It is currently Tue, 21-11-17, 2:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 15:27 GMT 
Site Admin

Goofy wrote:
Thank you Fridger, I understand the problem of misalignment, so I'll exclude the possibility to use the 32k matched with LRO-LOLA.
But, when we knew of the Change 2 monstrous texture, I downloaded it and tried to convert it to a 32k map using the command-line tool gdal_translate of the FWTools, but it looks like this doesn't work under windows 7, at least for what I know, (but may be I'm wrong, anyway).
So if possible I would like to have, for testing it (as is and without normalmap), the 32k Chang 2 you was able to obtain with FWTools (with Linux, I suppose, correct?).
Could you be so kind to share it .... please?

Anyway I'll wait patiently for the full 16k, when it will be available.
Thank you for the clear explanation and for all the stuff.
Bye

Goofy :D

Goofy,

Unfortunately, you didn't ask 1-2 weeks earlier! After my 16k Chang'e 2 Moon was finalized, I deleted all the bigger texture sizes I had prepared on the way. This includes the original monster texture in .JP2 format. Otherwise I would have made another 32k .JP2 or .PNG for you from the original by means of GDAL. But downloading that monster original again would block my network for too long. This cleaning was urgently required since my harddisk was very close to an overflow!

Dealing with this unprocessed 32k map is really not worth the effort. Please remember that due to the high angle of the sun during the imaging, the Chang'e map shows very little shading. This is a great benefit for dynamical shading via a normalmap. But without the latter such "flat" surface maps look highly disappointing!

I still have my 32k VT set that is colored but misaligned! However, as a matter of principle, I never release processed material that has significant flaws (here it's the misalignment). Moreover, the slow uploading of the 32k VTs (~ 2GB) to my Ibiblio server would again block my network for a long long time.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 16:29 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Goofy, Unfortunately, you didn't ask 1-2 weeks earlier! After my 16k Chang'e 2 Moon was finalized,....
Dealing with this unprocessed 32k map is really not worth the effort. ....I still have my 32k VT set that is colored but misaligned! However, as a matter of principle, I never release processed material that has significant flaws ...
Fridger

OK Fridger, I understand all of this.
Just for a help, do you know any other way to work on the original monster texture, different from FWTools that didn't work with Win 7?
I would like to try myself on that texture, if possible.
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 17:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Goofy wrote:
t00fri wrote:
Goofy, Unfortunately, you didn't ask 1-2 weeks earlier! After my 16k Chang'e 2 Moon was finalized,....
Dealing with this unprocessed 32k map is really not worth the effort. ....I still have my 32k VT set that is colored but misaligned! However, as a matter of principle, I never release processed material that has significant flaws ...
Fridger

OK Fridger, I understand all of this.
Just for a help, do you know any other way to work on the original monster texture, different from FWTools that didn't work with Win 7?
I would like to try myself on that texture, if possible.
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Goofy,

unfortunately one needs GDAL for the first step if you are running Win 7. As a GDAL test within Win7/64 bit, I also tried to reduce the original 214k Chang'e .JP2 texture some time ago. It worked OK at first, but shortly before the end , stopped with an error. Too bad.

I'll see, perhaps during my absence I'll try to download the Chang'e original map once more and produce a 32k Chang'e 2 map for you. What format would you prefer? JP2 or PNG?

And how do you want to get rid of those disturbing stripes?? For that you need the professional-level ISIS3.3 suite, which only runs under LInux.

You might want to learn about using my F-TexTools that represent the best available 'weapons' for kingsize textures. For instance to quickly produce highest quality normalmaps or VT tiles etc. My tools are cross-platform (Linux, Windows & MAC-OSX). The respective binaries are included in the archives.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 17:36 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Goofy, unfortunately one needs GDAL for the first step if you are running Win 7. ... It worked OK at first, but shortly before the end , stopped with an error. Too bad. I'll see, perhaps during my absence I'll try to download the Chang'e original map once more and produce a 32k Chang'e 2 map for you. What format would you prefer? JP2 or PNG? And how do you want to get rid of those disturbing stripes?? For that you need the professional-level ISIS3.3 suite, which only runs under LInux. You might want to learn about using my F-TexTools that represent the best available 'weapons' for kingsize textures. For instance to quickly produce highest quality normalmaps or VT tiles etc. My tools are cross-platform (Linux, Windows & MAC-OSX). The respective binaries are included in the archives. Fridger

