It is currently Tue, 21-11-17, 2:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-12-07, 22:49 GMT 
Site Admin

All is fine now apart it seems my poor config don't like 1024 tiles; how to do a set of 512 tiles? BTW, in a common VT declaration, one must enter the size of the tiles; now I noticed some of the tiles are 256x 1025 for example. Where is the trick? or this declaration in the ctx is useless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-07, 2:52 GMT 
Site Admin

As displayed in the txtiles help,

Code:
-----------------------------------------------
tilesize[pixel] = width/2^(level+1)

A tilesize of 1024x1024 would therefore associate level=0 with a texture size of 2k x 1k

and generally

width(level) = 1024 x 2^(level+1).

So if you want a smaller tilesize, e.g. 512, you associate level=0 with a texture of size of 1024x512 and generally,

width(level) = 512 x 2(level +1) , level=0,1,2,3,,4,...

These settings only correspond to the true tilesize near the equator. In the polar regions, my tile optimization algorithm makes the tile width smaller than the nominal one, in order to have less overlap of tiles in this region during the rendering stage.

Bye Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-07, 9:55 GMT 
Site Admin

t00fri wrote:
As displayed in the txtiles help,

Code:
tilesize[pixel] = width/2^(level+1)

A tilesize of 1024x1024 would therefore associate level=0 with a texture size of 2k x 1k

and generally

width(level) = 1024 x 2^(level+1).

So if you want a smaller tilesize, e.g. 512, you associate level=0 with a texture of size of 1024x512 and generally,

width(level) = 512 x 2(level +1) , level=0,1,2,3,,4,...

These settings only correspond to the true tilesize near the equator. In the polar regions, my tile optimization algorithm makes the tile width smaller than the nominal one, in order to have less overlap of tiles in this region during the rendering stage.

Bye Fridger

Ok, I think I see the trick, I have to test now to be sure. Tx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-07, 11:12 GMT 
Site Admin

Well, unfortunately, my config definitely won't handle this kind of VTs even in 512 tiles... too bad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-07, 11:46 GMT 

ElChristou wrote:
Well, unfortunately, my config definitely won't handle this kind of VTs even in 512 tiles... too bad...

You mean your system can't handle any vt? Even those already available?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-07, 12:57 GMT 
Site Admin

A simple base VT is ok; now multiple VTs won't do it at all... my old card is only 32 Mo so it's quite limited...
Anyway I read to some rumors about some LED and flash HD in January for a new Apple laptop so depending on the graphic board I think it won't take long for me to get a new config! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 16-12-07, 14:34 GMT 

Fridger,
Forgive me if this was already dicussed and I didn't see it. I just tried you F-TexTools for Windows. I tried the Windows Installer that I have a link to on the Watermask page at CM and that would not work. http://www.celestialmatters.org/users/t ... e4.bin.exe
It would not install. Something about not being able to create a temp file in DocumentsandSettings......\Local\Temp

Anyhow after I downloaded the binaries and ran setup program in the win directory the installation went smoothly. But when I tried one of the programs at the command line it wasn't recognized. I looked at my Environment variables it looked like this. ;C:\Program Files\F-TexTools. I removed the ; in front of the path and everything worked afterwards. The reason there was a leading ; was that my user path was empty before I installed it. Maybe you should have the setup modify the system path instead. Users who have an empty path will have a problem like me. And they may not know how to fix it. Maybe that was danielj's problem.

I'm doing this on windows so I can test a bat file I wrote. If I get it working I'll post it somewhere so others can use it.
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 17-12-07, 20:55 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite,

your little problem with the leading ';' in the Windows PATH environment variable is not new to me. I encountered it as well, I seem to remember. But there was a catch: The problem arises ONLY in case of users whose $PATH was EMPTY before installation of the F-TexTools! ;-) That causes a trailing ; . Normally, ; is the separator for a previous entry...

Over the Christmas holidays, I have 16 free days until January 7th ;-). So I plan to thoroughly test the tools once more, adapt them to your new specular map and do a final release of the F-TexTools.

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 18-12-07, 1:39 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
The reason there was a leading ; was that my user path was empty before I installed it.

Fridger wrote:
The problem arises ONLY in case of users whose $PATH was EMPTY before installation of the F-TexTools!

:wink: But this problem probably isn't with the tools but the inno script. I wonder if the is a conditional way of updating the $PATH. So if it is empty, no leading ;.
Fridger wrote:
Over the Christmas holidays, I have 16 free days until January 7th Wink. So I plan to thoroughly test the tools once more, adapt them to your new specular map and do a final release of the F-TexTools.

OK. Let me know if I should alter the new landmask file any from the way it is now. I still have the originals that are unaltered. In fact the original output file from the scripts is inverted. A watermask. Like the one that is at CM now.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 23-02-08, 2:54 GMT 

Hello,
I already used the nmtools some time ago and now I am starting with the F-tex tools (version see thumb).
But I´m getting an error on my machine Q6600 with XP x64 whenever I try to run the windows installer.
Is XP 64 bit not supportd or is it only a problem with the installer or with my machine ?

Jörg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 24-02-08, 1:18 GMT 

Problem solved.
It was the installer. I unpacked the other multi platform package and edited the path-variable manually.

Now I´m looking forward to new views within celestia, it´s like christmas... my biggest vt-texture has been jestrs jm II dds in 32k with some normalmap that I didn´t like at all and deleted it finally to save loading time...

Bye,
Jörg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 24-02-08, 8:31 GMT 
Site Admin

Joerg,
sorry for reacting a bit late (we are having the house full of guests): yes indeed the installer was for Win32. I don't have any XP x64 available.

Good luck with the F-TexTools.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 07-12-09, 12:13 GMT 

dirkpitt wrote:
Running nvimgdiff on 2 png images (generated with and without optimization) I got zero (?!) error:
[...]
Anyway, I would have thought there might have been some roundoff errors due to the two pass approach... but hey, I'm not complaining. :wink:

PNG is a lossless format, and libpng uses only integer arithmetic, so there's no roundoff and anything other than zero would have been surprising.

About the assembler optimization: we had to abandon it because of licensing issues. It was hard work to maintain but we had a person who was willing to keep on top of it. The latest version containing the MMX optimizations was 1.2.19, August 2007.

Glenn R-P (CM newbie, libpng developer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 07-12-09, 13:03 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn,

welcome at CM! Sorry that it took a little long with the authorization... From your profile, I am sure you will be an excellent addition for our favorite topics here.

Fridger

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Mon, 14-12-09, 6:20 GMT 

Quote:
A simple base VT is ok; now multiple VTs won't do it at all... my old card is only 32 Mo

older and smaller than my geForce 2 mx 400 card
this thing can do a std vt texture and a normal map vt ( but no clouds vt's 2k max rotating and 4k max still)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next