It is currently Thu, 19-10-17, 19:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 16-05-08, 23:44 GMT 

Andrea,
Hopefully you'll see this before you try to download GDAL.
Code:
gdal_translate -of png night-16k.tif test.png
ERROR 4: `night-16k.tif' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

GDALOpen failed - 4
`night-16k.tif' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

:oops: Disregard this. I forgot to cd to the proper directory. Me thinks me needs a beer.
Paragraph deleted. Gdal worked.

But. You have a 32k tif that can be opened with Photoshop. Open it and save as raw. Then run FTexTools as you would with any other .bin file. I'm pretty sure that the raw format saved by Photoshop is the same as .bin.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 0:36 GMT 

Here is my latest attempt. I used F152003 and rad-cal-lights to do this one. I pasted F152003 on top of rad-cal-lights. I set the opacity to 75%. So it is 75% F152003 and 25 % rad-cal-lights. Then used sample colorize to add the color.
Screenshot of Itatly.

Screenshot of NE. America.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 0:41 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
No, I have not installed GDAL up to now, too many things to be done (my daughter is near to her marriage day, so you can imagine what's happening to me, with all the family's women concentrated in my house, trying to suggest what to do and not to do, etc.. This is the Hell on the Earth, believe me! :evil: ). :cry:
I'll install it tomorrow, thanks a lot, Bob, very appreciated.
Bye

Andrea :D

Andrea,

All I can tell you for certain, is that gdal_translate works flawlessly for the TIF images I have downloaded from the NASA servers. Steve will know better than I about the formats, but I thought I'd try to pay back some of the kindness that you folks have shown me here... :wink:

As to the wedding, and your daughter?
Look at the bright side... You are getting RID of one more responsibility. :D

Got rid of mine years ago, and although I love her very much, I'd never want her back.
Boy, is THIS going to get me in some trouble. Hee, hee.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 15:03 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
Andrea,...You have a 32k tif that can be opened with Photoshop. Open it and save as raw. Then run FTexTools as you would with any other .bin file. I'm pretty sure that the raw format saved by Photoshop is the same as .bin.
cartrite

I confirm you are right, cartrite, the RAW file obtained by Photoshop and renamed as .bin worked flawlessly with Fridger's F-textools.
So I obtained my 32K VT Earth-night, thanks to both your suggestion and Fridger's wonderful tool.
Here 4 images showing my beautiful (but truly odd-shaped, isn't it?) country by night:

So many thanks once again.

Bob, regarding GDAL- Fwtools I have a little problem: where can I find the command list?
I searched but didn't find it. :oops:
Please, can you give me the link?
Very appreciated.
And regarding my daughter's wedding, I'm freeing myself by one responsibility, but I have another younger daughter, so more time to wait for total freedom.
Jocking, obviously.
My only wish is that they all may have a marriage as mine, 43 years up to now, not so bad. :wink:
Bye

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 15:47 GMT 

hi Andrea for very big images ( including .tiff , or for that matter any format supported by imagemagick ) i use nip2/vipt
---
http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
---
.png,.tiff are supported natively and i can open a 64k image on my old box with only 512 meg ram

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 16:00 GMT 

John Van Vliet wrote:
hi Andrea for very big images ( including .tiff , or for that matter any format supported by imagemagick ) i use nip2/vipt
---
http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
---
.png,.tiff are supported natively and i can open a 64k image on my old box with only 512 meg ram

Wow John, it's worth to give a look. :shock:
Thank you for the link, very appreciated.
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 17:20 GMT 
Site Admin

Geotif isaid to be "downward" compatible to standard tif format. Geotif contains extra "geo" information in it's header.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 18:50 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
Bob, regarding GDAL- Fwtools I have a little problem: where can I find the command list?
I searched but didn't find it. :oops:
Please, can you give me the link?
Very appreciated.

Ah... THANK YOU Andrea... :D

You Genius-Types see what I mean now? Not everyone knows how to use the command-line utilities the same way that you do.

