorize.
This does a much better job.
Thanks Again.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 15-05-08, 16:51 GMT 
Site Admin

With this tool there are MANY tricks possible! Firstly you may limit/narrow the source and destination color ranges. Then you may select particular regions in the source template...

Only after hitting Apply, the actual image will be colorated. CTRL+Z always restores it to grayscale...many ways of playing games ;-)

Fridger

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Thu, 15-05-08, 17:29 GMT 

the gimp sample colorize is one of the tools i used for my night lights , and the base image was the
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/download_ ... 94-95.html
i do believe ,i will need to look in my files . plus the fire images. and yes the blue is not accurate but i like it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 1:49 GMT 

Sorry to disrupt this topic with another stupid question, but which data set did Andrea and/or John use to create the night maps?

If I use the F152003_v2_stable_lights_avg_vis.tif.gz file, I end up with images that are not flat (and aligned with the flat Earth textures we have used thus far), but I get images which appear to be residing on the globe. In other words, they will never line up with the VT maps after processing.

Just curious here... See Image below:

Thanks, BobImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 2:12 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
Sorry to disrupt this topic with another stupid question, but which data set did Andrea and/or John use to create the night maps?

If I use the F152003_v2_stable_lights_avg_vis.tif.gz file, I end up with images that are not flat (and aligned with the flat Earth textures we have used thus far), but I get images which appear to be residing on the globe. In other words, they will never line up with the VT maps after processing.

Bob,
File F152003_v2_stable_lights_avg_vis.tif.gz only covers from 65 north to 65 south latitude. If you looked at the image dimensions, you would see that they are 43201x15601. So you need to deal with the extra pixel to make it 43200x15600 and then add 3000 pixels to the top and bottom to make the finished image 43200x21600. After the extra pixels are dealt with (cropped off), it probably would be best to "paste" the F152003_v2_stable_lights_avg_vis.tif.gz on top of another nightlight image that has full coverage. The gimp can do this if you rectangle select a fixed size of 43200x15600 from a full nightlight image starting at pixel 0, 3000. Then copy F152003_v2_stable_lights_avg_vis.tif.gz and paste into the selection.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 2:49 GMT 

Okay thanks again, Steve. Will leave you people alone for a while now. :wink:

I know that I'm a "Pain in the Wazoo" myself, so I'll relax for a bit. Appreciate ALL of the advice here. I'm getting it slowly but surely.

Take care, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:14 GMT 

These two images are from my colorized 32k.tif nightmap:

As you see I changed the lights color for Japan only, because I found that all Japan lights are mercury vapours lamps.

I always had problems working on big files, because Photoshop couldn’t work on images bigger than 30k pixel.
In the last release a particular add-on, named “Bigger Tiles.8BXâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:25 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
But here the problem: when I go to save it, I can only do it in DDS - RAW - TIF format.

RAW should be binary. Just rename the file to .bin and run FTexTools.

I'm not sure why the gimp can't be configured to open and work with large files, I never had a problem even when I used my older computer many moons ago.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:45 GMT 

Andrea,

Don't know if it helps or not, but you can also convert TIF files usings the GDAL_TRANSLATE command-line utility, or even by a right-click using Windows explorer, and selecting "Convert Into..."

Of course, this assumes that you have installed the complete GDAL package from http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Piece of Cake to convert to PNG - even for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:47 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
Andrea wrote:
But here the problem: when I go to save it, I can only do it in DDS - RAW - TIF format.

I'm not sure why the gimp can't be configured to open and work with large files, I never had a problem even when I used my older computer many moons ago. cartrite

Thanks a lot, cartrite, I'll try this way tomorrow. :D
Regarding the GIMP, I think that most or ALL graphic softwares have problems with big files, Photoshop has not yet solved the problem, even if it is one of the most used worldwide. :wink:
Bye soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:56 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
Andrea, Don't know if it helps or not, but you can also convert TIF files usings the GDAL_TRANSLATE command-line utility, or even by a right-click using Windows explorer, and selecting "Convert Into..." Of course, this assumes that you have installed the complete GDAL package from http://fwtools.maptools.org/
Piece of Cake to convert to PNG - even for me :)

No, I have not installed GDAL up to now, too many things to be done (my daughter is near to her marriage day, so you can imagine what's happening to me, with all the family's women concentrated in my house, trying to suggest what to do and not to do, etc.. This is the Hell on the Earth, believe me! :evil: ). :cry:
I'll install it tomorrow, thanks a lot, Bob, very appreciated.
Bye

Last edited by Andrea on Fri, 16-05-08, 23:10 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 22:59 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
cartrite wrote:
Andrea wrote:

I'm not sure why the gimp can't be configured to open and work with large files, I never had a problem even when I used my older computer many moons ago. cartrite

Thanks a lot, cartrite, I'll try this way tomorrow. :D
Regarding the GIMP, I think that most or ALL graphic softwares have problems with big files, Photoshop has not yet solved the problem, even if it is one of the most used worldwide. :wink:
Bye soon

The important thing here is if Photoshop adds some sort of header to the raw file. It shouldn't but you may want to check the documentation. Also if you multiply the height and width of the file dimensions it should give you the number of bytes that should be present. The file size should be the same if the file is truly raw or binary with no headers.
Gdal may be able to "translate" the tif to png as Bob pointed out. But since you want a raw/bin file in the end, you may as well just save it as such.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between GeoTiff and Tif. I know there is an obvious difference in the headers but...... Anyhow I never tried to translate a regular tif file with GDAL. Just GeoTiff's.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 23:17 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
The important thing here is if Photoshop adds some sort of header to the raw file. It shouldn't but you may want to check the documentation. Also if you multiply the height and width of the file dimensions it should give you the number of bytes that should be present. The file size should be the same if the file is truly raw or binary with no headers.
Gdal may be able to "translate" the tif to png as Bob pointed out. But since you want a raw/bin file in the end, you may as well just save it as such. Andrea I'm not sure if there is a difference between GeoTiff and Tif. I know there is an obvious difference in the headers but...... Anyhow I never tried to translate a regular tif file with GDAL. Just GeoTiff's.
cartrite

Well, first I'll obtain a full 32K png file to test thoroughly, so I'll first try GDAL, then, after finalizing the image, I'll go on for VTs.
Thanks a lot, cartrite, good night, time to go sleeping now. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next