Well, now all is clear, thanks to you. So, even if you'll be so kind (appreciated!) to produce a 32k map for me, it is not worth the needed time, due to the striping that I could not eliminate, even if I'll try to learn how to use ISIS, having a Windows based system.
So thank you anyway, I'll wait for your 16k map. :wink:

Regarding your F-TexTools, I've already used them for both texture and normal of the wonderful 64k VT Earth map, with outstanding and very quick results, thank you.
Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 21:42 GMT 
Site Admin

Goofy,

here is another suggestion in case you mainly wanted to do some practicing with image manipulations and the like. I still have an unprocessed 16k reduction of the original 214k map. That I could easily upload. Also for practicing, it is a perfect size, since all operations e.g. with GIMP run quickly. With a reasonably potent graphics card you can display it also in one piece (i.e. without making VT tiles).
With a 16k map you could even try to eliminate the stripes in a non-automatic fashion in GIMP.

Let me know if this would help.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 18-04-12, 23:13 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Goofy, here is another suggestion in case you mainly wanted to do some practicing with image manipulations and the like. I still have an unprocessed 16k reduction of the original 214k map. That I could easily upload. Also for practicing, it is a perfect size, since all operations e.g. with GIMP run quickly. With a reasonably potent graphics card you can display it also in one piece (i.e. without making VT tiles). With a 16k map you could even try to eliminate the stripes in a non-automatic fashion in GIMP.
Let me know if this would help.
Fridger

Fridger, you are indeed very kind.
I would like to give it a try with GIMP, that I never used (I use only PShop).
If you'll upload it for me I'll be very happy.
The format could be jpg or png or dds, what's better for you.
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 19-04-12, 20:20 GMT 
Site Admin

Goofy,

please have a look in your PM inbox.

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 08-09-13, 0:15 GMT 

Fridger, your moon texture looks brilliant, the contrast and color look amazing.

I hope that one day you will release it. by the way, what is 16k or 32k, is that like 16000 vertical pixels? Similar to 4k or 720/1080 resolutions are measured etc?

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun, 08-09-13, 7:06 GMT 
Site Admin

Absolom wrote:
by the way, what is 16k or 32k, is that like 16000 vertical pixels? Similar to 4k or 720/1080 resolutions are measured etc?

xk refere to the horizontal number of pixels. A 16k map is a 16384px wide image. 32k is 32768px wide, etc...

PostPosted: Sun, 08-09-13, 8:32 GMT 
Site Admin

Absolom wrote:
Fridger, your moon texture looks brilliant, the contrast and color look amazing.

I hope that one day you will release it. by the way, what is 16k or 32k, is that like 16000 vertical pixels? Similar to 4k or 720/1080 resolutions are measured etc?

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome here at CM, Mark.

My Moon texture will of course be part of the forthcoming celestia.Sci distribution. Its actual release date will depend on the amount of programming support that the project will receive in form of further knowledgable and devoted developers... ;)

PostPosted: Tue, 17-09-13, 1:26 GMT 

Really beautiful work. I look forward to being able to d/l this.

It's great to see work being done on Celestia once again.

:o)

PostPosted: Tue, 17-09-13, 8:40 GMT 
Site Admin

Thanks!

Fridger

PostPosted: Sun, 16-03-14, 12:31 GMT 

Since I'm from China, I'm very interested in Chang'e. So... Doctor Schrempp, you got the data from CNSA? ;)

PostPosted: Sun, 16-03-14, 15:47 GMT 
Site Admin

Celestial Phineas wrote:
Since I'm from China, I'm very interested in Chang'e. So... Doctor Schrempp, you got the data from CNSA? ;)

I got the Chang'e 2 data a while back from a Chinese server, the URL of which was availble at shatters.net (that is in-accessible now). It is not my business to distribute further any Chang'e data, of course. Possibly, John Van Vliet knows of a later (more official) access to their data. Also you would need a pretty fast connection, since the original data size is 8.5 GB!

Fridger

PostPosted: Mon, 17-03-14, 2:35 GMT 

I do not know of where the chang data is -- but i also have not looked for it .

The LRO data is what i am using . Also it is supported by the software i am using ISIS3
the LRO-WAC has a lot of good data
--- bookmarked --
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LRO ... AC_GLD100/
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LRO ... AC_GLOBAL/
now it DOSE need to be filtered through for the sun angle so as to remove "most" of the shadows

shadow free is what i am interested in . Mapmakers and cartographers like shadows , that makes it easier to draw maps

as for color information the moon is mostly gray with some tints in the yellow and brown and blue depending on just what mineral you are looking at

-- color data --
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LRO ... E235S1590/
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LRO ... E300S0975/