Andrea, just type gdal_translate into your command prompt window and press Enter. You'll receive a listing of the command's prompts. As to a listing for ALL of the gdal commands, have a look at your C:\Program Files\gdalwin32-1.5\bin directory to see a listing of the other executables. You can do the same with each of these in the command line to find their help and options.

If you have any other problems, please view my Brain-Dead topic HERE for any other problems you may encounter.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... Hee... hee...

I REST my Brain-Dead case. :D :) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 19:43 GMT 

Quote:
Me thinks me needs a beer.
Quote:
You Genius-Types see what I mean now?
I'm anything but....... Right now I'm experiencing hair of the dog. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 20:45 GMT 

At last I have succeeded in creating a night lights texture that I am extremely pleased with. I will be posting the details of what it took for me to get this accomplished in the "Fridger's Texture Tools for the Brain-Dead" topic located elsewhere in this "Texture Tools" directory.

I am very, VERY happy now. :D :) :lol: :wink:

Many thanks to Steve (Cartrite), and to all of you people for your patience and understanding with this Brain-Dead Old Geezer as he attempted these processes.

See latest screen shot below:

I LIKE my Night Lights in this manner, but that's not the important part. The important part is that you all educated me to the point where I could create this VT myself. Very much appreciated.

Also a sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU to the Good Doctor (and/or) Mona Lisa :wink: for allowing me to learn in such a way that others may now benefit from my experiences here.

Again, MANY thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 23:35 GMT 

Bob, thanks a lot for your information about GDAL_translate help, very appreciated. :D
I was searching anyhow for this, and found this wonderful printable page, that explains ALL what is needed for the "translate" commands:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html

Very useful indeed. 8)
Hope this will help someone else.
Bye and thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 17-05-08, 23:52 GMT 

Andrea wrote:
Bob, thanks a lot for your information about GDAL_translate help, very appreciated. :D

You are very welcome my friend... :)

Andrea wrote:
I was searching anyhow for this, and found this wonderful printable page, that explains ALL what is needed for the "translate" commands:

I am very sorry, Andrea, but I didn't understand that THAT was what you wanted. I thought you just wanted to know the syntax of the commands (which can all be found simply by typing the name of each of the commands on a new command line.)

You should be able to find similar pages for ALL of the gdal commands in that same parent directory.

Oops... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 18-05-08, 9:08 GMT 

BobHegwood wrote:
Andrea wrote:

I am very sorry, Andrea, but I didn't understand that THAT was what you wanted. I thought you just wanted to know the syntax of the commands (which can all be found simply by typing the name of each of the commands on a new command line.)
You should be able to find similar pages for ALL of the gdal commands in that same parent directory.
Oops... :oops:

No, my fault, or better my bad English's fault, I had to ask for "commands explanation" instead of "command list". :oops:
I already found the other pages, and the mostly important one, i.e. that with all the available graphic extensions, linking for each of them to their related commands and explanations, here:

http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

I hope once again this can help someone else to make a try with GDAL.
Thanks a lot, my friend
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 14-06-08, 19:47 GMT 
Site Admin

Just in case someone needs hires color images of big cities from space for GIMP-coloration of their 32k radiation calibrated nightlights texture, I screen-dumped some still images from the beautiful 720x480 hires movie that ANDREA found here

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/cities/CitiesAt ... 0edit7.mpg

OK, here we go:

• Kairo (Click to enlarge)
  • Hong Kong (Click to enlarge)
  • London: (Click to enlarge)
  • Tokyo (Click to enlarge)

Here is a 16k result, obtained by brightening the radiation calibrated nightlight texture by +35 in GIMP and applying a Wavelet denoising plugin at the end.

[click to enlarge]

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 11-07-08, 21:37 GMT 
Site Admin

Here is my GIMP-colored, 32k radiation calibrated nightlights map at the border to light:

The coloration was done like in the images above with appropriate photos of cities at night by astronauts.

However, I think the image is simply too much reduced to show what it has to show ...

Fridger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next